Author Topic: Shills/scammers?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Shills/scammers?
« on: September 09, 2007 - 05:37:33 PM »
These gauges look quite nice, but look at the bidding history. All of the ID's seem similar.  :screwy: Even though there are some with many feedbacks, I can't seem to get a line on them. Is this someone bidding up his own item?  :dunno:

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=190148522292

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Re: Shills/scammers?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007 - 06:20:28 PM »
Do you mean usernames like D**k j**H  stuff like that?  That's the way its been on all auctions just recently I've noticed.   :dunno:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007 - 06:28:53 PM »
Do you mean usernames like D**k j**H  stuff like that?  That's the way its been on all auctions just recently I've noticed.   :dunno:

I've just noticed that too, but I can't seem to see their feedbacks... Am I getting dumber as I age , or what?  :banghead: I would like to see what their other transactions were.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007 - 06:48:16 PM »
yup - eBay started "anonymizing" bidders names recently and only after a specific dollar amount was reached. You wont see the names cloaked in other lower dollar auctions. It seems this went into affect about the time they added the detailed five star grading system for sellers. 

They did this to prevent other sellers from stealing buyers away from a posted item.  I will confess, I attempted to contact losing bidders if I had a like item and needed to sell. It was all innocent enough but at some point eBay became concerned with assisting in any transaction that they don't get a taste of. They now have a disclaimer stating that they screen any communications to Ebay members that you are not involved in a transaction with.

The game continues to change. 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007 - 06:45:23 PM »
yup - eBay started "anonymizing" bidders names recently and only after a specific dollar amount was reached. You wont see the names cloaked in other lower dollar auctions. It seems this went into affect about the time they added the detailed five star grading system for sellers. 

They did this to prevent other sellers from stealing buyers away from a posted item.  I will confess, I attempted to contact losing bidders if I had a like item and needed to sell. It was all innocent enough but at some point eBay became concerned with assisting in any transaction that they don't get a taste of. They now have a disclaimer stating that they screen any communications to Ebay members that you are not involved in a transaction with.

The game continues to change. 

Thanks for the info Mike,

I wasn't aware of the changes, but I think there is a fly in the ointment.  :screwy: Here is another auction where all the bidder's have a similar user name.   :dupe:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330161425414&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD