Author Topic: Question for everyone  (Read 4358 times)

Offline djr71

Question for everyone
« on: September 16, 2007 - 12:16:11 PM »
I have been a Mopar guy for a long time I have owned several Cuda's, a Challenger, Dusters, darts, and even an all Mopar powered 41 Plymouth street rod. I stepped away from Mopars years ago and got into mustangs. But I had my heart set on getting another e body.
Two years ago I bought a 74 Barracuda, I stripped it put a new roof on it, bought 80-90% of the sheet metal it needs put it on a rotisserie and been working on it (slowly). I have a few bucks into it right now.
A year and a half ago I was involved in a real bad car accident, it was a fatality. The state police, local police and insurance company has ruled me to be 100% not at fault. But I am still being sued.
Anyways with out getting into details my cars have been mentioned as assets. So in a year or so I might lose my Barracuda plus more.
So my question to you guys is Do I sell the car now and get another Mopar thats driveable so I can at drive it before it's taken away or keep going on my car and hope common sense prevails? What do you guys think?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Question for everyone
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007 - 12:18:56 PM »
tough call , if the world was fair you would have Nothing to worry about being deemed Not at fault , but you never know what you will get in a court room

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 70challrtse

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007 - 12:19:59 PM »
Talk to your lawyer and if the facts are as you say, you should not have anything to worry about.

Offline djr71

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007 - 12:27:55 PM »
The lawyer for the insurance company and my personal lawyer can not believe it has gone this far. But they have stated if it goes to trial all you need is a sympathetic jury. I live in Mass. almost everyone here is looking for a free ride.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007 - 12:33:50 PM »
I say you sell it to me and when this is all over and done with, I'll sell it back to you for the same amount.   :2cents:

Offline djr71

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007 - 12:38:24 PM »
We thought of that  but Ithink it would have to actually leave the garage. My friend offered to buy all three of my cars. Plus the lawyers asked the value of them.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007 - 12:48:29 PM »
We thought of that  but Ithink it would have to actually leave the garage. My friend offered to buy all three of my cars. Plus the lawyers asked the value of them.

Move ALL your assets to someone you trust.  Lawyers are going to be the downfall of this country!  Doesn't matter whether your right or not, they will try to get everything you own.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007 - 12:52:05 PM »

I have never understood the whole American "sue happy" thing.  :-\ You have to be so careful over there, fart in the wrong place you'll probably get sued by someone. If you're not guilty by law and set free (no time/fine) then how can they still sue you?! I only found out a few weeks back that although OJ Simpson was found not guilty the victims of the boyfriend? sued OJ for murder and got over a 100 million, yet, in court he was found not guilty. I just don't get it. Best of luck with your situation and I hope you don't have to sell your Mopar or anything else to line someones pockets.

:2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:05:47 PM »
I would be VERY VERY careful if I were you.  They WILL review all of your financial transactions for the previous 12 months and selling your cars will be deemed fraudulant and could pre-empt any mitigation (going easy on you).  Ask your lawyer, he'll tell you so.  Don't ask me how I know but PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS.  I nearly came close to making the same mistake recently.

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:14:44 PM »
I have been dealing with the "justice" system for years now and am absolutely terrified of civil court. It doesn't matter if all the facts show complete innocence of a party, all it takes is an idiot or two, along with a couple of bleeding hearts, and you can lose the case against you. All of the rules and protections that are given people in criminal court don't necessarily apply to civil court. What may not have been a good enough case for criminal prosecution is, in a lot of cases, plenty for a civil judgment against someone.
With all of that being said, I'd probably be real careful about transferring your belongings to someone else. Especially doing it in one fell swoop. Maybe over time, a little bit at a time and done well in advance of a judgment would probably be the way to go. Not that I know anyone who'd pulled that off, but...............  Well, you get the idea.
Good luck to you and wish you the best. Just hang on to you butt though. And hire a real good civil attorney to defend you.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:25:23 PM »
Move ALL your assets to someone you trust. 

I had a legal incident decades ago and I sold my Challenger to a friend for $1.  On the other hand, I never had to test to see if this would stand up in court (i.e., the idiots who were suing me just went away), so I don't know if it would have worked.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007 - 06:53:18 PM by ChallengerHK »

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline djr71

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007 - 01:32:06 PM »
My thought in selling the Barracuda is not to hide the car or money it's to buy something driveable to go out spins some tires and enjoy. Then if I lose sell it and turn over the money. This whole thing is a nightmare. I feel that the more money I put into my car is more money they can get. So if I sold it and bought say a duster with a 318 play for a year and sell it it's not like sinking $10,000 more into my car and still having to sell it. I am going by the worst case senerio but both lawyers told me it's very possible.
I doubt selling it for $1. would help, since the lawyers did ask the value of everything, condo, & stocks too.
Just goes to prove working and being honest just doesn't pay.

Offline 70challrtse

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007 - 02:04:40 PM »
I would be VERY VERY careful if I were you.  They WILL review all of your financial transactions for the previous 12 months and selling your cars will be deemed fraudulant and could pre-empt any mitigation (going easy on you).  Ask your lawyer, he'll tell you so.  Don't ask me how I know but PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS.  I nearly came close to making the same mistake recently.
:iagree: Very good advice.

Offline 70challrtse

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007 - 02:07:04 PM »
I say you sell it to me and when this is all over and done with, I'll sell it back to you for the same amount.   :2cents:
I'm sure you are joking because what you are suggesting could be a crime - fraudulent transfer.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007 - 02:09:51 PM by 70challrtse »

Offline enforcer505

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007 - 02:19:42 PM »
i dont no much about US laws, but couldnt you give the car to a brother or sis and just put it in there name? once it blows over, get it back? just curious. because it seems today if you look at a person the wrong way they will sue you :S