Author Topic: Gas Filler Neck  (Read 2646 times)

Offline dawgs 73

Gas Filler Neck
« on: September 02, 2007 - 10:13:24 PM »
Okay, I have been trying, for the better part of the day, to get the filler neck to marry up with the gas tank. Rubber grommet is in, tank is hung and straps snugged up. So far though, I can't get the neck in more than just a little bit. Yep, it's winning 'cuz I can't get the neck in all the way. It's just barely going in.
Anyone with words of wisdom on how to accomplish this? Short of sending it out for someone else to do anyway.
Thanks in advance

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Gas Filler Neck
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007 - 11:07:33 PM »
Have you tried alittle lube of the filler neck??  And maybe alittle on the rubber grommet??  Should go together.   :cheers:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007 - 01:49:20 AM »
silicone lube should have it sliding togetehr

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007 - 05:44:35 PM »
Loosen the tank as well if needed, then insert the neck and snug the straps up.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007 - 10:24:06 AM »
Goofy question related to this:

Are you supposed to put the grommet on the filler neck first then insert the filler neck then slide the grommet down the filler neck into the tank opening?  :clueless:

I'm in the opposite situation:  Can't get the filler neck out!!!!  :stomp:  I think I have to try to slide the grommet out then the filler tube can coome out, yes?  No?  :dunno:  Yanking it out won't do...  ???
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline LAA66

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007 - 10:50:52 AM »
 Just took mine out this weekend. Lower the tank down a bit to clear the quarter and twist. The manual says to use rubber lube also. Had to have a helper hold the tank from underneath though.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007 - 11:05:05 AM »
Just took mine out this weekend. Lower the tank down a bit to clear the quarter and twist. The manual says to use rubber lube also. Had to have a helper hold the tank from underneath though.

I just read that too.  Just twist and it comes out?  Don't have to remove the grommet first?   :clueless:  Thanks for the help!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007 - 11:33:22 PM »
 They say to have the grommet in place then remove the neck. Mine had been out before and I remember it was a beootch. Not sure if that matters the second time, but possibly soak with a rubber deteriorating agent to soften if it's really stuck. Chrysler has a new replacement for around $9. I have apart number somewhere. Well,,, better wait as I just got my new tank today and haven't tried to reinstall the neck yet.:-\)

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007 - 01:32:49 AM »
SuperBlue, I put the grommet in the tank first, then tried (or more appropriately I'm still trying) to put the filler neck in. I don't think that I could ever get the grommet in with the neck in place. It was hard enough to get it in without the extra girth that the neck adds. Ultimately, I have to just fight this thing in place I suppose. I already tried to slick up the neck with steel wool and a little windex which didn't work though it did pretty the tube up a bit. My next try will be with a little silicone grease that is used for maintaining seals on my scuba equipment. Hopefully, that will add enough slick to let me force the neck through. I gotta say though that this is a really big pain in the butt for something that looks like it should really be easy.

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007 - 03:40:21 AM »
SuperBlue, I put the grommet in the tank first, then tried (or more appropriately I'm still trying) to put the filler neck in. I don't think that I could ever get the grommet in with the neck in place. It was hard enough to get it in without the extra girth that the neck adds. Ultimately, I have to just fight this thing in place I suppose. I already tried to slick up the neck with steel wool and a little windex which didn't work though it did pretty the tube up a bit. My next try will be with a little silicone grease that is used for maintaining seals on my scuba equipment. Hopefully, that will add enough slick to let me force the neck through. I gotta say though that this is a really big pain in the butt for something that looks like it should really be easy.
I had the same issue.  Before install I did a test fit out of the car, and it went in no problem.  Put the tank in the car, and the filler neck wouldn't go in...  :stomp:  Took it back out, it fit fine....  :clueless:  Put it back in, and the filler neck would not go in with all my might....   :pullinghair: :pullinghair:  Long story short, the angle is very poor when you are first starting the install, so if you loosen the gas tank hangers, and let the gas tank hang down a bit so that you get a better angle, and the filler neck should slide right in.

To sum up my day in smilies...  :working:  :swear:  :clueless:  :stomp:  :chatting:  :working:  :pullinghair:  :pullinghair:  :pullinghair:  :banghead:  :thinkerg:  :bananasmi

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007 - 06:35:17 AM »
 :smilielol:

When the tank was replaced on my 73, my next door neighbor came by and we (well mostly he) strongarmed it in. I remember using K-Y jelly to help things along. 1001 uses that stuff has... ::) FY1 is correct - it's in the angle of the (gas tank) dangle :smilielol:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007 - 10:21:14 AM »
Thanks for all the encouragement guys!!!!  :2thumbs:  I thought I was the only one who had trouble with the filler neck.  I feel a bit better now!  I'll give it whirl this week if time permits.  The tank has been sitting on the ground with the filler neck stuck between the tank and the trunk floor opening for like couple of months and I need to get the little car goin'!!!!

Sorry to sorta take over your topic, dawgs.  I'm glad you posted it!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007 - 07:48:44 PM »
Not a problem with me, Superblue. That's one thing I like about reading these postings; the minor changes in what was originally posted, which fit me and my inquiring mind very well.

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007 - 08:55:10 PM »
Finally got the filler neck in my tank today. I had to secure the filler neck to the rear panel of the car, with the tank hanging as loose as I could get it without dropping the straps altogether. I lined up the neck so it was just sitting in the hole. Used KY jelly (that just doesn't sound right though, does it?) for lubrication, then tightened the strap bolts up on the tank. That forced the neck into and through the gasket, ultimately fully into place inside the tank.
The only real problem I had was convincing my wife to go out to buy the KY specifically for use on a car. Not that she doesn't trust me, but...............

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007 - 12:42:28 AM »
 :woo:  Glad you got it in, dawgs!  :thumbsup: