Author Topic: Help!! Key won't go into ignition  (Read 21787 times)

Offline kingtroll

Help!! Key won't go into ignition
« on: September 12, 2007 - 07:49:51 PM »
Before you say it....YES it's my car..hehe. Has anyone had this problem or have a remedy. My key won't go into the ignition. I had this problem a couple of weeks ago and fought with it and finally got it to go in. After this episode I used some WD 40 on the key and chrome piece where the key goes in and that seemed to help. Today I went to start my car and fought with it til it started to get dark and I gave up for now. I did look with a flash light and seem to have the metal chrome piece with the tabs aligned (piece where your thumb goes) with the key hole but it still won't go in. Anyone have any ideas .  Thanks
1974 Barracuda

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
Re: Help!! Key won't go into ignition
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007 - 07:56:18 PM »
Had this problem after the idiot kid at the Oil change station shoved the key in upside down.  I used some graphite lubricant (rubbed a pencil all over the key) and so far haven't had any problems. 

BTW...  Contrary to popular belief, WD40 is not a lubricant... says so right on the can, its a moisture repellent.

Offline matt63

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007 - 08:09:26 PM »
I had this happen.  One of the anti-rotation "tits" inside broke so the internal alignment between the outer ring and the inner guts got screwed up. I took the whole assembly out and fixed it.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007 - 08:14:38 PM »
Matt how did you fix it? Does that thumb piece pop off? Something is definately not aligning right. Do they sell the inner piece you speak of ?  Thanks
1974 Barracuda

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007 - 08:18:01 PM »
dumb question---sorry

Is this a 70 column where the part of the column turns to get your key in and out? If it's off a little it wouldnt work.

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007 - 08:29:59 PM »
dumb question---sorry

Is this a 70 column where the part of the column turns to get your key in and out? If it's off a little it wouldnt work.

Its a 74 column Moparal. I think that silver thumb piece is not aligning properly but I did get a light in the key hole and I SEEM to get it aligned with the key hole but obviously something is not allowing the key all the way in.
1974 Barracuda

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007 - 09:23:21 PM »
I have this problem from time to time... Mine has a lock thingy ???that's on the column...it keeps the key locked in... ???   I need to make sure it's all the way down to get the key in... :dunno:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007 - 09:40:54 PM »
I know what you mean that lever that locks the key in. I'll try tomorrow holding it down to see if it makes a difference.
1974 Barracuda

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007 - 10:04:30 PM »
I went out there and held the lever down to no avail. I'll fight with it tomorrow. I'll take any and all suggestions. Thanks
1974 Barracuda

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007 - 11:40:24 PM »
I would just replace it. I dont think your going to have a fix for this, besides a new one. Its just old and warn out. If the car has to be moved, you can always take a good straight blade screw driver and just pop off the thumb piece, then pry out the key part, and turn it over yourself, like you would if you where going to steal it. I am not sure what a new one will cost, or where to get it.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007 - 12:21:15 AM »
If you decide you need a new one they are really not that hard to change.  If your like me you probably want the ignition key to match the doors. Not real hard to do yourself  :2thumbs:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007 - 01:23:26 AM »
If it was my problem here's what I would do first..

Pull the wheel,  then pull the crush tube, then , pull the turn signal switch. You will be able to pull the switch easy after you take off the little snap ring. Then you can get another new switch, take it to the lock smith and have him relocate the tumblers for you. I have done this my self, but it's hard to explain to someone and even do the first time. You may also get down to the problem at hand just getting behind the switch. Could be a loose screw, carboned up grease or some other minor thing. And then again, things do wear out after time.    Let us know. Atleast with the switch out, you'll be able to start your car and not do any damage to anything :2thumbs:

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007 - 09:22:21 AM »
Well I removed the chrome thumb thingie and tried to pull out the lock mechanism but it only goes forward a little. I may have to take the steering wheel off and get to it from inside....ugghhh I haven't pulled off a steering wheel for over twenty years so I am not sure what puller etc... to get this wheel off. I did find on YO a ignition lock set so I will have to order that for sure. All those miles on the lock set have finally caught up to it. I'll keep you guys posted how it turn out and thanks. I wish I could get that key part out rather than take apart everything but oh well.
1974 Barracuda

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007 - 09:42:05 AM »
Looking at a pic of steering wheel puller and now i remember how it works. I am going to do what Moparal suggested.
1974 Barracuda

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007 - 01:05:47 PM »
Well I removed the steering wheel and the big nut holding the crush can. The crush can still won't come off. Can anyone tell me whats holding it in place and how to take it off?
1974 Barracuda