Author Topic: Fuel Smell  (Read 700 times)

Offline 71_340Challenger

Fuel Smell
« on: September 12, 2007 - 12:57:41 PM »
I just recently completed a conversion of my 71 Challenger from the original 340 to a 440. In the process, I swapped from the stock 5/16 fuel pickup and fuel lines to a 3/8 pickup and -6AN lines all the way to the carb. The stock 5/16 pickup did not have a vent line and all of the 3/8 pickups that I found did. So, I bought one and ran the vent line from the pickup to the closest of the 4 fuel/vapor seperator lines. Now, when the car sits in the closed up the garage over night or for long time, there is a significant fuel odor. I looked around and did not see any charcoal canisters or anything similar. Is there a charcoal canister on 71's? There was no fuel odor prior to the change, and no visable fuel leaks in the new AN lines, so I am assuming it has to do with the routing of the new vent line. Does anyone have any suggestions on where/how to run this vent line or what to do about this fuel oder? Thanks for the help.
1971 Dodge Challenger                
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, 6 speed manual
2009 Dodge Charger R/T w/ Road & Track Package
1995 Ford F-150

Offline matt63

Re: Fuel Smell
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007 - 01:19:54 PM »
I just plugged the vent tube by clamping a short piece of hose with a bolt in the end.  It's not pretty but...
If I have fuel smells it is usually the electric fuel pump fittings leaking for the hoses on the vent tubes seeping.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007 - 01:38:59 PM »
If you are venting to the atmosphere, the smell is normal.   :thumbsup:   If it is an annoyance, plug the vent.....    :cheers:     
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 71_340Challenger

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007 - 04:57:04 PM »
Thanks. I am running a mechanical fuel pump, and I have checked all of the fitting and hoses for leaks/cracks and have found none. I had thought about simply plugging the vent line, but it just seems like there should be a nicer way to do it. Then again, it is all tucked under the car where no one can see, so what difference would it make.

Did factory 3/8" fuel pickups have vent lines? Anyone know how were they done?

Thanks again for the response and help.
1971 Dodge Challenger                
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, 6 speed manual
2009 Dodge Charger R/T w/ Road & Track Package
1995 Ford F-150