Author Topic: Fuel injection?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
Fuel injection?
« on: September 11, 2007 - 11:41:45 PM »
Anyone use the fuel injection kit from Edelbrock?
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Fuel injection?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007 - 02:09:16 AM »
ShelbyDogg has the big block system & like it 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Grundy

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007 - 09:54:58 AM »
They were supposed to sell the manifold separately (for the do-it-yourselfers), but I haven't seen one available anywhere yet.
Drive it like you stole it.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007 - 10:12:09 AM »
I am seriously considering fuel injection for the altitude up here. Would it be better? Winter will bring a clean-up on the engine,mayby some heads. If I'm going to replace the carb/man/ign  not to mention the cam/lifters... this might be a cool way to go. Looks somewhat easy to tune.  What other considerations should I take into account when looking at a system like this? I'm not quite ready for the "do it yourself" option. And am alittle intimidated with the high price and user difficulty. :-[
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline matt63

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007 - 01:22:21 PM »
I looked into this a few months ago.  A good system for an hp motor will be $4500 including new fuel system.  Some guys build their own kits for less especially if they have a stock motor.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007 - 01:44:13 PM »
Until you start getting into some pretty radical engine specs, there is actually very little power to be gained with an efi over a well tuned carb. The biggest advantages are some increasedfuel efficiency, the ease of driveability they provide, reduced fuel wash which extends oil life,hence cylinder wall wear, and the ability to self tune at altitude variations. For imncarn82, this could  be a nice feature since his driving can cover everything from 2000 to 10,000 ft. However, for the expense of purchase and hassle of set up, it may not really pay off to convert. Figuring if you gain an additional 2 mpg with it over your carb, it will take you almost 850 gallons of gas to pay for its self in the gas savings for a horsepower increase you won't be able to feel and would be hard pressed to find even on the clocks at the track.

Now, if you are a more adept computer tuner than a spark plug and vacuumm gauge reader, then it might be easier for you to use efi.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007 - 01:53:21 PM »
Thanks HP2  You really seem to know alot about this stuff. I may be in over my head...and wallet. I guess I  may just get a new carb. and heads n stuff... :dunno:  Just thought "why not" when I'm going this far... :bricks1:
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Dragula

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007 - 02:28:54 PM »
I have no experience with eddy systems myself, but I will coment on them anyway. I am a FAST user, and from what I have heard about the eddy system, they seem to meant for rather mild engines and their phone support for issues or questions that come up isn't really any help.

What I will say about efi's advantages is:

-If your primary reason for going to it is gas milage,  its probably not for you. It can be complicated to set-up, and if your not used to looking at A/F vs Map, figuring out where to get the milage out of isn't real easy. Lean it out too far in the wrong spot, and you could do some serious damage. Not likely, but very possible.

-If your primary reason for buying it is drivability, I can tell you a nice custom carb by a reputable shop will get you close in mild weather conditions.

-If your racing, have limited traction, big power, and need infinite adjustability and data logging, this is the ticket

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007 - 02:56:17 PM »
I think if you are going to use the edelbrock system, I would stick with their recommendations for cams, heads, exhaust etc. since it is supposed to be "setup" for those components. If you try and piece it together with unknown combinations, I think that is where you run into problems (on the Ed system). For what it is worth the edelbrock system is probably the closest thing you are going to get to fuel injection in a box for a mopar. The only thing the Ed system doesn't address is the gas tank, you might need a baffle or a surge tank to keep the pump fed at all times. If you follow their recommendations for the engine this will be as close as you can get to plug and play without having to do too much tweaking on your end.

If you piece an FI system together and are not comfortable tuning a carb, then I would not recommend jumping into fuel injection because you need to understand how the carb and engine work together to make tuning FI easier. The parameters are the same between the two with FI having more adjustments and more chances to mess things up if you are not familiar with the cause and affect of those adjustments. If you want to go FI, most of the aftermarket companies that sell controllers have sample programs of the tuning software. Download a few and take a look so you know what you are getting into. Of course if you have a buddy or a good shop to work with, that can eliminate much of the hassles.

The only reason that fuel injection is so common as an OE thing is emissions, it's hard to keep a catalytic converter alive on a carb. Bonus features are cold start and some driveability/mileage benefits .
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007 - 03:13:02 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007 - 03:10:04 PM »
I would love to do efi and would if the budget allowed but it is certainly a bummer to realize that for the same money I could put a supercharger system on my car  :eek4:  WAY too much money for what it is.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007 - 07:45:15 PM »
Thanks for all the input!  I am probably in over my head here.  I was/am considering using all their stuff to make it easier. This old Carter carb. is trash...I had to re-tap the waterneck holes... I guess,...mayby back to the RPM airgap and 650 Thunder series. :dunno:  WAY cheaper...   I'll be planning the re-build on the 340 soon. :1zhelp:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007 - 08:03:41 PM by IMNCARN82 »
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Dragula

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007 - 06:33:50 AM »
340's don't really like carter or eddy carbs. They need a large fuel shot, and since your probably not into drilling the squirters out and taking there stiffest springs and streching them, you NEED a holley type carb. Its the only style single carb that will really provide enough fuel shot to make a mopar engine happy without doing some really unique things to a carb.

I highly recomend Quick Fuel, but there are other shops out there.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007 - 09:48:15 AM »
I was/am reading about this...    Rich with the 69'440RR at the shop recomended a quickfuel carb.  I'ts twice the price of Eddy stuff...  I felt it might be too big of a carb.  This 340 is .30 over,cammed(approx. .410 lift?)headers...I don't think any head work. 375 h.p.   I guess I'll look closer at the quick fuel...  Thanx!!!
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007 - 10:14:59 AM »
There are plenty of good carb shops. Carb Shoppe, Pro Max, QFT, and my favorite VDL out of Mobile, AL. VDL (Vanderlay) gets flown in for Hendricks motorsports.
A good carb is gonna run ya some $ but it isn't your off the shelf carb either.
I was looking into doing the Eddy EFI and was pursuaded not to go with it. I don't think it is a bad system for a given HP range but they certainly are proud of them. They must think they're the only ones on the block with an EFI retrofit.
There are guys that could build you a system for a little less and have more cam choices, adjustability and hp range.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007 - 02:54:01 PM »
I like the looks of the quickfuel.I can see the price difference,It's a nice carb.You get what you pay for.
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"