Author Topic: 340 / 540 / 6.1 conversion  (Read 5317 times)

Offline GreenFish

Re: 340 / 540 / 6.1 conversion
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007 - 10:46:24 PM »
Hey cudabuyer, What trans are you using? I plan to buy one of the new 6.1 crate motors for my other 71 cuda that I'm going to restore next year and have pretty much decided to use the Keisler 5 speed to simplify things. My wife wants the same setup in her superbird clone.
I've been asked to install a 2005 5.7 hemi /5 speed automatic setup in a 73 cuda by one of my customers and I've been told to expect problems with making the tranny fit the tunnel. The only modern driveline that I've installed so far is a 1995 5.9/A518 setup in my wife's 73 Cuda. A lot more simple than the late hemi stuff, I'm sure. Any suggestions? Thanks

Modern autos are pretty big, they are a lot bigger then the old 727s. You can either try and talk them into a tremec wich in my opinion is the ONLY way to go.

Other wise you will have to cut the floor up to get it to fit.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007 - 12:52:29 AM »

You can either try and talk them into a tremec wich in my opinion is the ONLY way to go.

:iagree: A car like that definitely deserves 3 pedals. All the modern 6.1Ls have autos so why follow suit? Hopefully you have a good think about it, but, at the end of the day you're the one driving it. Keep us posted.  :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007 - 06:24:02 AM »
we had already converted to auto on the column trans to the 833 with the gear vendors overdrive

to keep costs down we kept the 833 rather than spending another $5000 for the Keisler

we bought the shorty air induction from Street & Performance http://hotrodlane.cc/ but would have rather had the mopar air induction - gets the filter away from the radiator (loses about 40 hp behind radiator ???)

will keep you guys posted, will have a ton of stuff for a give away price from the 540 hemi sale; Tti headers 2 1/4, etc stuff

joel   :working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007 - 10:53:13 PM »
we had already converted to auto on the column trans to the 833 with the gear vendors overdrive

to keep costs down we kept the 833 rather than spending another $5000 for the Keisler

we bought the shorty air induction from Street & Performance http://hotrodlane.cc/ but would have rather had the mopar air induction - gets the filter away from the radiator (loses about 40 hp behind radiator ???)

will keep you guys posted, will have a ton of stuff for a give away price from the 540 hemi sale; Tti headers 2 1/4, etc stuff

joel   :working:

Strangely enough, I visited Street and Performance a couple of weeks ago (they're about an hours drive south of here) and they didn't mention anything about the shorty air induction. I was down there trying to get some info about the 5.7 installation. The guy that builds their wiring harnesses for them, Tony Squire, mentioned that someone that he knows is working on an A518 4 speed auto setup that works with the 5.7 and 6.1 engines. I've had good luck with the A518 in my wife's cuda. I may look into that scenario. The only thing that I had to do to fit it into the '73 is bump out the floor a little in a couple of places, alter the rear trans mount and shorten the driveshaft. Tony also mentioned that they haven't figured out how to make the cruise setup work on the new hemi yet, but they're working on it. The working cruise control in my wife's cuda is one of the things that my wife loves about driving her car to those long distance shows. I think that for now I'm going to use a 5.9/A518 setup in my 71 Cuda clone and save the 340 4 speed setup for my real 71 cuda. One thing's for sure, I'll drive the car a lot more with the drivability and good gas mileage of the 5.9 setup. My wife's car gets 25 mpg on the highway and around 20 in town.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline custom-musclecars

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007 - 12:56:34 AM »
Hello fellow Mopar Enthusiasts! I am the one doing the 540/6.1 Hemi swap for Cudabuyer (Joel) That 540 was just overkill for the weak chassis of the convertible, also it requires maintenance such as adjusting the 2 4 barrels, adjusting the valves (removing the ac lines and power booster PIA!) and it would require about 1.68 gallons of gas per mile! On the puny stock tank, you would need a tanker truck following you around! THe race hemi clutch took both hands on the wheel and pushing with both feet to get the clutch down, not fun for cruising in town or traffic. I think the 6.1 will have plenty of power and be way more streetable, practical and reliable than a 100% aftermarket, 710 hp 540ci custom race Hemi. I like to use as much factory parts and engineering whenever possible.
Its been pretty Challenging (pardon the pun) getting the 6.1 to work with all the things already done to his car. Great thing is there is alot of support for these swaps out there. Since we already had the alterktion front end, we called Bill Rielly up and got a set of his very nice engine mounts for the new hemi. Plasma out the old ones, and the new ones line up perfectly. He also worked with TTI on the header design and everything fit great. The next big challenge was mating the 6.1 to the old 833 4 speed. After calling Passon performance about the swap, they said they could sell us a bellhousing and clutch setup for $1500! I thought this was just crazy, i mean all it takes is an old small block bellhousing, and mopar performance makes the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and starter so what do i need passon for?? So after ALOT of research, hunting at the local mopar graveyard, alot of measuring and a couple of trips to the machine shop, it all went together. I could write a book on all the small things that went into the swap, so if anyone is interested, just drop me a line, maybe oneday when we get caught up, i can put together a parts list for the swap, most of the stuff came from mopar performance, aka the local dodge dealer and cost about half what passon wanted.
The wiring was easy and very clean thanks to Tony Squire and his crew (hotwireauto.com) who sold us the computer, wiring harness, misc parts and tech info to get it done. It uses an 04 1500 truck computer which had the manual trans option. So far this is the only way to keep it simple without a custom, time consuming laptop/dyno tune for now as the security in the 6.1 computers has yet to be broken. Now i know you are saying performance has got to suffer with the 5.7 computer, but Squire has done a few of these 6.1 harnesses with the 5.7 computer and by using the Superchips 3815 flashpaq to raise the rev limit to the proper 6200 rpm and a few other things, they are claiming upwards of 500 hp at the flywheel with headers and an air intake. I have not verified this, but we should have his car driving soon, and I should have an idea of where we are at horsepower wise. 
The cool air induction will be the short 90 degree polished pipe from street and performance, but i ordered an extra 18" of polished tube with a K&N at the end to get it out of the radiator.
I will have more pics and possibly a video of the car later...

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007 - 07:40:35 AM »
OMG That's a bute!! We need more  :useless:  !!
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007 - 07:41:35 AM »
here are the latest new pics
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007 - 03:46:58 PM »
Joel, All I can say is  :wow:  :wow:  :wow:
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007 - 06:07:14 PM »
I am putting a 5.7 in my truck, and I also am going the manual route.  I have talked to Mark down at S&P before a couple of times, and I have more questions for him.  Is it really as easy as it sounds?  They told me I only have to hook up 4 wires when it is all plugged in.  I should ask for Tony next time I call?  ???  Real interesting stuff, I'm learning.   :grinyes:

Offline custom-musclecars

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007 - 12:46:57 AM »
We are close to having her driving again, just a few more small parts needed. The cruise control is a problem with the new hemi swaps that hasnt been solved yet. We are doing an 05 5.7 hemi in a 04 Jeep wrangler with a 61 willys body. The only possible way to put cruise on it with fly by wire is to use the 2003 accelerator sensor which is remote mounted and activated by a regular pedal with a cable, therefore, i believe i can attach a universal type cruise control with a cable, but i wont know until i get it working. http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/68GTX61HEMI.pdf S&P used one for a kickdown cable on a 727 auto trans. 71 big block, yeah the wiring is super simple, you just have to drill an 1 1/2" hole in the firewall for the harness, hookup a ground, battery power, ignition and start. Also for the manual trans setups, you must hookup the clutch switch wire or the computer will limit the rpms to 3500, even if you just ground it. The fuel pump relay is already wired, you just need to run the one hot from it to the pump. When your ready to order the harness, call Chris at Squire, he is very knowledgable about these swaps and they actually make the harnesses for S&P and everyone else. Plan on spending about $1700 for the harness, computer, reflash and rear O2 simulators if you dont want to run cats. Also, you will need the Superchips flashpaq if you want to raise the rev limit and increase power easily. Docs blocks makes all the fittings for the AC, and the stainless hemi fuel lines are made by tube tech. They make all the parts for S&P and have better and faster service.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007 - 10:05:34 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I emailed Tony and he gave me some prices on the harness and computer.  The computer price he gave me was crazy high.  Almost twice as high as what S&P quoted one for me.  His harness is also $100 more than S&P.  I asked him what gave there, but I havent gotten a reply yet.  I dont need to raise the RPM or anything, I plan on it being stock.  350 horse in a truck just as light as an ebody will get me moving faster than I might want.   :lol:  Also, I'm not running power steering or A/C, so I should save quite a bit of power there also.  Again, thanks.  It does sound quite simple. 

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007 - 11:01:51 AM »
I love seeing these swaps!

We have a few things that some of you may be interested in if you're looking to do these swaps.

We have single plane intake manifolds for the 5.7 and 6.1 HEMI engines, in both EFI and Carburetor versions.

With these you can run factory style air cleaners. 
We've built cars that have functional shaker hoods and T/A hoods.
To do this with EFI we run a 4-BBL EFI throttle body.
For these manifolds w/ EFI you need to run stand alone EMS, not factory computer.

On the carb side we will very shortly have complete kits to make the motors run with electronics, manifold, matched/tuned carb and cam. This kits will have everything needed and be pre-programmed for tuning with stock or aftermarket cam ginds.

The entire package will be under $2K.  You will be able to bolt them on and go. 
These wil be the cheapest way to get a 5.7 or 6.1 HEMI in a car.

We've basically finished the engine dyno and tuning work on the 5.7 Carb packages.  With a mild cam the 5.7 made 400 HP with these pieces and larger cam 420 HP.  Stock cam made I believe 370 HP. 
We will release these kits with dyno numbers.

6.1 Carb should be interesting. 
We have a custom cam grind we'll be offering to make big numbers with.
Dyno work isn't one with it just yet.

Anyway, we'll formally announce these shortly. 

Here's a link to the intake manifolds.  Pics of the carb versions will be up later today.
http://www.xvmotorsports.com/products/category/index.cfm?cid=83&lvl=2

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com