Author Topic: Aftermarket brake booster  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Mike71Cuda

Aftermarket brake booster
« on: August 28, 2007 - 10:33:19 AM »
Hey gang,
After all of my problems with getting my Hemi started I am not done!
I bought an aftermarket pwr brake booster (8 inch-based on what they said would work with Hemi) and mstr cyl from MP in N. Carolina. I realize the booster interfers with the valve cvr on the drivers side. MP will give me a deal on a 7 inch piece $125 instead of usual $195, but they will not take it back! They say it was out of time with regard to purchase date. I understand that, but the piece has not even been used. I told them I would have to let them know. What are thoughts on this, just buy it from MP or shop around? If I shop around who would I look to? Yes I know some of you have told me to loose the booster, right now that is not an option. I guess I am a little pissed that they suggest the piece and it does not fit and it is my problem. If they had just offered the 7 inch to avoid these problems you would not be reading this thread! Thoughts?

Offline JS23U0B

Re: Aftermarket brake booster
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007 - 10:36:51 AM »
I say get the 7in for cheaper now, and drive on. I am sure you can off load the other later.

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007 - 10:51:55 AM »
I would get the 7in if you have to have power brakes.  Otherwise loose the booster.
The other option is the hydroboost, but you will have shell the money for the hydroboost and new master cylinder.

Offline PasiR

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007 - 04:25:28 AM »
HemiDog, could you show your engine completely??  :ylsuper:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007 - 06:21:16 AM »

That sucks Mike, sorry to hear about this. Sounds very bad of them to do this to you.
It's like getting a PC for games that they setup, then the games don't work but they won't fix it, very stupid.

I too am using a hydro-boost brake system as I didn't like the way the power boost took up 99% of engine bay LMAO j/k but yeah, I opted for the modern booster which could pass as factory to those who don't know. Small compact and holds more pressure if the engine does die. It's only marginal but still, those extra pumps may save you life.

Hope you get your problem sorted.  :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007 - 11:41:41 AM »
HemiDog, could you show your engine completely??  :ylsuper:

I took a few updated pictures and put them all in this post with some others I had before, during, and after the install.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=36952.0

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007 - 02:55:15 PM »
From bad to worse.
So I got the 7 inch booster and it clears. mounted my mstr cyl and tied lines in but back one would not seat, thread in cyl is shot, cross threaded. My buddy did it and then tried to chase it with a tool he had. Which was great until I told him not to bottom it out and wipe out fitting that accepts flared line.TOO LATE! mushroomed over-he owes me beers now! Ok no problem, I can buy a 78-79 aspen (alum) replacement. $44 at NAPA, cool on my way until I notice the replacement has a recessed piston where as the Master Power piece is flush-Mstr Pwr is close on weekend. They are both held with a spring clip. The BIG question is can I swap them out? diameters are the same, I had NAPA dude mic it. Before I rip apart mst cyl with bad threads I thought I would ask
Thx
Smitty

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007 - 10:02:13 AM »
Here are some pics

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007 - 10:08:00 AM »
Here is what I meant about swapping out master cyl guts. this is MC I have from Master Power.
NAPA alum unit off of 78 Aspen looks way different I will try an get a pic at lunch from NAPA