Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip

Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191362 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda restomoderfercation 12/6 - now in for bodywork/paint
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2008 - 01:08:23 AM »
yeah I painted up that body with some of the actual paint to get a feel for how the color scheme would work. 70 AAR bodies are from HPI racing, under 30 bucks.. http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17510/
I bought 2, the painter has the one I didn't paint, I told him if he wants to try some different schemes out on it to go ahead.

Even found some wheels that are simlar to mine to mock up.
I'm not sold on this charcoal color totally, going to wait until we shoot a larger test panel.

Thought it would be cool to give him the one I painted up just to make sure he has an idea of what I am looking for.

Sorry it's a crappy cell phone pic but you get the idea.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda restomoderfercation 12/6 - now in for bodywork/paint
« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2008 - 09:49:13 PM »
I was able to finish the lions share of the engine wiring stuff today. Up to the point of running the system and having it cycle the fuel pump (using just a lamp for mockup). I have two lamps to simulate the two injector banks and the red lamp to let me know if the inertia switch has gone open. The trigger wheel came in as well. All I have left to do is make a stand for the spark plugs and make some plug wires. Have the crank sensor setup on a 5 foot lead that is shielded so I can run everything on the board with the crank sensor and trigger on the drill press. Got the mass air sensor back from a friend who was using it to mock up some stuff. It's off a 460 also. I have not determined if I want to run both the MAF and the MAP sensors (Megasquirt has a "blend" option to use both inputs). I'm planning to pickup the steel for the run in stand tomorrow or tuesday maybe.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda restomoderfercation 12/21 -some updates
« Reply #242 on: December 22, 2008 - 07:45:53 AM »
I must have missed it sorry to ask but what motor are you using.

Looks like a neat projrct.  :2thumbs:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline DmanSRT69

• Diggin' holes is fun
Did you make or buy that rotisserie?    Looks like a decent setup and I would like to pick one up eventually.....

Thanks
Darren

Dropped the car off, everything sounds good so far. The painter estimated late february for completion. He doesn't have any other completes in front of me and doesn't do any collision work so I think I am good to go. Here is a pic of the car sitting in the shop. Also took some pics of a car my buddy is working on. Barely anything left of it so much was rotted away. Look at all the new metal. Makes my car look like it was in a ziplock for 38 years.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #244 on: January 11, 2009 - 02:07:35 AM »
Did you make or buy that rotisserie?    Looks like a decent setup and I would like to pick one up eventually.....

Thanks
Darren

Buddy of mine bought it as a kit, made a couple of modifications, I'll ask him where he got it on monday.

Update: "The (rotisserie) kit came from www.uscartool.com but finding the basic kit on their web site can be tricky. They don't have a picture of it there, but they can send you a picture and parts list for the kit".

DodgeBoys: It's a 440
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 - 02:23:51 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #245 on: January 11, 2009 - 02:12:32 AM »
Got the megasquirt and the EDIS up and running. Tested at cranking (300) and cruise RPM. Works great so far. So I know that it will work in the car and all the pieces work together. The tach is hooked up and the system is running at 3600 RPM off the crank sensor and trigger wheel in the drill press. The EDIS module and the neon coils seem to work fine together. Next step will be packaging it on the engine and building the run in stand. Talked to the painter Friday. He's thinking he'll be done in 2-3 weeks (!) So I need to kick some butt and get everything else done before it comes home. Almost ready to buy the second paint color. When I was at the paint store talking to the owner, we talked about who is painting the car, he said that he has never seen this guy do a bad job so I'm feeling good about everything...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 - 12:48:02 AM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda restomoderfercation 1/10 - some updates
« Reply #246 on: January 11, 2009 - 10:00:30 AM »
Awesome progress!  Might I ask why you are going to use a Mass Airflow meter instead of going speed/density (MAP)??  One good backfire through the intake and there goes that MAF, you know?  Well, maybe I should say one good "nitrous backfire". LOL.

Either way, it will work - and congrats on the progress!
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2009 - 02:41:31 PM »
Here is my megasquirt that runs my engine stand. I have EDIS but haven't been able to install a bracket that will hold my 36-1 trigger wheel and still allow me to rum my 4 pulley setup. If I mount it underneath the pulleys then it will space everything out by a little over 1/4 inch, so all of my accessories would have to modified. Right now it controls my spark and timing but would rather use the EDIS to control it due to it's limp home 10 degree advance mode. This way I can throw an extra EDIS-8 module in the glove box as a spare and I wont have to worry about the Megasquirt handling my coil.

Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #248 on: January 11, 2009 - 07:16:50 PM »
diyautotune.com has trigger wheels that are about 1/8" thick. That's what I am using. Also they make ones in larger diameters (8"?). Originally I thought about mounting the trigger wheel to the outside of the pulley body (making the id of the trigger wheel 4" or whatever the od of the cup section of the pulley is) to work around that problem.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #249 on: January 11, 2009 - 09:15:38 PM »
...Might I ask why you are going to use a Mass Airflow meter instead of going speed/density (MAP)??  One good backfire through the intake and there goes that MAF, you know? ...
I was thinking that I could use the MAF but I'm not completely sold on it yet. I'll probably use the internal MAP sensor to get everything running and if I can't get the idle good enough, I might hook up the MAF sensor. The cam in the motor only pulls about 9"hg@idle, so it might be a challenge to get the idle right using the MAP sensor.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #250 on: January 11, 2009 - 11:12:45 PM »
diyautotune.com has trigger wheels that are about 1/8" thick. That's what I am using. Also they make ones in larger diameters (8"?). Originally I thought about mounting the trigger wheel to the outside of the pulley body (making the id of the trigger wheel 4" or whatever the od of the cup section of the pulley is) to work around that problem.

I looked the that 8" wheel but if you look at the stock harmonic balancer, right outside of the bolt holes, there is a raised ring that the trigger wheel would also have to sit in front of. A friend of mine mounted his wheel ahead of the pulleys on a long machined spacer but he was only running 2 pulleys. With my 4 pulleys, I'm afraid that throwing a belt with take out my pickup bracket, then not have a signal at all. Let me know if you can turn down the stock ring to fit around your lower pulley. I wanted to do the same thing but don't have the lathe to do it. I'll pay you to turn mine down.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2009 - 12:49:59 AM »
I've got to get the trigger wheel thing sorted out soon so I'll post what I end up doing. I don't have a lathe myself.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2009 - 01:05:53 AM »
had a good day today. The wrecking yard had the connectors I was missing for my MAF, TPS and the O2 sensors I'm going to run. Also found a fuse/relay box out of an explorer that I'm going to use for my car. Picked up some steel to build the engine run in stand. I pretty much mimicked the layout of my engine stand except I used some casters I had left over from my tool box. Got pretty far building it up. Still need to attach the stands for the motor mounts and triangulate it. My torque converter arrived for the 47RE just in time. Maybe I can have enough together by this weekend to where I can prime the engine/oiling system. I think that would be a great accomplishment. Hope to get more done wednesday.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009 - 11:15:26 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda restomoderfercation 1/19 - some updates
« Reply #253 on: January 20, 2009 - 10:11:27 PM »
Let me tell you now, before you get any farther, that your stand is way too small. You'll find that out when you start adding stuff, like the radiator and battery mount. I built mine small enought to hold everything but can still be extended if I want to hang the trans too. Mine is on casters too. I suggest now that you start with some bigger ones. Maybe install some large ones like "the bone" Creeper, that go up and in, if you want it low.  All of the weight makes it hard to roll by myself.
Rob
Rob

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda restomoderfercation 1/19 - some updates
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2009 - 02:23:06 PM »
The casters are off of my toolbox that weighs 2x what the engine and transmission weigh together, they should work out fine. I haven't added on the section for the trans. I want to make it so that the trans portion is removable. The main reason for the shape in the front is so that the engine hoist will be able to pickup the assembly when it's time to put it in the car etc. I know there is a lot left to do, but it's a start.

Went and checked on the car today, it's looking good. I think the painter and I have come to an agreement on how we are going to do the stripes. I'll post more later once things start happening. Friend of mine at work let me borrow his engine hoist. If I can get in to work early tomorrow maybe I'll make some more progress on the stand. Since I got home late today, just did some wiring and got the electrical portion of the gauges for the engine stand wired/powered up. Also got most of my wiring diagrams today so I can sort out a complete harness. What a cluster! I've got stuff from: 90 Ford F250, 96 Ford E350, 92 Ford Crown Victoria, 98 Neon, 97 Ranger, 99 Chrysler LHS, 98 Ram 3500 Diesel not to mention a u build it engine controller and some italian injectors.
Fun!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009 - 11:12:57 PM by ntstlgl1970 »