Author Topic: Under body colors  (Read 3099 times)

Offline PlumCrazy

Re: Under body colors
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007 - 03:34:20 PM »
I sent an e-mail to Resto Rick to see what he says he believes is correct. He might know what the bottom line is on what and how regarding paint on the bottom of the oil pan is or isn't.

Rick, I have a debate going on about oil pans on e bodies being painted on the bottom or not originally from assembly line. Did it vary by engine or assembly line if at all?

One source says the engine assembly was painted with jets not a hand spray gun. This left drips on an unpainted bottom of the pan. Yet there are pictures of engines that show the pan was painted underneath also.

Whats your thoughts on this?
Thanks,

Also, ask him how many thousands of original engines he has see.  If the engines were automatically painted they basically would all look the same, which they are far from that.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007 - 04:10:42 PM »
And don't forget the black drip off the cowl by the master cylinder that ALL of his cars have.  :rofl:

I could reply something sacastic in return. but I won't. I never bash anyone here for what think or say. 

Try having an open mind to the fact that what I said might be a real possibility.

Have you seen thousands of unrestored engines?

As it is, this is getting off topic.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007 - 05:34:50 AM »
Makes me glad i dont have a buildsheet, fender tags or matching #s. That sounds like a pain in the A$$ trying to put one of these things back togther like the factory had.

Well to lighting the mood, i just wanted to say....i am using 99cent flat black from Wal-mart on my suspension.   :2thumbs:

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007 - 09:21:54 AM »
Thanks for all the photos and tips, folks, MUCH appreciated!  :2thumbs:

:working:
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline FY1Challenger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007 - 09:14:48 AM »
Many of those particular restorer's cars seem to have the same left side cowl black-out "flaw" repeated and his, as well as other nationally known shops, have changed their methods over the last ten years to reflect what is now accepted in 2007 as "correct." I think that's what Plumcrazy was trying to point out. Be careful when researching correctness using rest shops especially with component assemblies. Nothing better to reference than an unrestored original and Carlisle is the place to look! Got a chance to crawl around a 3500 mile second owner '70 Challenger this year. Talk about a detail gold mine!
One last thing about Plum, he is one of the few that probably has seen at least a few hundred originals in his time. Tremendous resource for the hobby and bulletproof "go-to" guy on this detail stuff.

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007 - 10:37:49 AM »
Plum crazy, is that cosmoline on your lower control arms or a "gold" paint?  I a spray can of cosmoline that I am hoping will do the job.  Also, I see some sort of orange substance on all the tie rod end nuts, what's the scoop on that?

Thanks

MOPAR or NO car!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007 - 06:57:58 PM »
Here's the article.

Take it for what it is.

Took me almost 3 hours to get my scanner, computer and drivers talking to each other.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007 - 09:14:42 PM »
Thanks for that too.  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007 - 11:06:36 PM »
Plum crazy, is that cosmoline on your lower control arms or a "gold" paint?  I a spray can of cosmoline that I am hoping will do the job.  Also, I see some sort of orange substance on all the tie rod end nuts, what's the scoop on that?

Thanks

No paint on any of those front end components.  The spray cosmoline will work fine.  Hang and mask the LCA and then spray one light coat at a time and let it dry before applying another coat, otherwise it will just run off and make a mess and be a waste of the product.  Orange paint on the castle nuts was done during assembly, basically insuring proper torque.

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007 - 01:19:55 AM »
Here's the article.

Take it for what it is.

Took me almost 3 hours to get my scanner, computer and drivers talking to each other.

Here are some more pictures of the green car.