Author Topic: Install intake manifold on 440  (Read 3680 times)

Offline WVUFELLA

• (OO/---------\OO) closest i could for a 72
Install intake manifold on 440
« on: August 28, 2007 - 10:11:13 AM »
I was reading a post back in april and i just want to clerify somethin. As i read it said that installing the valley pan that some people dont use the cardboard/ paper gaskets at all.  Thye just use the valley pan and that is it. Is this correct?? I thought you put a paper gasket  on head .... then put the valley pan .... then another cardboard /paper gasket on top intake.... then put intake down and tighten down.... SO if you saw a cross section it  wouold be intake manifold/gasket/valley pan/ gasket/cyl head.   Maybe i have been doing this all wrong.?????? Could someone verify if this is right  maybe i read to far into it or somethin ?????

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Install intake manifold on 440
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007 - 10:48:23 AM »
the way you are doing it is correct , I generally just use the paper side gaskets between the head & pan & silicone between the pan & intake , often it is very difficult to get the intake on with the added thickness using both side gaskets ,it can also be done with no side gaskets as well , this is the way the factory did it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline WVUFELLA

• (OO/---------\OO) closest i could for a 72
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007 - 10:54:39 AM »
yes it does take alot more to fool with the bolts. I guess without that extra gasket it would give you more clearance. However not using those gaskets give you more fo a chance for a vac leak wouldnt it??

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007 - 10:57:41 AM »
Yes , oil or vacuum leaks

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007 - 11:20:14 AM »
I never use the paper gaskets, never any leaks.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007 - 11:34:34 AM »
yes it does take alot more to fool with the bolts. I guess without that extra gasket it would give you more clearance. However not using those gaskets give you more fo a chance for a vac leak wouldnt it??

I just use Gasgasinch on both sides of the valley pan, then use RTV on the front and rear part where the steel hold down bars run. No leaks.  :smokin:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007 - 12:23:46 PM »
in rare cases I have seen oill sucked up into the intake but more likely due to intakes that were milled at the wrong angle , generally you willnot have an intake leak just using the pan 

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007 - 04:22:13 PM »
I tried both paper gaskets on my 440 and it was so tight I cross threaded a bolt and stripped out the head. Put a heli-coil in the head (worked great) and tried with one paper gasket. Tight fit but it worked. In the past I've used no paper gaskets with no problem. I also used gasgacinch. Next time I will fit everything up dry (sans sealer) and go with whatever fits the best.
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other