Author Topic: Question for everyone  (Read 4357 times)

Offline djr71

Re: Question for everyone
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007 - 02:22:01 PM »
No unfortunatley I can't do that either. I can't wait until it's over I'll tell you all the details you guys would be shocked.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007 - 02:33:03 PM »
I had a leal incident decades ago and I sold my Challenger to a friend for $1.  On the other hand, I never had to test to see if this would stand up in court (i.e., the idiots who were suing me just went away), so I don't know if it would have worked.

I agree with this statement. Sell the car for next to nothing to a relative or friend you trust and when the storm settles down, buy it back. No reason why you should lose assets when you are not at fault.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007 - 02:37:20 PM »
I did not read the whole thread and cannot believe you dont have the freedom to sell the car to a friend. If not for a dollar then a gift or even for a decent amount and then buy it back. Then again you state you cannot wait for the storm to blow over, I feel for you and hope it all works out. The people who have a case and a need get screwed while the liars and greedsters with no case somehow end up with the big money, sometimes our justice system blows.
*Brett*

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007 - 03:36:14 PM »
This is a sad situation for you to be in, and unfortunately it can happen to anyone in this country who has any assets to speak of.  I really need to up my car insurance up from 300K to 500K or even 1 M liability and your post should be a wake up call to others about their insurance liability coverage.  In some cases if your liability amount is too low in a claim, the insurance company will just settle for that amount and leave you on your own to defend yourself and to pay additional amounts the courts levy against you.
A "umbrella" insurance policy can be a good thing to have also if you are at least marginally wealthy. :2cents:

Offline 70challrtse

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007 - 03:38:43 PM »
A "umbrella" insurance policy can be a good thing to have also if you are at least marginally wealthy. :2cents:
Very true.

Offline djr71

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007 - 03:44:30 PM »
The sad part about it is my family owns an insurance agency. So I am sure that has lead to the decision to sue. No matter how much insurance you have it may never be enough. when this is over I will get myself an umbrella.
I was told if I sold the car to a friend or a family and I lose then I get the car back I could be in troule. They said theywould even attach my salary.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007 - 03:55:05 PM »
The sad part about it is my family owns an insurance agency. So I am sure that has lead to the decision to sue. No matter how much insurance you have it may never be enough. when this is over I will get myself an umbrella.
I was told if I sold the car to a friend or a family and I lose then I get the car back I could be in troule. They said theywould even attach my salary.

Is it possible to give it away and leave it in the other persons name? This topic is just peaving me off no end because of the injustice of it. I could easily understand the other side of the story if you were found at fault but to be cleared and still be sued seems in itself to be a criminal act.
*Brett*

Offline djr71

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007 - 04:11:04 PM »
Trust me I have been walking around in a fog since I met with the lawyers.

Offline 70challrtse

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2007 - 06:33:46 PM »
If the facts are as you say, and you have even barely competent attorneys, you have very little to worry about. I'm assumming that because you have hired an attorney, in addition to the attorney hired by your insurance company, that the demand exceeds your coverage?

Offline djr71

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2007 - 07:11:30 PM »
I do have very competent lawyers and they are seeking more than my coverages. If it goes to trial like someon abe said it juat takes a couple sympathetic jurrors

Offline BARACDA

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2007 - 07:37:34 PM »
Sounds like you need to find a reason to countersue...  If someones going to take shots at you and yours might as well use thier "weapons" against them too.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007 - 09:15:49 AM »
This whole thing sounds like another great Americam %^&* Story!!! Get your attorneys opinion, And an opinion of another. The bleeding hearts have made it so easy for the "people" to get a free ride, it really makes you wonder what the he11 you are working for. I wish you the best of luck.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007 - 09:57:14 AM »
Sounds like you need to find a reason to countersue...  If someones going to take shots at you and yours might as well use thier "weapons" against them too.
  :iagree: Make the person suing you really think about it when he has a letter in his hand with a letter of YOU ARE BEING COUNTER SUED.he may have second thoughts then and just drop thwe case.  :dunno:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline djr71

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007 - 11:06:18 AM »
We looked into that but because I did not suffer any physical injuries I can not sue

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007 - 02:25:19 PM »
We looked into that but because I did not suffer any physical injuries I can not sue
psychological damage can be present even if there are no physical inuries. The stress alone of the possibility of losing your possessions could do it.
*Brett*