Author Topic: Help!! Key won't go into ignition  (Read 21785 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: Help!! Key won't go into ignition
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007 - 01:11:25 PM »
Before you go too far, is it an original key, or a duplicate? If a duplicate key is not made correctly, it will do the exact same thing. If you have multiple keys, try them all before taking everything apart.

Also, try turning the wheel a little in either direction as you are inserting the key, to see if there is enough flex to make a difference. Sometimes it only takes a tiny amount of movement.

Offline matt63

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007 - 01:38:36 PM »
You need a puller to pull the next section off of the splined shaft.  They can be bought for cheap.  I used threaded rod and nuts to extend down to the holes.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007 - 02:15:10 PM »
Dont pry on it.  At just about any parts store in the 3.95 sale bin, you will see a small 2 slot puller. It is just big enough to fit in the tube crush can. Take the nut off with a wratchet and extention. Some nuts are like 3/4 and some like 7/8 I think. This is the difference in power and manual shafts. Unscrew the nut, then use the puller. After this pops off and it will give up rather easy, you will notice it has a spot on the splines where it goes on and off in one position only. So your wheel will be put back on just as it came off. It will be obvious what size screw driver you need next. But... Some of the screws you remove in different steps will be different sizes, so keep the items you pull off in it's own group with those particular screws. Once you pulled the turn sig switch, the big nut that pulled the can off, has a snap ring on that shaft holding the steering column bearing down. An o ring pick and a small tip screw driver will get it off with patience. The steps Im telling you to do will be obvious even if I am not being clear enough for you. The column bowl screws will be off too, now you can get to what you need to. But you will have a buzzer switch in there and look at the way it goes on. It can be a pita for some. All in all the job is easy and with the right basic tools will take 1.5 hrs for a novice to pull replace the switch and crank it up.

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007 - 02:46:14 PM »
I see the holes for the puller so I'll have to get one of those and i just ordered the ignition lock. I don't think any of the keys I have are original . I appreciate the help guys because I have never done this before but I see it can be done with some patience and guidance thanks. I'll keep you posted . I have to make sure the puller is small like you say Moparal there really isn't much room to play with.
1974 Barracuda

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007 - 04:21:10 PM »
Hey show some pics! I dont understand why the key part will only slide a little

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007 - 06:27:52 PM »
Heres a pic of the key hole and the crush can. I need a small puller like Moparal says but i haven't found one yet. I went to 2 auto parts stores and they both had ones that were too wide for the crush can.
1974 Barracuda

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007 - 08:41:29 PM »
Looks like a tumbler has fallen out doesnt it? The little brass pin

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007 - 09:14:44 PM »
A harmonic balancer puller works really well for taking that crush can off.  Just be sure to line up the grooves correctly when you put it back on.

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007 - 09:26:16 PM »
I saw those harmonic balancer pullers at the auto store but they looked like the claw from a vending machine that you pick up prizes with. I didn't see how that would work. I did see this puller that Harbor freight is suppossed to have I have one near me so I'll go check it out. I don't want to spend so much because I know they are cheap but I can't find one locally. The width can only be max of three inches so I can make the bolts reach the holes on the bottom of the crush can. This is the link for the harbor freight one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42031
but if it's small enough I'll buy it.  I also saw this one on ebay but I am not sure it's small enough. (width wise)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-71-72-73-74-Charger-steering-wheel-puller_W0QQitemZ160008315150QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160008315150
1974 Barracuda

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007 - 01:07:40 AM »
If you dont have one by the time I drive 2200 miles home, I will just give you mine.....Oh wow, I will be out five bucks...big deal. :bigsmile:  I got 2 of them. But remeber, after you get past the can, the real work starts. But I am sure you can do it and at a cost effective way.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007 - 02:47:31 AM »
often when the key will not go into the ignition the first pin is a short one & instead of moving up it rolls over & jams , this basically means the lock is worn out & needs replacing

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007 - 07:15:37 AM »
Thanks Moparal I'll let you know if I need it. I'll send it back to you no prob. I knew it was going because I almost wasn't able to get home from a cruise in because of it one day. I am a little scared of when I take off the crush can about changing the lock set but I'll have to see it first .
1974 Barracuda

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007 - 09:34:36 AM »
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=29287

thats the one I have, though I didn't pay anywhere near that price for it.  The bolts lined up perfectly.

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007 - 01:08:46 PM »
That one looks pretty good. I bought one from Harbor Frieght for 10 bucks that looks promising. Here is what it looks like. (like yours).
1974 Barracuda

Offline matt63

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2007 - 01:48:40 PM »
I use a similar puller for this job.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD