Author Topic: Just for HemiDog - YO AAR hood rant  (Read 2364 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Just for HemiDog - YO AAR hood rant
« on: September 17, 2007 - 05:52:44 PM »
After I saw HemiDog's post yesterday I wanted to send a "hang in there, it's not just you" post in reply.

This is my year one AAR hood I bought a while ago ($700+200 for shipping), waited a few months (3-4) to get it and well, to be short-it doesn't fit real well. And it has a crack (from shipping) that I didn't catch before the driver left. It's going to take a bunch of time to fix. Now before everyone jumps on the "restoration parts aren't as good as the OE, you expect too much" bandwagon, let me just say that I didn't expect it to be perfect. I did expect to spend some time making it smooth and such. I was hoping that the shape would be somewhat the same. And lastly, I took my stock steel hood off that fit just about perfect - panel fit and all - and put this hood on and the gaps were exactly (as bad) as they are now. See if you can count how many issues this thing has.....and I'll list all the issues later...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007 - 05:56:43 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: Just for HemiDog - YO AAR hood rant
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007 - 06:06:57 PM »
Just from the way it is turned up on the ends I would reject it but you probably could not tell until you installed it. I personally dont know why the restoration parts cant be nicer, they are getting big money for mopar stuff compared to chevy and ford stuff so they need to get it right. I would be like you, very pissed at that expensive piece of junk! Sorry if I butted into a one on one thread but I just had to reply  :bigsmile:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007 - 06:09:24 PM »
The good news is that your AAR hood is way better than my T/A hood that I got from Unlimited Products. Mine was basically crap and I will never order from them again.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007 - 06:27:23 PM »
Just from the way it is turned up on the ends I would reject it but you probably could not tell until you installed it. I personally dont know why the restoration parts cant be nicer, they are getting big money for mopar stuff compared to chevy and ford stuff so they need to get it right. I would be like you, very pissed at that expensive piece of junk! Sorry if I butted into a one on one thread but I just had to reply  :bigsmile:
Yeah, YO would replace the hood, but I would have to pay another $200 to ship it back to them, I decided to eat it and move on.....the turned up ends look like the hood was stood on end before the fiberglass was fully cured, the windshield opening area is messed up too....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007 - 08:22:23 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 67Vette427

• My other car is not a Rambler
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007 - 08:08:19 PM »
Having Vettes I see a lot of fiberglass parts and that one is rough.... I don't know how people can do that to somebody. Its not quite as bad as the 6 million dollar man but you should be able to rebuild it. I've done a lot of glass work and it can be done.
1 of 1 Mr Norm's T/A/ 2015 Hellcat, sublime/ 13 Power Wagon

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007 - 08:21:52 PM »
After talking to a friend of mine, it doesn't sound like a huge deal to fix, just the fact that I -HAVE- to fix it is what upsets me.

Offline gkring

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007 - 09:40:12 PM »
For what it's worth at least once a month Year One sells a damaged AAR hood on Ebay. All of them look like shipping damages and go for about $400-$500. Don't know if they are coming to them that way or these are the rejects they get back, but it tells me the damage is pretty common. Good thing is that repaired fiberglass isn't as bad as a repaired steel hood. Did Year One offer to give you a repair allowance? I am parts manager at a dealership and I'll sell something at cost (sometimes below) to make a customer satisfied and not have to deal with a damage claim.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007 - 01:17:38 AM »
At the time, they did not mention anything about a repair allowance. Once I get it sorted out it will look ok.

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007 - 09:30:38 AM »
This sucks.   I completely understand your frustration with this.   Can't say have had this exact issue, but been in a similar boat, as have most all of us.   It kind of amazes me at how many bad products are available to us and then to think of the money we have to pay for the bad stuff.  I can understand if this was a cheap part for, lets say a Chebby, and receive something like this.  But come on... :swear: :stomp: :villagers:

Offline BacardiCBR

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007 - 04:33:22 PM »
Same deal on mine I got from Year One.  The contouring along the passenger side did not match the contouring of the fender (too flat).  Also, the scoop had a deflated look to it.  By that I mean the center of the scoop was actually lower then the sides resulting in a very "tired" appearance.  Luckily, I had planned to redo the look of the scoop anyways (a little taller).  Not much can be done about the contour issue though.

I did call Year One and complain.  I was able to arrange for them to refund my money and even for them to cover shipping on the way back.  I ultimately ended up keeping the hood though.

Good luck!
'70 AAR Tribute Car