Author Topic: Ideal MIG welder set up for body work... What to use? What works best? HELP!  (Read 2745 times)

Offline wjaholic

I have a 220 Millermatic 210, It works great and I love it. But when I get to some really thin sheet metal I really have to fight it. I am using .030 Flux core wire which isn't the best for welding/repairing sheetmetal. I am looking into shielding gas (75/25) and switching to solid wire. I am tempted to stick with .030 but was wondering if it would be better to go with a smaller dia. like .023. Would that just cause me more problems later on?

With the single phase 220v mig welders like mine, What have you guys found that works for you? I know some applications a TIG will work out great but... I don't have one.... at least not yet.

Thanks!!!

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
Re: Ideal MIG welder set up for body work... What to use? What works best? HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007 - 08:57:14 AM »
I have a 110 Lincoln that I use, with 0.030 "Twenty Gauge" brand wire made by Harris Welco.  This wire has a core that helps when welding thinner metals, reduces blow through and grinds much easier than the Lincoln solid core thinner gauge wire I used to use.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Ideal MIG welder set up for body work... What to use? What works best? HELP!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007 - 09:47:16 AM »
I have a 110 Lincoln that I use, with 0.030 "Twenty Gauge" brand wire made by Harris Welco.  This wire has a core that helps when welding thinner metals, reduces blow through and grinds much easier than the Lincoln solid core thinner gauge wire I used to use.

:iagree:

I was pulling my hair out at times trying to butt weld onto old sheet metal that just kept burning thru no matter how low I went with my Miller mig. Then when I switched over to my Twenty guage wire, I got it to start welding. It seems to be better to bridge across on welding also once you do get a burn thru spot also.

So what I learned is that when you are going to weld, save the solid wire for new and thicker sheet metal. The twenty for old exisisting thin metal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-JW-Harris-20-Gauge-Cored-Welding-Wire-030-2lb_W0QQitemZ300147129679QQihZ020QQcategoryZ34097QQcmdZViewItem

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007 - 09:50:26 AM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline wjaholic

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007 - 11:31:55 PM »
WOW! I have never seen any wire like that before. I am going to have to look in to it.

Thanks!!!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007 - 01:26:16 AM »
One other thing. It's an internal powdered flux. I believe it's a nickel powder. Keep your polarity the same as you would with regular wire.

Turn up the speed just a hair up more than regular wire is at low if it doesn't seem to be going well right off.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline wjaholic

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007 - 07:31:49 AM »
Would I still need shielding gas?  :clueless:

Anyone have any pictures of panels welded with this wire? This is a very interesting idea! Thanks!

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007 - 08:17:03 AM »
Yes you need gas, oh and get a good mask from your welding supply store since the fumes are nasty stuff.

No pictures, but the result is pretty much the same as solid wire.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007 - 09:29:51 AM »
Would I still need shielding gas?  :clueless:

Anyone have any pictures of panels welded with this wire? This is a very interesting idea! Thanks!

Looks just like any other weld done. A shine on top sometimes from the nickel.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007 - 01:11:07 PM »
Thanks TC
I went ahead and ordered one to check it out.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007 - 02:06:18 PM »
I have always used gas, but other than that I have the same welder as you, had the same problems too. Once I switched to the .023" wire all my problems went away. For body stuff I usually set it up at 1 on the voltage at 15-35 on the wire speed. For exhaust tubing I set it to 2 and 35-45. I haven't gone back to .030" since....
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline wjaholic

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007 - 09:51:48 PM »
Very Cool!

Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it!

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007 - 11:08:29 PM »
I just bought a 130 clarke mig welder to use for my car project. This forum has been very informational. I will have to try a roll of that 20 gauge wire, i have some roof rust patching jobs coming up.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007 - 11:16:06 PM »
I have a Millermatic 175 that I run .23 wire and C25 gas. After trying and failing many times some of the best results I have acheived were from cleaning the metal good on both sides of were the weld will be laid (sand blasted metal isn;t clean! I learned the hard way). I use a small angle die grinder with a 2" sanding disk. Then When I weld I place a piece of coper behind the area that will be welded. I helps to disapate the heat and also prevents burn throughs.

Lunch

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007 - 12:44:28 AM »
I have a Millermatic 175 that I run .23 wire and C25 gas. After trying and failing many times some of the best results I have acheived were from cleaning the metal good on both sides of were the weld will be laid (sand blasted metal isn;t clean! I learned the hard way). I use a small angle die grinder with a 2" sanding disk. Then When I weld I place a piece of coper behind the area that will be welded. I helps to disapate the heat and also prevents burn throughs.

Lunch

:iagree:
you can also use acetone to clean the metal if there is oil or anything on it. Cleaner metal is much easier to weld. TIG is even more picky on cleanliness
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007 - 01:34:21 AM »
I've been able to weld with the twenty guage in areas of light rust and even paint.

Yes I do clean and brush also before welding but when there are areas you can't do as well, the twenty guage gets the job done.
Mike, Fremont, CA.