Author Topic: Smoking ban  (Read 3225 times)

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
Smoking ban
« on: September 17, 2007 - 12:00:47 PM »
 :pullinghair:  :swear: Well here we go also in the good 'ol state of minnesota.a state smoking ban in all public places including bars,taverns,pubs and resturants go's into affect october 1st.13 more days to light one up at my local watering hole.It's going to take some time getting use to this ban cause i'm just to use to having a amoke while having a cold bud light after work.city of st paul had this in affect for around two years now and each time i was in a bar down there i lit one up by mistake.now it's state wide and going to be a bummer.  :stomp:  :swear: government at it's best again and taking away from us again.  :swear: i know darn well some of you will disagree with this but i think that each business should be able to choose if they want smoking or not.if people don't want to smell smoke,DON'T GO IN THE BUILDING!!!!!!!!!I Know of a couple of bars that are going to really take it in the shorts let alone stay in business.now the city of WEST st paul; where i live banned bars from buildingon outside seating for smokers.LOCAL government stopping this.  :swear:   :swear:  :swear: i guess i don't stop much at the abr and go straight home to smoke.at least for now the fr%&^*g gov't has'nt taking that away from me YET!!!!!!!!!!!YA i'm a little peeded off.enough ofmmy ranting and  :blah:  :blah:  :blah: but whats the gov't going to take away next,OUR CARS?????????????????????Think about that one.  :swear:  :swear:  :pullinghair:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
Re: Smoking ban
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007 - 12:15:48 PM »
Fanatic,

As a non-smoker, I don't want to smell smoke while I'm eating or while I'm having a drink at a bar.  BUT, it's not right for me to tell you or the owner of the place of business if patrons can smoke.  If the owner wants a non-smoking establishment, he faces losing the smoker's business or non-smoker's if he goes smoking.  It's his call because it's his business.  If I feel strongly enough about it, I'll go where I feel most comfortable. 

The gov't needs to butt out, economics will take care of it. :villagers:

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007 - 12:27:39 PM »
 :iagree:

BUT, big companies don't want to loose ANYONE'S business, so that's why they didn't handle it themselves, otherwise this wouldn't be a problem.  Coming from a former smoker, I could care less, but I would choose the non-smoking place over a smoking place to eat.  The pool hall I go to is smoking and I come home on Thursday nights smelling like an ashtray, but I choose to go there.

One thing people need to remember is that the 2nd hand smoke is worse than the smoke smokers inhale because it's not filtered.  Not for nothing, but just because you decide you want to kill yourself slowly doesn't give you the right to bring everyone else down around you (unintentionally of course) in a public place.....hence the reason for the bans.

Just my  :2cents:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007 - 12:34:07 PM »

It's happening everywhere. NZ has been smoke free in work places, pubs, hotels anywhere public except in the street for a couple of years now. England, Aussie and the majority of America is (I think). At first (as a smoker) I thought it was crap, nothing like drinking plss and having a smoke at the bar, now I have to wander outside with NO BEER in hand!?! :( (That's the worst part) :lol: But, I'm used to it now and I think it's a good idea.

Why should others stand in a haze of smoke? Being PC, "yes, they chose to go into the bar" but in the real world, where else can they go to enjoy a night on the booze? BUT, I would also like to see set smokers bars, perhaps a chain "TSB - The Smokers Bar" etc spread throughout the cities. If non-smokers have bars, why not build one for smokers? That way people know what bar is what. If a non smoker complains about smoking in a "Smokers Bar" then GTFO!  ;) Keep everyone happy.

:2cents: :smokin:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007 - 12:45:36 PM »
Being a non-smoker and rather active college student, it's good to see a fair mix between the two.  One of the most well-known bars in Platteville is a little country bar that doesn't allow smoking inside, but has a fenced in back (complete with bar) to cater to the smoking crowd.  I must admit I don't really care for going downtown to hang out and have a couple, only to come back 2-4 hours later stenched in smoke.  The way I see it is if it can work in Madison, why not all the smaller cities/towns in the rest of WI?
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007 - 12:58:17 PM »
OK,

I've said my peace about the owner's right to choose whether he wants to allow smoking in his establishment.  Now let's take this a bit farther.  Second hand smoke is more harmful than "regular" smoke ?  I won't argue that, just ask a simple question, can anyone name 3 people who have died from second hand smoke?  I'm not taking sides on this one, just want to see the facts.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007 - 01:09:20 PM »
Yes, there are other ways to deal with it besides legislation. I'm not a smoker, and I don't like being around smoke, but there should be places where smokers can go, where they can be comfortable in the indulgance of their habit. I think they have the right to kill themselves, I just don't think they have the right to kill me too.

I also think that any legislation passed should be broad enough to address the problem, not just ban it completely. For instance, if a bar wanted to created a sealed smoking room/section with separate entrances, or wanted to install a negative pressure system to get rid of the smoke, they should be allowed to do that to satisfy the legislation. I used to work for a company that used asbestos. They had a negative pressure system that literally sucked you into the building when you opened the door.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007 - 01:44:05 PM »
Here around Detroit, I know of a couple cigar bars that cater to the cigar and cig smokers and sell both in house.  If that happens in Michigan, they will be out of business.  I personally don't care either way . . if you want to smoke, go ahead.  Just try not to blow it right in my face please.   

sleepychallenger

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007 - 01:54:59 PM »

For instance, if a bar wanted to created a sealed smoking room/section with separate entrances, or wanted to install a negative pressure system to get rid of the smoke, they should be allowed to do that to satisfy the legislation. I used to work for a company that used asbestos. They had a negative pressure system that literally sucked you into the building when you opened the door.

dont some airports have something like this. I know the Airport in Atlanta and i think in Chicago have them. I used to be a smoker and didnt mind going to one of these rooms but there is no reason that they should completely have to leave the establishment to have a smoke, then come back in

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007 - 02:24:28 PM »
Fanatic,

As a non-smoker, I don't want to smell smoke while I'm eating or while I'm having a drink at a bar.  BUT, it's not right for me to tell you or the owner of the place of business if patrons can smoke.  If the owner wants a non-smoking establishment, he faces losing the smoker's business or non-smoker's if he goes smoking.  It's his call because it's his business.  If I feel strongly enough about it, I'll go where I feel most comfortable. 

The gov't needs to butt out, economics will take care of it. :villagers:

P.G.

:grinyes: :iagree:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline mopar_guy

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007 - 02:29:28 PM »
i am a smoker,but hate second hand smoke  :sly: i always try to keep my distance if i am smoking anywhere with alot of people around.but at the same time,the government targets smokers.i just saw a pamphlet today how cig. taxes may be raised again in michigan again.if i am correct i think the tax has been raised six or seven times since 2001.i jst dont think it fair to target smokers.but theyre gonna do what they want all i can do is deal with it or kick the habbit. but i think i'll shut up while im ahead.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007 - 02:49:37 PM »
As an ex-smoker I used to be of the opinion that I did not care if someone smoked around me or not. As time goes by it is more and more difficult to deal with it because I guess it is more and more annoying. My dad smokes and he can tell you I am one of the very few who does not preach to him or condemn him for smoking, he will quit when he is good and ready. I think it is a good idea to create smoking bars if smoking is banned in all other places. It is odd how a smoker cannot smell it on their person or clothes and a non smoker can pick it up right away. The world she is a changin
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007 - 03:12:26 PM »

Just for reference, I'm a very consider smoker. If I am in the company of non smokers I will go out of the room or if I'm outside I'll make sure I blow it straight up into the air. I don't stand there and let it out where ever the wind wants to blow it. Also, If I've just had a smoke, I'll usually wait a minute or two and fan my blazer or clothes to get rid of some/most of the smell, especially prior to getting into a car.  :biggrin:

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007 - 03:23:13 PM »

Just for reference, I'm a very consider smoker. If I am in the company of non smokers I will go out of the room or if I'm outside I'll make sure I blow it straight up into the air. I don't stand there and let it out where ever the wind wants to blow it. Also, If I've just had a smoke, I'll usually wait a minute or two and fan my blazer or clothes to get rid of some/most of the smell, especially prior to getting into a car.  :biggrin:

NZ, not trying to sound rude, but if you do all that and it's that troublesome for you to smoke sometimes, why do it at all?  Why not just quit?

Just curious.... :wave:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007 - 03:27:20 PM »
NZ, not trying to sound rude, but if you do all that and it's that troublesome for you to smoke sometimes, why do it at all?  Why not just quit?

Just curious.... :wave:

Its nothing really, blowing smoke up and fanning my clothes takes little effort. :) I have quit once but I do enjoy it. It is an addiction yes but I also love to light up. Good with beers, driving (not in Lucy/Madeline) out fishing. Just nice to have a smoke when I want one. One thing I noticed when I wasn't smoking was the urge to just have a couple a day.

I thought that would be great. So, I started again but found that 2 or 3 just wasn't enough of a fix. I'd like to sit down 2 or 3 times a day and really enjoy them and have no more for the day (eg: no filling in time durries). I'm at around 15 smokes a day down from a pack a day+ so I'm doing OK. I'll probably give up one day, just not anytime soon......

PS: Nothing rude about it, no worries. :cheers: