Author Topic: Painting tips - Base/ Clear  (Read 1347 times)

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
Painting tips - Base/ Clear
« on: September 04, 2007 - 06:21:56 PM »
i have some areas i need to recover. i am wondering if anyone could give me some tips. If i re-color coat a small section, can i fade out the clear to blend  it all back into the old pain/clear? would i wet sand the whole panel, color the neccessary portions and clear the rest.

any help is greatly appreciated. Id like it to look good, but I understand its not a concourse car. there will come a time of a total repaint years from now.

Im using Dupont.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline 70challengerrt

Re: Painting tips - Base/ Clear
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007 - 07:00:35 PM »
It never seems to come out trying to touch spots up. I usually wet sand and reclear if its in the clear or paint and reclear if its in the paint. Yes I will redo just the panel that needs it. Note if it a metalic or any color for that reason make sure you mix it the same as you did the first time or it will look different.
If for some reason you went through the clear you will have to spray the color before the clear or you will see where you sanded or buffed through.
Todd

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007 - 07:40:43 PM »
thanks, I have redone a few areas. I had taped off at the body line and you can only tell if you get up real close. '70 B5 with metallic is my color. the area that i will need to do is the top of the nose the driver side fender. I'll be doing this when i install a replacement fender on the passenger side (saving all the painting for one time). also a small area on the front of my hood. like I said, I would love it to look as good as possible. as un-noticeable as possible. but I understand nothing is as good as a complete repaint

Thanks Again!!

:2thumbs:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007 - 08:38:07 PM »
Been doing some reading on Spor repair and seems that 1 part paint to 3 parts reducer creates a hot mixture to blend with.

Mind you I have not done this.  Only what I've read.  Just some food for thought.  Talk to your Paint Supply as well.

Good Luck

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007 - 07:55:53 PM »
The only problem with a hot mixture is it is a touch off with certain colors because you are thinning it out so much. I over thin (hot mix) clear especially on my final coat of clear because is flattens out nice and you don't have to buff much if at all. If you can tape on the body lines and not notice it go for it. Like you said it sure beats reshooting the whole panel, I just can't get away with it because most of the cars I paint are for other people and they get very picky. The runner in this pic was over thinned in the clear and I didn't have to buff at all which is nice no swirls and glass smooth. It dosn't work all the time but when it does life is good.........at least til the next one.