Author Topic: What do you like better?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
What do you like better?
« on: September 16, 2007 - 06:36:03 PM »
You guys know what I mean?  I absolutely LOVE the sound of an engine sucking air, sounds way better than exhaust to me.  Just wondering what everyone else thinks, and why.   :swaying:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: What do you like better?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007 - 06:42:54 PM »
I like em both, but intake noise is what I like the best.   :thumbsup:  I remember the days of running those air cleaner lids upside down on the thermoquads.  Talk about induction noise when you nail it!  You could hear em from a LOOOONG ways off.   :grinyes:   Two fours and a reasonably quiet exhaust sounded just awesome.  A well tuned street Hemi at full honk was music to the ears.......    :drool:    :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007 - 09:49:45 PM »
NOISY azz gear drives  :bigsmile:

sleepychallenger

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007 - 10:41:34 PM »
i go for the lumpy throaty exhaust, especially at idle.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007 - 11:55:17 PM »
I love the sound of my thermoquad when you open it up. My 14 year old son has even said it is the coolest sound coming out of a car engine he has ever heard. I have a K&N air filter and you can really hear it suck in the air.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007 - 12:28:57 AM »
I like blower wine. :)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007 - 12:40:55 AM »
I like em both, but intake noise is what I like the best.   :thumbsup:  I remember the days of running those air cleaner lids upside down on the thermoquads.  Talk about induction noise when you nail it!  You could hear em from a LOOOONG ways off.   :grinyes:   Two fours and a reasonably quiet exhaust sounded just awesome.  A well tuned street Hemi at full honk was music to the ears.......    :drool:    :cooldancing:   
lol you stole my words! My first car was a 75 Cordoba with the dual exhaust 400 and it was pretty muscular for such a heavy car. The primaries were nice and small but when those pencil lead size streams of gas came out of those huge secondaries that thing would get up and go! slap stick, tachometer, 3.21 sure grip 9.25, leather buckets, red/white/white, man I miss that car. Funny, that car would actually be worth something today with the options it had, I have never seen another Cordoba with those options in person.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007 - 02:36:54 AM »
The intake sounds so much better IMO. The second engine i put in my Challenger came out of a 68 New Yorker with 58,000 original miles, and ran perfect. When i went to go get it, i put in a battery, took off the air cleaner pored some gas in, and almost died when i heard it. It mad no exhaust noise at all, but sounded like it could suck a small child in it with ease.

Offline Morris'_Mopars

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007 - 08:49:31 AM »
I guess it depends on the cam size for the exhaust sound. I like to hear the car just sit there and lope and smell the racing fuel......I also like it when the car is ideling and the whole car is moving with the lope of the cam......... :drool:
Morris' Mopars LLC
Raymond, Illinois
Mopar performance at affordable prices.

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007 - 11:59:47 AM »
I guess it depends on the cam size for the exhaust sound. I like to hear the car just sit there and lope and smell the racing fuel......I also like it when the car is ideling and the whole car is moving with the lope of the cam......... :drool:

I totally agree, I love the sound of a lopey cam at idle and watching the car rock.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007 - 12:04:24 PM »
Nothing compares to the sound of a Thermoquad's secondaries opening.

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007 - 12:27:27 PM »
Love the sound of the outboard carbs openning on a six pack.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007 - 03:28:50 AM »
Gotta agree with the sound of a thermoquad dumping its back barrels wide open.  But the sound of any mopar idleling is music to my ears!  :bigshades:

I really wanted to nail the Cuda, but the water pump just took a dump on me and i had to get her home.  I was forced to drive like a school bus driver. There's a little bit of sound in this video of both the Cuda (outside exhaust through a closed window) and the 2007 Grand Prix's V-8 303HP engine equipped with a K&N cold air intake.  :blah: :blah: :blah:
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007 - 10:01:52 AM »
I cant believe exhaust is winning now.   :screwy:

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007 - 10:30:00 AM »
Well, you hear the rumble of an exhasut even while idling,so it is very important as more will hear that sound. . BUT, Nothing beats the howl of 4 barrells screaming for air :ylsuper: