Author Topic: Opening up a 'cuda hood.  (Read 4014 times)

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
Opening up a 'cuda hood.
« on: August 28, 2007 - 09:03:03 PM »
As some of you know I have cut open my rallye hood.I am in the process of making a fiberglass scoop that attaches to the under side of the hood and drops down around a K&N air filter with the top flow design and a base plate. Essentially turning the scoops into functional ram air units. I am currently trying different ideas with cable actuated baffles that can be closed durring rain.  If you'd like to change it back,find un-cut inserts to put back in. Here's what I did...  I will update this.

1.remove scoop inserts
2. remove the insert fillers
3.cut out scoop insert.
4.scribe cut from insert to hood
5.cut hood.
6.replace scoop inserts,and installed mesh to keep out large debris.

I made a cardboard template for the mesh. Then cut it out with a scissors.I left enough to make a return flange in the mesh that you sandwich inbetween the hood and insert....holding it in place.  I'll take some more pics soon when I dissasemble for paint. I cut holes with an angle grinder and a cut off wheel. The inserts are magnesium I think. The cut off wheels did not like this part. I went through 5 total. Take your time,and WEAR GOGGLES!!  It came out really nice. And helped the airflow alot.  I can't wait to finish up the forced system.   I may be asking to get bashed but... What do you think? 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007 - 08:46:48 AM by IMNCARN82 »
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline stinger

Re: Opening up a 'cuda hood.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007 - 09:10:54 PM »
I have often wondered why these hood were never made functional,they look like they should be.I was thinking about doing the same thing and am very interested seeing how it turns out with the ram air.

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007 - 09:33:00 PM »
Sounds like a cool project. My inserts are cut out also. I don't know if it gets much more fresh air into the engine, but I think it looks better. The inserts just make it too obvious that the scoops are non functional. I've never understood the significance of the inserts.
Dave

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007 - 09:47:36 PM »
Fresh Air, 5 to 10 h.p. maybe. not a bad idea...I have a extra pair of scoops. I just may try it...

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007 - 09:51:12 PM »
My inserts were cut out when I bought my car. I added mesh like you did to keep out things from being sucked into the air filter. Keep posting picss of your project. I remember seeing a company that sells a air filter with hoses for air induction. I'll try to find a pic.
1974 Barracuda

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007 - 10:04:17 PM »
I knew i'd seen a funky looking ram air kit. Check out this site http://www.ramairbox.com/  maybe something there can be adapted to the cuda scoops.
1974 Barracuda

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007 - 10:24:18 PM »
My unit is basically a mold of the top of the hood turned upside down with a hole cut out for the air filter.With walls that come down around the air filter.It will come down against a base plate with a rubber gasket on it to seal.It would be adaptable to any engine configurations. Very clean and simple. Bolts up under the hood to the scoop mounts. The baffles will open/close with a cable like a manual choke.   I've had this in the works for awhile,I'm getting close.I'm really looking to find a nice slim cable actuated baffle thingy? to fab up to the back of the scoops. I need it to function well and not look bulky. Hopefully i can find something to get out of making something from scratch. It wouldn't be bad if I only had to make one but....mayby someone else might want one too... :stirpot:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007 - 10:25:59 PM by IMNCARN82 »
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007 - 10:56:45 PM »
THE INSERTS are not far enough  up to have a ram air effect.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

sleepychallenger

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007 - 12:55:38 AM »
looks good. i want to do the same thing when i get the chally a bulge hood

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007 - 08:18:45 AM »
mayby someone else might want one too... :stirpot:

As in any manufacturing process, the more you make the lower the production costs  :blah:  you may have a market here?
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007 - 08:58:02 AM »
THE INSERTS are not far enough  up to have a ram air effect.

The scoops do not need to be in front of the carb to be a ram air.This is basically an adaptation of an "air-grabber" system.I may not be using the proper terms to describe this.The prototypes show alot of potential.Clean fit,light weight.I'm still tweaking some things on the patterns. I am making a mold,allowing for part runs.

A hood this cool needs to be functional :grinyes:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007 - 09:17:39 AM by IMNCARN82 »
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Fred

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007 - 11:21:30 AM »
Thank you for posting this!   :clapping:  It's something I have wanting to inquire about on this site for some time.  I opened a spare set of inserts for mine, but never took it any further.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Offline Ross

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007 - 01:11:04 PM »
I drilled out the baffles on my Challengers bulge hood.

When idling, at a standstill, air actually flows out the scoops!
One could do a simple string and tape test to see what actually happens to the air with these modified scoops while driving.

Just my 2 cents,
Ross
'70 340 Challenger

A whole lot of rust and very little time to work on it...

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007 - 01:31:16 PM »
I could understand that at a stand still they become heat vents. There is a whole lotta heat under the hood of our cars.

I agree that they may not be high enough up in the airflow to make a big difference in power, but, how big is big.  If they aren't isolated to feed the carb directly, they will actually make no difference at all. A properly sealed fresh air system can remove at least a couple of tenths at the drag strip though. How much of a difference the smallish, low factory scoops make may be pretty minimal.

But it is cool, none the less.

Offline Ross

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007 - 01:32:52 PM »
But it is cool, none the less.

Exactly why I did it! :2thumbs:
'70 340 Challenger

A whole lot of rust and very little time to work on it...