Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191349 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda AAR "Tribute" 5/7 - some updates -it's grey now
« Reply #315 on: May 27, 2009 - 01:08:53 AM »
Supposedly he is/was shooting the car today, I'm going to try and head down tomorrow and see it. He said he would shoot it all blue then do the gunmetal color. The stripe thing is perplexing me, can't figure out what to do with it. I'll probably tell him to do whatever he wants as long as it isn't skulls in there - just not my thing. He'll be into that. I was all set to do the car as one color originally but I think the blue I am using is "too much" as a single color on this car. I'll find out tomorrow. Have to swap the torsion bars out for Stroker too. Getting the timing with the body shop down is a real pain some times....

Chris - The Megasquirt was planned from early on. On the interior, I think it will be stock styling with updated materials. One thing I know I am going to do is make a center console that flows from the dashboard with some stock styling cues.

AARudy - nice car, will be cool when it is done.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #316 on: May 27, 2009 - 03:16:46 AM »
Hey Eric, i have an idea for your AAR strobe stripe.  Same color as the Blue section and what if you did multiple sizes and layered Pentastars through out the entire stripe like ghosting, it would look real trick and has not been done before to my knowledge, skulls and flames this way have been done to death and the fish bones have also been done.  Just thought i would through this out their as it would not be too hard for him to make a paint mask up for the Pentastar pattern :dunno: maybe :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #317 on: May 27, 2009 - 03:53:40 PM »
The painter and I still have to talk this over so I'll think about that suggestion as well. He is an airbrush guy so he wants to do something pretty "creative"
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #318 on: May 27, 2009 - 05:44:42 PM »
Hey Eric, if you take him a picture of the Pentastar, make sure it is one that has all the detail and not the plain one, he will like the detailed Pentastar beter than the plain Pentastar if he likes to get creative then :2thumbs: and multiple sizes and layered would look real trick.........
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #319 on: May 27, 2009 - 11:39:40 PM »
I can't wait to see some color  :drool: Im sure what ever you decide it will look sweet.
The stripe thing is perplexing me, can't figure out what to do with it. I'll probably tell him to do whatever he wants as long as it isn't skulls in there
Just make sure its somthing YOU like not just because the painter says it will be cool!
Remember Foose wanted Sick fish to be three-tone and Joe wanted just silver. Wow how do you tell Foose you don't like his ideas!
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda AAR "Tribute" 5/7 - some updates -it's BLUE now
« Reply #320 on: May 28, 2009 - 11:57:41 PM »
So - my blue paint was bad. No matter what the paint store says (different from the one I use now) unactivated paints CAN go bad. My bad - I didn't mention how long the paint had been sitting (4 years -oops) So I had to run to the paint store, then drive to the painter to drop it off.

Sucks.

Anyway, here is the first pics of the car in the blue color (though dull from color sanding) and a couple of the engine compartment where you can get a feel for the color. He still needs to shoot and color sand maybe another time or two before the gunmetal color, stripe and then clear

I like it!

First pic shows my wonderful curdled paint in the can after being mixed with the reactive reducer. Painter tried different reducers that he had shot within the last week that worked with the same results - curdled paint in the mixing cup.

The rest is all good stuff!

Last pic shows some stripe effect (not styling of course) that we were thinking of. I decided not to go this route, though it makes the car "pop" in a big way. Hope to have some good news on the stripe shortly.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009 - 12:14:13 AM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #321 on: May 29, 2009 - 12:12:28 AM »
Oops - pic of the stripe was picture #11

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #322 on: May 29, 2009 - 01:58:53 AM »
nice color  :drool:      that stripe material looks way cool, I `d love to see that on the blue  :woohoo:
*** Bart ***

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #323 on: May 29, 2009 - 02:32:22 AM »
I really like the effect the prism makes, looks like there are lights in the paint. Just decided it would not fit in with what I am thinking...

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #324 on: May 29, 2009 - 02:47:01 AM »
I guess that means it will become even better....  :woo:
*** Bart ***

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #325 on: May 29, 2009 - 07:44:06 AM »
Oooo...teaser pic with the stripe!  Can't wait to see the whole car finished!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #326 on: May 29, 2009 - 03:53:52 PM »
Me too, should be more pics coming "tomorrow" (you never know with a body shop)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: ntstlgl 70 Barracuda AAR "Tribute" 5/30 - some updates -it's BLUE now
« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2009 - 02:27:36 AM »
getting closer.............

:ylsuper:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009 - 02:32:40 AM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #328 on: May 31, 2009 - 11:21:52 AM »
Oh yea!  :drool: :popcorn: are you sleeping at night?  :jumping:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2009 - 11:41:02 AM »
not really. I have not been sleeping well

When we were down there yesterday, we pulled the stripe stencils out of the box for the first time.
I think he thought it was a solid stripe, oops.
Anyway we laid some of it out on the car and just have to figure out the measurements for the stencil.
Also he laid down almost all the blue paint I brought and there are a couple of parts without color on them yet, so I hope he doesn't run out of the blue color - otherwise I'll be making another trip to the paint store and then worring about color differences
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009 - 04:33:07 PM by ntstlgl1970 »