Author Topic: Challenger Pace Car Crash Video  (Read 2025 times)

Offline JJ

• Challenger-Registry
Challenger Pace Car Crash Video
« on: August 29, 2007 - 11:42:14 PM »
I am not sure if it was posted already. Anyway, here it is:

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
Re: Challenger Pace Car Crash Video
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007 - 11:47:11 PM »
Wow, I have never seen that video.

Thanks for posting it.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007 - 11:54:07 PM »
Wonder what happened to that car??   :clueless:

sleepychallenger

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007 - 12:09:54 AM »
i thought that someone restored it.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007 - 01:43:26 AM »
Wow, I have never seen that video.

Thanks for posting it.
:iagree:

Never seen it either.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007 - 06:02:25 AM »
Interesting, I had always heard 2 people were killed. 

http://www.moparaction.com/extra/Driving/Driving.html

Offline Dave-R

• Challenger Message Board
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007 - 07:47:57 AM »
Here is some information I put together years ago about this incident for those that do not know the story.

A 1971 Dodge Challenger convertible was selected to be the pace car for the 1971 Indianapolis 500 race.
However what should have been a fantastic promotion for Dodge turned into a nightmare when at the start of the race the car crashed into a press stand killing one person and giving the rest something to write headlines about.

Four local dealers provided 50 cars, to be sold to the public or used on parade duties, fitted out like the actual pace car.
Only the actual pace car had a big block (383) engine. Two others had 340 cubic inch small blocks and the other 47 were 318 powered. All of the cars were painted orange and had white tops. The three cars with the larger engines had the lettering hand painted on the sides but the others had decals which were optional. Up to the day of the race the pace car had the normal Challenger flat hood but after the crash it was fitted with the R/T style Sport Hood. One of the 340ci cars had this hood too. The rest of the cars all had the flat hood.

On race day (May 29th 1971) the pace car was driven by Eldon Palmer, one of the local dealers, who to this day is still very upset about the whole thing.

Eldon had quite rightly practiced the laps and had placed cones at strategic points around the circuit to indicate when to start to turn in and when to brake.

Unfortunately somebody removed the cone in the pit lane.

As Eldon came out of turn four with the 33 car field hot on his tail he dived down into the pit area as planned and started looking for the cone he had placed to tell him when to brake. By the time he realised it was missing it was too late. As he slammed on the brakes he saw he had two options. Either to go back out onto the track and hit the pack of accelerating race cars or just keep braking as best he could.

He did the latter but could not stop in time to miss the stand full of press photographers.

Some people have said that, had the car been fitted with the optional disc brakes, this tragic accident could of been avoided. I have always doubted that and I can't see anything in that video to make me change my mind.

Why would you need a cone to tell you when to start braking? You can see the end of the pit lane. He should have been on the brakes as soon as he entered the pit lane and kept it braking straight. No excuse in my mind.

Eldon Palmer kept the car until recently, refusing to sell it. I guess pressure and the value of these cars made him change his mind.

I understand the car is now restored.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007 - 10:07:42 AM »
Holy cow, never seen that before.  I agree with Dave, there is no excuse.  You turn off, you brake.  How hard is that?   ???

Offline 2TAGS

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007 - 10:32:49 AM »
A flat hood with hood pins?  Very interesting.  Was that an option on normal production models?
1971 'Cuda 340

Offline JJ

• Challenger-Registry
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007 - 11:43:23 AM »
Does anyone know how fast he really was in mph ? It looks very fast in this movie.

Please keep in mind, the movie was probably taken with a simple Super8 camera or similar back then. So it might look faster in the movie than it actually is.
This old movie equipment was never really accurate.
And converting the old movie to an mpeg-file and then youtube does the rest and converts it automatically into a flash-movie, could help see things in
a faster speed than it was in reality.

Don't get me wrong, he must have been too fast, but an old movie like this could give a wrong (higher speed) impression. The Challenger was full of people and the drum-brakes are a killer anyway, this was probably a factor as well.

Anyway, I am glad someone took the video and we can watch it today.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007 - 12:08:59 PM »
The pace car needs to keep up speed to a certain point in the pit lane in case the green is waved off.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007 - 12:18:32 PM »
 :iagree:
He was required to maintain speed to a certain point.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007 - 10:49:30 AM »
Very cool clip!  Thanks for posting it!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007 - 02:22:04 PM »
That dude driving is stupid, he should have never been behind the wheel.  I have read about this, but never seen the video, thanks for sharing.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007 - 02:45:25 PM »
To add to Dave-R's info:

In 71 none of the manufacturers wanted to provide a pace car.  These cars were actually provided by dealers themselves.  As part of the deal, they reasoned that if they were going to pony up for the cars that one of them was going to be the driver.

So, he probably shouldn't have been behind the wheel, but the Indy people were stupid enough to let him behind the wheel.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars