Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191352 times)

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda restomoderfercation 3/29 - some updates
« Reply #300 on: April 07, 2009 - 06:20:23 PM »
One more thing to think about.  WATER.  Where will it go, how much will collect there and what will happen once it reaches the coils?  I definitely commend you on thinking outside the box, but this might give you a little more headache than it's worth later on down the road.   
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #301 on: April 07, 2009 - 06:55:59 PM »
Good point, I hadn't considered where water would go. I'll have to think about that one.
doh!
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #302 on: April 20, 2009 - 04:53:26 PM »
I got a lot of work done on the valley pan over the weekend. Still more to be done but it fits at least. What a pain in the ... I need to clean up the welds some but nothing major. Anyway thinking about what Tubbed440 was saying about water collection in the valley, I can honestly say the only time I ever noticed water in a stock valley pan was when I purposely filled by buddies 383 when we steam cleaned the engine. I really don't think it will be a problem (If I get 3 inches of water, oil, ATF or whatever in there - I think I will have bigger problems than just the coil shorting out). I started fitting the upper plenum to the lower just trying to figure out where things will go. It's starting to take shape. Of course, you get on a roll and run out of welding gas. Oh well. I'm going on a short trip at the end of the week anyway so it will have to wait until I get back.
Talked to the painter today, he says that the car will be back from the prep place (long story) wednesday and will be ready to shoot. I'll believe it when I see it. It's somewhat encouraging though!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009 - 04:55:32 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #303 on: May 07, 2009 - 01:08:49 PM »
went to see the car yesterday, it's all one color now. It's looking good. They did a good job on the engine compartment. I have to bring down all the extra parts to be painted (dash frame, brackets, plastic trim etc.) lots of work to do.
He thinks he will start shooting color next week, so maybe it will be done by the end of the month.

Offline Travis72

Nice!  I bet you can't wait.   Mine is getting close as well.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
 :clapping: great progress Eric......... Looks as if this painter is coming through for you after the knock backs and empty promises from the other paint shops, this is working out fantastic, and really coming together :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
Body lines look nice and strait. Won't be long now!  :drool:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
That's a good straight car you got there.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Thanks for the comments - I'm pretty excited, but not as excited as I will be once there is some color on the thing.
I'm heading down there again today to drop off some parts. I have a list of stuff to talk to him about.....
Changed the title to the thread - guess you could call this a tribute car. I'm sure people won't like what we are going to do to the stripe - but it's my car so I don't care
 :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 - 02:49:58 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda AAR "Tribute" 5/7 - some updates -it's grey now
« Reply #309 on: May 11, 2009 - 05:39:29 PM »
Yep, it's your car, so do to it what makes you happy.  It's so sad to see people change their build or do something to their ride because someone on an internet forum said that they didn't like it.  For me, as long as it's not safety related, I'm not changing anything unless I want too.  :grinyes:

Great project you have here, as I'm sure I have said before.  I can't wait to see this one done and riding down the road.  :thumbsup:
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline BacardiCBR

« Reply #310 on: May 11, 2009 - 05:51:01 PM »
Great progress, the car looks great!  I know you're excited.  I built an AAR Tribute Car and modded the stripe (along with several other things) and I wouldn't change it for anything  :grinno:

You may have posted, but what are you thinking in terms of colors and stripe design?
'70 AAR Tribute Car

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #311 on: May 12, 2009 - 03:46:47 AM »
 :iagree: you got me interested to know what you have in mind with the overall concept now :dogpile:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #312 on: May 12, 2009 - 10:26:56 AM »
BacardiCBR - it will be blue with the normally blacked out area in a gunmetal color. I have to admit when I first saw your car I was bummed because I thought it was the same color combo I was thinking of.
Kenny - the stripe is/was going to be gray, but the painter and I are talking about some airbrush artwork inside the stripe with a candy over it and maybe a grey outline for all the segments. Still thinking about artwork. I know the "fish skeleton" thing has been done before but I am thinking of something else being it's a "tribute" car.
Went and saw the car again yesterday, took some pictures of the chopper parked next to it for one of the members who asked. Steve (the painter) said that he plans to shoot the engine compartment thursday, so I should have some pictures with color by the weekend maybe.
 :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009 - 10:32:52 AM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline PlumCrazyChris

• Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
« Reply #313 on: May 26, 2009 - 05:34:42 PM »
Wow, really great job on your project.  I love the fact that your using the MegaSquirt FI.  I had planned on that, but will end up using the factory Mopar computer....I think.  We'll see if they can really tune it. 

How about ghost flames inside the AAR stripes so it looks like they are continuous inside the door/quarter panel...  That would look pretty cool.

I know you'll come up with something.  What are you going to do for the interior?  Stock?

Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup: :popcorn:

Chris
PlumCrazyChris
Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
Round Rock Tx
70 Challenger 5.7, A518, A/C
70 Challenger 340 convertible (Gone to Sweden)
68 Barracuda (sold it too)
www.mopar.org

Offline AARudy

• 1970 4-speed AAR---71 Cuda conv----70 Chall 440-6
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda restomoderfercation 3/6 - some updates
« Reply #314 on: May 26, 2009 - 11:46:46 PM »
[quote author=ntstlgl1970 link=topic=37642.msg582583#msg582583 date=1237934104

Red means weld it up, including the blower motor hole though it isn't marked in these images.

kinda looks like some weird christmas card...
[/quote]

Check out my friends crazy 70 HEMI Cuda project...he welded up everything in the engine compartment similar to what you are doing... the body was even cut and slammed 4 inches (by cutting out the entire floor)....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009 - 08:20:26 AM by AARudy »