Author Topic: Under body colors  (Read 3103 times)

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
Under body colors
« on: September 16, 2007 - 01:02:08 AM »
I just know it's all been posted before but I cannot find it  :dunno:
Where can I find a list of the correct colors for chassis and suspension parts, including what items are left as bare metal?  I am talking about frames, K-members, steering parts, brakes, suspension, etc.

I have found a few threads that hint about it but no "list".  Any pics that were posted are now gone too.  :'(

Thanks  :)   
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Under body colors
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:16:10 AM »
 The oil pan originally wasn't painted on the bottom. It sat on an assembly table and was painted. Drips run down to the underside. I have a Mopar back issue that talks all about concours resto. It had talked about that.

The LCA's are dipped I believe with a Kosmoline originally. But the ends were not.

Notice the underspray. It really doesn't go very far towards the center. The only center place were there was more paint under was at the trans tunnel.

I'm sure they'll be some others here to help answer too.   :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007 - 01:24:50 AM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:48:41 AM »
For the silver paint, get Metal Mask from POR. Very realistic looking of bare or cast metal.
For the black, just a semi gloss black. Eastwood has a good selection.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007 - 02:05:54 AM »
The POR 15 metal mask works great, that is what I use. For the black I use the standard POR-15, because I have found it holds up better, powder coating would be nice and durable also.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007 - 11:32:46 AM »
Great picture, topcat, I like pictures  :bananasmi: thanks  :grinyes:

By "silver" do you guys mean the tie rods and such?  It's really a bare metal gray?  I had heard about the cosmoline and I got some in a spray bomb to try on the LCA.   Semi gloss on the K-member and steering box??  Did you use undercoat on the fenders and frame?

:working:
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:06:06 PM »
I just know it's all been posted before but I cannot find it  :dunno:
Where can I find a list of the correct colors for chassis and suspension parts, including what items are left as bare metal?  I am talking about frames, K-members, steering parts, brakes, suspension, etc.

I have found a few threads that hint about it but no "list".  Any pics that were posted are now gone too.  :'(

Thanks  :)   

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:10:32 PM »
The oil pan originally wasn't painted on the bottom. It sat on an assembly table and was painted. Drips run down to the underside. I have a Mopar back issue that talks all about concours resto. It had talked about that.

The LCA's are dipped I believe with a Kosmoline originally. But the ends were not.

Notice the underspray. It really doesn't go very far towards the center. The only center place were there was more paint under was at the trans tunnel.

I'm sure they'll be some others here to help answer too.   :thumbsup:

Don't believe everything you read.  Can you imagine what the oil pan would look like after supporting all the weight of the engine on it?

4,000 mile survivor.

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:16:38 PM »
Great picture, topcat, I like pictures  :bananasmi: thanks  :grinyes:

By "silver" do you guys mean the tie rods and such?  It's really a bare metal gray?  I had heard about the cosmoline and I got some in a spray bomb to try on the LCA.   Semi gloss on the K-member and steering box??  Did you use undercoat on the fenders and frame?

:working:

Note the absence of paint on the bottom of the frame rails.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:37:33 PM »
Don't believe everything you read.  Can you imagine what the oil pan would look like after supporting all the weight of the engine on it?

4,000 mile survivor.

That may be true but also it can vary from assembly plants and shifts. There was no exact recipe that all plants followed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007 - 01:40:53 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:42:21 PM »

By "silver" do you guys mean the tie rods and such?  It's really a bare metal gray? 

The metal mask ressembles the original bare metal color. It is not as close to the bare metal as the cast iron manifold coating, but it works. Really the best way to go is buy a new front end kit if the budget permits.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:58:28 PM »
That may be true but also it can vary from assembly plants and shifts. There was no exact recipe that all plants followed.

You cannot honestly believe that, thousands of specs were used when these cars were built.  Paint specs, process specs, material specs etc.  A more than likely senario is that Pro Joe took the day off and amature Bob got to paint some engines.  Go and find some original engines and you will see where no paint is on the engine where the assembly brackets were attached.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007 - 02:27:11 PM »
You cannot honestly believe that, thousands of specs were used when these cars were built.  Paint specs, process specs, material specs etc.  A more than likely senario is that Pro Joe took the day off and amature Bob got to paint some engines.  Go and find some original engines and you will see where no paint is on the engine where the assembly brackets were attached.

The article that I am referring to that shows the unpainted oil pan bottom is a Mopar Action magazine dated 2/04. article is: Anatomy of a Solid Gold Cuda.

In the article it says:

On this particular car, the engine was painted with jets, not a handheld gun and no attempt was made to shoot the bottom of the oil pan so, in a lot of cases, its bare.

I would of liked to scan the article but I have an older model and can't find how to get the driver and software up and running.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007 - 03:04:41 PM »
I sent an e-mail to Resto Rick to see what he says he believes is correct. He might know what the bottom line is on what and how regarding paint on the bottom of the oil pan is or isn't.

Rick, I have a debate going on about oil pans on e bodies being painted on the bottom or not originally from assembly line. Did it vary by engine or assembly line if at all?

One source says the engine assembly was painted with jets not a hand spray gun. This left drips on an unpainted bottom of the pan. Yet there are pictures of engines that show the pan was painted underneath also.

Whats your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007 - 03:13:26 PM »
The article that I am referring to that shows the unpainted oil pan bottom is a Mopar Action magazine dated 2/04. article is: Anatomy of a Solid Gold Cuda.

In the article it says:

On this particular car, the engine was painted with jets, not a handheld gun and no attempt was made to shoot the bottom of the oil pan so, in a lot of cases, its bare.

I would of liked to scan the article but I have an older model and can't find how to get the driver and software up and running.

RG "GOLD" 'Cuda.

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007 - 03:17:08 PM »

In the article it says:

And don't forget the black drip off the cowl by the master cylinder that ALL of his cars have.  :rofl: