Author Topic: New Shaker Hoods on eBay?  (Read 8195 times)

Offline Green Drop Top

Re: New Shaker Hoods on eBay?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2007 - 10:49:54 PM »
Can you expand on this cost difference?  From what I can tell, it would seem like the cost of the new hoods would be 1/2 the cost of converting?

Sure, no problem.

Our kit costs $550.00 (with shipping)delivered anywhere in the USA, the complete hoods (with shipping) average around $1,200.00 delivered. The flat hoods required to build a Harms kit into a Shaker vary in cost so that's going to vary. Some people got them for nothing, some have paid hundreds. Let's assume you have a flat hood already, buy our kit, and have some basic tools and skills with a weekend to kill at home or in your shop, you can do a conversion yourself, which BTW is what we designed them for. We did not design them so that a professional shop was required to convert them, it's not. Some people lack the time, tools, or skills to do the work so they farm it out, body work is expensive in a decent shop and can easily cost what the kit did to pay for the conversion. That choice is up to each customer.

The bottom line is that regardless of the cost, if you follow our directions (which comes with each kit on a CD) you can build a VERY accurate Shaker hood replica (the most accurate on the market in any form) that few people could decern from an original,  and you could do it for around $600.00 if you do the work yourself.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007 - 10:58:24 PM »
Sure, no problem.

Our kit costs $550.00 (with shipping)delivered anywhere in the USA, the complete hoods (with shipping) average around $1,200.00 delivered. The flat hoods required to build a Harms kit into a Shaker vary in cost so that's going to vary. Some people got them for nothing, some have paid hundreds. Let's assume you have a flat hood already, buy our kit, and have some basic tools and skills with a weekend to kill at home or in your shop, you can do a conversion yourself, which BTW is what we designed them for. We did not design them so that a professional shop was required to convert them, it's not. Some people lack the time, tools, or skills to do the work so they farm it out, body work is expensive in a decent shop and can easily cost what the kit did to pay for the conversion. That choice is up to each customer.

:
The bottom line is that regardless of the cost, if you follow our directions (which comes with each kit on a CD) you can build a VERY accurate Shaker hood replica (the most accurate on the market in any form) that few people could decern from an original,  and you could do it for around $600.00 if you do the work yourself.

That some good info there!!  Not sure I would have the skills but I have friends that would.   :grinyes:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007 - 11:24:29 PM by 4Cruizn »

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2007 - 11:21:44 PM »
I started the process of converting one of my flat hoods last weekend and it is not that difficult. I should be able to finish it next weekend and I will post pictures of how it goes. I plan on ordering 3 more kits (from Harms) hopefully before the end of the year for my other cuda hood and my 2 challenger hoods. For me having the tools and time I would rather buy 2 of Harms kits and make 2 hoods than buy one of these new reproductions. Just my 2 cents.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007 - 12:48:04 AM »

Well, split field then on the subject then, good stuff. We'll all take a look at these once complete. Scott, I won't debate it, I'll take your word for it any day, it's your business. It's like telling me how to land sharks from the shore. However, you seem to let everyone know Harms is "the best" and all the imperfections of the other products. No one will know any different looking at these hoods compared to yours unless they eat, breath & sleep shaker hoods like yourself, so, I'm not worried. As long as the quality is good that is all that matters to me. 100% correctness is not an issue.

If I were building a trailer queen car that had to be correct, I'd go original or NOS, perhaps even one of your kits but since I'm not I'll go with one of these. One thing some seem to be getting confused about is the quality. Quality from what I have heard and seen is good (time will tell how good when I see it in person). Yours maybe the most correct but as I said, only judges and the odd few like Barry will know the difference but the quality is fine, just 101% correctness may not be, then again, it may well be as well.

As long as I have a shaker hood an the 'Cuda I'm happy but won't have my hood talked down.
I don't do cheap or tacky. If it's THAT bad, I'll remove it & buy something else, no drama.

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2007 - 01:11:52 AM »
I'm afraid that the quality of these new hoods may not be good enough. Until we see one on a car we won't know. If it fits like my T/A hood (i know fiberglass and steel comparison not the greatest but you get the idea) then I will convert flat hoods all day long, because if I am going to have to spend time modifying these new hoods to make them fit then I am better off buying a kit and spendgin time converting a flat core. But I am sure they will be good enough for most.

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007 - 06:47:51 AM »
these hoods were based off actual NOS donor hood. Goodmark paid 7000.00 plus shipping to send the japan. There are not out yet but, I'm sure AMD sent either an NOS or clean suitable hood to be cut apart. New steel ecoated. vs OE there will always be an argument from some sceptics. But if you do not have a shaker and want one this is economical for the other E-Body owner to change the look of there car with out getting beat up buy the current way. Buy the core the buy the conversion kit then have someone do it. Which either way it is upto that individual. we can all pick fly **** out of pepper on all parts, don't like them then don't buy them. We all have been over charged for years on parts.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007 - 09:07:21 AM »
these hoods were based off actual NOS donor hood. Goodmark paid 7000.00 plus shipping to send the japan. There are not out yet but, I'm sure AMD sent either an NOS or clean suitable hood to be cut apart.

Actually Dave, the original hood that was sent over by Goodmark is the very same hood AMD used to get thier patterns from, An ex Goodmark employee who now works for AMD made that happen (As Mike R. for the details, he knows all about it).

As far as what they/we used for a pattern or how much was spent on getting it developed, that's a mute subject, all Shaker hoods & kits on the market are based off of original parts, it's a matter of who accomplished the closest match that is being debated, not what parts we all started with.

Like you say, it's up to the individual, to each his own, our customers now have a choice, I have no problem with that   :cheers:

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007 - 05:33:29 PM »
Yes , i agree. you have good things, so does others. I am aware of the Issue with Mark vs. Goodmark and the other issues between. There politics are theres. I just need good parts and a fair price to serve the mopar nation as you do.
Scott, who do you use for the bubbles and other components. I am searching for a vendor to supply me with all of the rest of the shaker parts.  I can buy one or 50. It doesn't matter as long as they are good parts at a fair price.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
71 FM3 Challenger RT
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007 - 05:35:59 PM »
Does anyone sell the bubble already finished in the argent silver with the holes drilled for the emblems?

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007 - 06:55:48 PM »
Scott, who do you use for the bubbles and other components. I am searching for a vendor to supply me with all of the rest of the shaker parts.  I can buy one or 50. It doesn't matter as long as they are good parts at a fair price.

Well, good luck buying any of this stuff from either Gene or Ben in volume, you'd be better off getting Mike to tool up IMO..........That being said:

I reccomend using Gene Gregory for bubbles (and most everything else). He also sells through Art Pachecho at Six Pack Performance. I haven't seen any same or better quality on the market compared to Gene's stuff. That being said he's also the most expensive (but not by a ton) so it depends on where the buyers priorities are, bottom dollar pricing or accuracey to OEM. AAR fiberglass makes a nice bubble as well but Gene's trump them in the finer details and cost is about the same.

The most criticle items to get "right" are the bubble and the grills, the rest of the smaller parts you can shop around for the best price and do ok concerning decent fitment and original appearance. If the bubble is a low end piece it will show, same goes for the fitment of the grills into the bubble, cheap usually shows or requires a TON of extra custom hand work to make them look anything near right.

There are only two sources making base plates and adapter rings in steel as factory, Ben Snobar and Gene Gregory. Again, I prefer Gene's as IMO his are closer to OEM in appearance details at a similar but typically higher price. There are other manufacturers making them in fiberglass but they are generally lower quality and show poor details, plus I don't reccomend using FG under the hood.

IMO the door is wide open for someone to do a lower cost reproduction of all of these parts, I thought someone would have by now as that's where the real bucks are required when doing a complete Shaker conversion, currently it's hard to buy everything aside from the hood itself for any less than about $2,500.00, heck the hood (or hood kit  ;)) is'nt even 30% of the cost, hoods are the "lost leader" in the overall scheme of things.

:2cents:

*Concerning bubbles with paint and holes for emblems, no, I don't know of anyone selling them pre-drilled (correctly) however if you look on the back sides of most brands you'll see tiny marks (bumps) on the undersides where the holes should be. AAR's scoops have them for sure. Gene Gregory used to sell his bubbles painted in Silver Argent already, he may still, you'll have to ask.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007 - 06:59:02 PM by Harms inc. »

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007 - 07:16:14 PM »
Well, good luck buying any of this stuff from either Gene or Ben in volume, you'd be better off getting Mike to tool up IMO..........That being said:

I reccomend using Gene Gregory for bubbles (and most everything else). He also sells through Art Pachecho at Six Pack Performance. I haven't seen any same or better quality on the market compared to Gene's stuff. That being said he's also the most expensive (but not by a ton) so it depends on where the buyers priorities are, bottom dollar pricing or accuracey to OEM. AAR fiberglass makes a nice bubble as well but Gene's trump them in the finer details and cost is about the same.

The most criticle items to get "right" are the bubble and the grills, the rest of the smaller parts you can shop around for the best price and do ok concerning decent fitment and original appearance. If the bubble is a low end piece it will show, same goes for the fitment of the grills into the bubble, cheap usually shows or requires a TON of extra custom hand work to make them look anything near right.

There are only two sources making base plates and adapter rings in steel as factory, Ben Snobar and Gene Gregory. Again, I prefer Gene's as IMO his are closer to OEM in appearance details at a similar but typically higher price. There are other manufacturers making them in fiberglass but they are generally lower quality and show poor details, plus I don't reccomend using FG under the hood.

IMO the door is wide open for someone to do a lower cost reproduction of all of these parts, I thought someone would have by now as that's where the real bucks are required when doing a complete Shaker conversion, currently it's hard to buy everything aside from the hood itself for any less than about $2,500.00, heck the hood (or hood kit  ;)) is'nt even 30% of the cost, hoods are the "lost leader" in the overall scheme of things.

:2cents:

*Concerning bubbles with paint and holes for emblems, no, I don't know of anyone selling them pre-drilled (correctly) however if you look on the back sides of most brands you'll see tiny marks (bumps) on the undersides where the holes should be. AAR's scoops have them for sure. Gene Gregory used to sell his bubbles painted in Silver Argent already, he may still, you'll have to ask.

If you buy Gene's grilles via e-bay, be forwarned!  The $150 come rough cast and need to be "finished".  I ordered a set before they qualified that last part.  I was a little P-O'd when I saw them since the ad said "EXACT to originals".

I guess they would if you had a perfect set as well to model off of and about 8-20 hours of grinding/machining to get them right dep. if you knew what you were doing.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007 - 07:41:15 PM »
If you buy Gene's grilles via e-bay, be forwarned!  The $150 come rough cast and need to be "finished".  I ordered a set before they qualified that last part.  I was a little P-O'd when I saw them since the ad said "EXACT to originals".

I guess they would if you had a perfect set as well to model off of and about 8-20 hours of grinding/machining to get them right dep. if you knew what you were doing.

Which is why I send EVERYONE direct to Art at Six Pack, he's got a better persona for dealing with people than Gene does and the prices are the same as going direct (Art only sells finished bubbles as far as I know). The finished bubbles Art sells go for between $250.00-$300.00, the price you paid on ebay seems to indicate why the one you bought wasn't finished.

*BTW, there is no such thing as an "Exact" replica of a factory Shaker bubble on the market today, every one of them has differences, some being much more obvious than others, IMO, Gene's (finished) bubbles are the best/most accurate out there at this time.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007 - 07:45:43 PM by Harms inc. »

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007 - 11:57:09 PM »
Got my bubble from Jeff Bobst. He live's in Waverly Iowa. His # is 319-352-2511. My shop says it's the best they've seen, worth a call I guess.

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2007 - 12:01:06 AM »
BTW, I noticed someone peddling the new shaker hoods on e-bag had a pic of the underside.  I could be wrong but the bracing look moulded to the hood.  It should be a separate welded piece with some of that goop (whatever it's called) oozing out from the gap.

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2007 - 12:11:44 AM »
selling on ebay is not peddling, it gives you the ability to sell out side of your market place. the brace is not molded. it is a separate stamped steel part that is welded in. i have been asked to post more pics of the inside structure since no else will or has the hoods to do so. which i will between now and monday
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
71 FM3 Challenger RT
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab