Author Topic: Steering Coupler Loose  (Read 794 times)

Offline challengermaniac

Steering Coupler Loose
« on: September 09, 2007 - 05:04:56 PM »
I just put in a rebuilt steering box with "firm feel" and while the initial steering "free play" has been greatly reduced, there is still about a 1/4" free turn I would like to eliminate.  The owner of "Red Head Steering Gears" is saying the play is within the steering coupler.  I viewed an old post on here and they talked about the possibility of the coupler being installed upside down and also a kit for rebuilding the coupler.  Can you guys take a look at my coupler to determine if I installed it correctly and if it is, should I be paying a visit to Chrysler to get a coupler rebuild kit (with directions)? 

Also, how do I get that darn coupling sleeve (lower picture) and twist cover to stay up on the firewall?

Thanks, Charlie

ps: yes, I am putting this great car up for sale in case someone is interested.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007 - 07:42:14 PM by challengermaniac »
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Steering Coupler Loose
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007 - 05:09:53 PM »
It's installed correctly.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Steering Coupler Loose
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007 - 02:19:57 AM »
While the coupler is installed correctly ,it may not be assembled correctly , the shoes inside will fit 2 ways , if they are in wrnog ther will be play inside the coupler , it is easy to see though , have someone turn the steering wheeel & watch to see if the the movement of the shaft is equal to the movement of the coupler

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t