Author Topic: DASH PADs - have you seen one in the flesh?  (Read 24345 times)

Offline CudaDownUnder

DASH PADs - have you seen one in the flesh?
« on: September 08, 2007 - 10:54:48 PM »
I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has seen/bought a 71-74 Dash Pad in the last few months. I specify the last few months because several suppliers have had some nasty things said about them in the past and I would like to know the current state of their product.

If you have actually seen a recently produced dash pad from one of the following suppliers - Year One, Legendary, Just Dashes, Ultimate Rides (a.k.a nitrouspowered) or any other, please comment on the following:

1. Is the grain correct? If not, how close is it to the original?
2. There are several grooves and lines in the dash pad. How well are these reproduced?
3. We've heard that the A/C vent sockets may need some alteration but other than that, does the pad fit and line up well?
4. On the sides where the pad meets the metal dash frame (the part you see when you open the door); is it straight?
5. Were you happy with the service? Did they deliver on time?

:cheers:
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda

Offline buzzard

• Why is their AIR
Re: DASH PADs - have you seen one in the flesh?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007 - 11:03:17 PM »
 Are you talking cap or complete pad?

Offline CudaDownUnder

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007 - 07:52:44 AM »
Complete DASH PAD. I'm not interested in a cap. It wouldn't last two weeks in an Aussie summer. ;)
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007 - 09:42:05 AM »
I know you specifically asked about 71 - 74 dashpads but I thought I'd respond anyway. I've seen 2 '70 pads, a black one in a Challenger R/T and a green one in an AAR both from Ultimate Rides. Both were installed this summer. The Challenger one fit so bad that it turned me off from getting one. The AAR looked like it fit like a glove, I was really impressed. The grain on both was actually quite close but not 100%. The lines and grooves don't quite have the crispness and definition of an original but, again, pretty close. The spot you see with the door open was way off on the Challey but bang on the AAR. No issues with AC vents on the Challenger, AAR didn't have air. The guys at the restoration shop did say some vinyl trimming was needed on both. It looks to me like it's a crap shoot regarding what you end up with. Like who actually formed it, was it done on a Monday with a hangover...etc. The resto shop did complain to UR after getting the Challey one, maybe that's why the AAR one turned out so good, or they changed something in their process. Anyway, I broke down and bought one from UR at the Nat's and it does look good on my work bench, I hope to be installing it over the winter then we'll see. Sorry, I realize I just gave a long "it's a hit or miss story".   
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline stones

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007 - 12:42:24 PM »
Hi CDU, i bought a 70 ralley dash a few months ago from my parts pusher in Norway(KS Autoparts),  this pad came from Just Dashes, it looks and and fits great ,groves and lines seems to be very good, the texture also, maybe im insane but i would call it a showpiece. Only problem was the price, it came to about 10500 Nkr=1750$ in Norway :faint:

Stones

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007 - 10:03:11 PM »
The JD dashpads don't look correct at all.  They look like a cap IMHO.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007 - 11:28:33 PM »
I have only bought one for my 70 Cuda and it came from ultimate rides. The fit is really good and the grain is only off a little bit. It was non AC so I can't help you out there. The shipping was about 8 weeks but my Cuda was not finished so it was not a big deal.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007 - 01:36:44 AM »
I did this comparison between my original and the UR dash. It is a 70 but should be simular to some of the info you need.

Lunch

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=26632.105

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007 - 03:59:04 PM »
 I put an Ultimate rides dash in my car this spring, with air. I had to trim a little around the vents but all in all I'm very happy. I'm nit picky and it looks fine, the Just Dashes one my freind has I wouldn't be happy with. my only gripe with Ultimate rides is getting my core refund, 6 months and they're still going to do it but haven't.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007 - 10:39:02 AM »
Hi. I hope this is not coming too late for you.
I bought both from Year One, a full dash as well as a cap and none look exactly like the original, but I was told that before purchasing them.
Here are the photos. The green one is the full dash and the black is the cap only.
Foto 6875 is of the complete one (not looking too green) but to give you an idea of the finishing touches which look quite close to the original one.
The last photo is of my original 71 R/T dash just to compare the grain finish.
If you need more detailed fotos, please let me know.
Good luck.
71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto small block
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Others: http://www.cardomain.com/id/Challenger_7

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007 - 03:03:09 PM »
I would avoid the JD one , the one I installed was worse then the one I removed from the car

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008 - 02:06:48 PM »
Lunchbox did an excellent comparison between an original an UR pad. While both of mine are in the basement I thought I'd add this and ask if anyone else has noticed the problem. The "dog leg" meeting the light bar is on average 3/8 too short and the top of the light bar doesn't meet up to the pad's crease. See pics.

John

2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008 - 06:59:49 AM »
Interesting info J B. I have just had my car stripped down for a ground up resto and will collect the old dash to compare with the new one. Will let you know what comes up.
Cheers.
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008 - 06:48:16 PM »
Challenger_7 don't forget to read Lunchbox's review too. Mines the second UR pad to be that off. The other one was already in a car and to be honest you really can't notice it unless your looking for the flaw. It'll be interesting to see if the new Legendary pad addresses this. Good luck with your restoration too.
John

2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008 - 06:21:35 AM »
Thanks JayBee, I did read that and had a go yesterday at my pad.
As I mentioned, I bought a pad and a full dash form yearone and stripped my old dash yesterday to compare. I will post pictures at another occasion as I am not using my computer now.
The pad fits reasonably well except on the left side where it has a shape like an ear at the extreme left and a similar one on the right.
The one on the right is ok but on the left it is too small. Also the body of the dash pad is a bit too short on the left side where it meets up with the metal part, so does not quite cover it. So all in all it is a NO-GO.
I then tried the full pad, and to my surprize I just realized that the core is plastic an not metal. I imported this item about a year ago and had it stored till yesterday, so had no clue of what the original one looks like till yesterday.
Anyway the bits of concern is that from the left side again, where metal protrudes out to meet with and screws on to the frame, there is not enough of the hard plastic (which replaces the metal frame) to protrude out to be bolted/screwed to the frame. All other areas seem to be ok and the finish, whilst not the same grain, but very nice.Where there are bolts that are molded into the pad, there seems to be a small metal plates secured to the bolt and molded into the plastic, but given few years and with rust, I am sure the plate might get ripped off the plastic if trying to unscrew it.
Other areas seem to fit in reasonably well, but again my judgement is a NO-GO on this item too.
So, now I am stuck with a cracked original pad which I will have to cover up with new vinyl until someone tells us of a good descent pad.
JayBee, you spoke of a pad being produced by Legendary. Any idea how that went? Anybody used it?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008 - 06:29:39 AM by Challenger_7 »
71 Chally Auto 400