Author Topic: bellhousing dowel pins  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Mike71Cuda

bellhousing dowel pins
« on: September 18, 2007 - 02:55:35 PM »
After installing my engine and lining up with trans I noticed I do not have dowel pins on block. Now that I have everything together shoudl I use the offset pins (Lakewood Ind.)? I am assuming they will install easier than having to pound in the straight pins, with probably no clearance? Obviously the smart thing would have been to do this before but that ship has sailed. Any thoughts either way? What have your experiences been?
Thx
Smitty

Offline 70RT/SE

• I'm a llama!
Re: bellhousing dowel pins
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007 - 04:56:31 PM »
I am assuming this is a manual tranny. You should align your bellhousing with a dial indicator, The bellhousing should be concentric with the crankshaft within .005" (.010 TIR).
I used these dowel pins....http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/dowels.html
They are much easier to work with. I think Robb is an engineer at Mallory who designed them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007 - 04:59:42 PM by 70RT/SE »

Offline matt63

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007 - 08:21:09 PM »
The Lakewood offset pins still have to be pushed in.  You can dial in your bell housing with straight pins and see what you get for run out if you want.  You might luck out. The process does take time and I remember ruining one set of pins.  I believe Lakewoods instructions were pretty good.  A small dial indicator and a proper fixture for the crank will make the job a lot easier too.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Robb

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007 - 01:17:03 AM »
I am assuming this is a manual tranny. You should align your bellhousing with a dial indicator, The bellhousing should be concentric with the crankshaft within .005" (.010 TIR).

yep  :burnout:   gotta do this.

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline LAA66

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007 - 09:56:29 AM »
 Unless your transmission (4 speed) always bolts up the same it needs to be dialed in also.

The early Lakewood bellhousings had a larger opening then the the front retainer on the trans. The 4 bolts attaching the trans allow a lot of play so each removal/installation changed the location. Went through many clutches, pilot bearings, and even ruined a crank do the the excessive pressures on the thrust bearing from the improper alignment. Eventually figured it out and had both the bellhousing and the trans indexed. Had to have a collar made for the bellhouse/retainer to insure a tight, proper fit every time.   :blah:   

Offline matt63

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007 - 10:02:35 AM »
My Lakewood bellhousing came with a metal ring to insert in the opening where the transmission locates.  I assumed it was to accommodate front bearing retainers of different sizes.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD