Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191378 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: ntstlgl - 70 Barracuda restomoderfercation - 11/15 - Things are lookin up.
« Reply #210 on: November 16, 2008 - 11:03:34 AM »
One thing bad about you doing the body work first is that a good paint guy will want to strip it to bare metal first then start fresh. After all, you will be telling everyone that this guy painted it. Of you want it painted quickly. Take it to a Maaco.  I've had them paint 9 cars for me. For less than $1000, they will sand and seal the entire car, urethane base coat, clear coat, sand and buff it.  Usually in less that a week. Door jambs, trunk and hood were $75 a hole, so $300 more. Why pay more when rock chips and bugs are going to ruin your paint over time anyway.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #211 on: November 16, 2008 - 11:55:41 AM »
Maybe rent a booth somewhere?  Eitherway it is frustrating that no one seems to want the job.  Are there no "resto" type shops out there?  We got a couple local shops that do older stuff but the $$$ is higher but a better job results from it usually.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #212 on: November 16, 2008 - 12:46:28 PM »
Eric,

If it doesn't work out on finding someone to paint your car; I know someone in the Salinas area. It would be worth the effort to come out and see his work in person. Recently, he just painted a GTX. I hear it is just incredible to see in person. I may be going out there next week-end to see it. If I do go, I'll make certain to take some pics and send to you if you still haven't found someone to paint your car. He does have a trailer and I'm pretty certain his labor rates are not as high.

-Mike
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2008 - 02:48:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone,
I've talked to resto shops in the area and I have one that I would like to use in San Jose (about 2 hours from me if traffic is light), but they have an 12-18 month lead time and it's $98@hr. Couple places in the sacto area I talked to were (I think) way high for just paint because they wanted to assemble the car (put doors/door glass back together, interior, drivetrain etc.) which I don't need to have done. When talking to one of them, the bottom line was figure start at 25k for the paint job and go from there.  ::) At their labor rate (72@hr) that equated out to almost 350 hours which I think is really high.

Shelbydogg, I agree on the bodywork thing, that's why I had the car blasted and sealed, no filler, essentially whoever does it starts from metal. The car needs metalwork, every panel, and the hood will need major work. In fact the hood will probably be the most expensive piece on the car in terms of time. It's a real POS and if I could get a better one (this is the year one "resto" hood) I would look into that as it would probably cost less in the long run. If I could get away with just some mud work and couple coats of fill primer sand/paint, I would go that route. If this was any other car, I'd be happy with a maaco or earl schibe paintjob. Just not this particular car.

Hey Mike, I think salinas is too far for me. May sound short-sighted but I want to have the ability to show up unannounced to see how things are going without taking a day off work to do so. Have to keep guys on their toes to make sure they are doing what they say they are going to do. I need to have some sort of "connection" with whoever paints it, like finding a babysitter for your kids.

About the only place I found to rent a booth would be through adult ed here in sac, but then I'd be back to who is going to shoot it? Me?

I've talked to 13 shops, got those narrowed down to three, talked to first one in person yesterday, maybe the second today or tomorrow, and the third tomorrow. One in North Sacramento, one near Natomas and one in Lodi. I think any of them can do the work, just have to shake hands and meet them face to face, get a feel for the shop and check their booth etc. before I decide. I'll share my findings once I do.

Added a couple of pics after rolling the car out in front of the house. I really wanted to lower it back down to ride height, but not in the cards today. Still looks pretty cool I think. Now if I can get that NP 244 transfer case and dana 44 front axle in there I'll be ready for some 4 wheelin!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008 - 12:34:25 AM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Travis72

« Reply #214 on: November 17, 2008 - 01:37:57 AM »
That does look pretty sweet!  One question... was all the body work that you did blasted off?

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #215 on: November 17, 2008 - 03:26:04 PM »
Travis, yep, all the filler work I did is gone now. Most of the guys I talked to wanted to start with bare metal or just epoxy. I'll chalk it up to learning. Next car I'll do myself.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #216 on: November 17, 2008 - 05:40:41 PM »
Coming right along!!! Should be awesome when your finished. I kinda like the flat black look!! :2thumbs:
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #217 on: November 17, 2008 - 06:05:32 PM »
Wrap that thing up & ship it to Fishin in Ohio along with a blank check.... give him a deadline of July 6....fly out & drive on to Carlisle for the show then drive her home....probably come out $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ahead.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008 - 06:57:19 AM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2008 - 11:20:43 PM »
if you're willing , I can paint it for you,my guy can pick up the car, and drop it off when I'm done, can update on the progress every day till finished, guaranteed you will be very happy,

here is a pic of the last project I've done, I know, it's not a mopar,but

and here is a link to the thread I made

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=51421.0

my email is elitecustombody@bellsouth.net

take care,

Stefan

Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #219 on: November 19, 2008 - 08:45:06 PM »
Thanks for the offers, think I have found the right guy to do the car, details to follow.

Latest pic, lowered the car back down, will take some in the daylight tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008 - 06:05:41 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #220 on: November 19, 2008 - 10:40:45 PM »
Lookin good! I can't wait to see it painted after you finally find someone.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #221 on: November 20, 2008 - 03:07:09 AM »
Hey Eric.............. Car sits tuff in that picture buddy :2thumbs: good luck with the rest. :bigshades:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #222 on: November 20, 2008 - 10:10:53 AM »
Awesome project.  Good luck on finding a body shop man - I'm sure it's going to be a sizable chunk of change.

I have gotten rather fed up with the whole bodyshop deal too, so I'm going to do all my own work - just like I have been doing for several years now.  I just can't afford to pay someone 8 grand to repair and paint my Challenger. :(
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2008 - 05:38:58 PM »
Car is off to the body shop tomorrow. I'll have some pics but may not be able to post them till Sunday.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: ntstlgl - 70 Barracuda restomoderfercation - 12/5 - Off to Body Shop Tomorrow.
« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2008 - 06:18:54 PM »
Looking forward to it yet again, fingers crossed this time will workout for the better :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.