Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip

Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191394 times)

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
Re: Little bit more progress 8/5
« Reply #525 on: August 06, 2010 - 09:30:02 PM »
Put some carbon fiber on top of that thing - that would look hot.  :thumbsup:
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #526 on: August 10, 2010 - 11:01:01 AM »
Might - "might" be able to start it up today. Next steps are adding gas and doing some last little odds and ends. It won't be driveable, but it should be able to run....

70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #527 on: August 10, 2010 - 05:16:37 PM »
Might - "might" be able to start it up today. Next steps are adding gas and doing some last little odds and ends. It won't be driveable, but it should be able to run....

Good Luck.  I always crank with a mini starter and have all of the plugs out to lock down the timing. I also hand crank the oil pump with a speed wrench before dropping the distro in. If I have multiple spings for the valves, I take out one of them.  You only have one chance to break in a cam so I always make it a good one.

Is a WB-O2 one of the blas, in that list of bla  bla, blas?
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Today may be the day
« Reply #528 on: August 11, 2010 - 07:22:52 PM »
I didn't change any of the engine components internally so I would know how the engine should run compared to the carb setup with the cam being the same. I verified the base timing a couple of weeks ago so it should be close enough to start it. The oil pressure is good. I have an Innovate XD-16/LC-1 on the driver's bank. Had some problems with my MS, have to sort that out. Maybe by the weekend it will be running  :-\
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010 - 07:26:19 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #529 on: August 14, 2010 - 09:48:16 AM »
Good luck man.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!  :burnout:
74 Dodge Challenger
(work in progress)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #530 on: August 17, 2010 - 01:25:30 PM »
After 7 very frustrating  days, I finally got the car running this morning. Previously, I had the engine control system (MS-II) mocked up on the workbench, driven by a trigger wheel on the drill press - ignition, injectors, everything worked fine. Somewhere between the time I had the system running on the bench and getting  it all installed in the car, I damaged the control unit. It would cycle the fuel pump with the ignition for a while and then it stopped doing even that. I spent a bunch of time tracing circuits, checking grounds and reinstalling software but it still wouldn't work. Everything pointed back to the processor in the control unit. I decided to order a new one (MS-III) and repair the old one later. An extra surprise is that the new controller uses a newer tuning program - one that was not compatible with my old laptop. UGH! I ended up having to get a new laptop as well. Last week was an expensive week! Once the new one engine controller arrived, I spent some more time double and triple checking the wiring to confirm it was correct (it was). I set some base fuel requirements, installed the controller, set the fuel pressure and the car started almost immediately…..then died. I had the parameters set too rich and it took me a while to sort out the changes needed to lean it out since the old software and new software functionality is different. Of course I fouled the plugs and had to change those too, at least I had spares on hand. Last night I had it real close to running on it's own but ran out of time. When I woke up this morning, something clicked - went out to the garage at 7am, made a couple of adjustments and within 5 minutes it was idling on it's own. I do not have the alternator, water pump and radiator in the car so I can't run it for very long. I wanted to make sure it was all going to work before installing the radiator. I didn’t have a video camera with me at the time but I did get a picture of the gauges registering oil and fuel pressure.
I'll have pics and video after work tonight....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010 - 01:28:49 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline rtgambit

• Member since March 31, 2003
Re: 8/17 POS finally runs!
« Reply #531 on: August 17, 2010 - 11:40:32 PM »
Awesome! Can't wait for the video!  :thumbsup:
Matthew
1967 Dodge Dart GT
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2014 Ram 1500

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: 8/17 POS finally runs!
« Reply #532 on: August 18, 2010 - 02:40:39 AM »
Here is a video, the car stalls after the warm up enrichment times out, plus added useless commentary for free!

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
Re: 8/17 POS finally runs! Now with video and sound
« Reply #533 on: August 18, 2010 - 12:55:02 PM »
Congrats man!  Good to hear it run!   :thumbsup:  You'll get that enrichment thing figured out in no time.  :biggrin:
74 Dodge Challenger
(work in progress)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #534 on: August 18, 2010 - 02:31:06 PM »
here is one more....better quality too...

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #535 on: August 19, 2010 - 10:18:06 PM »
Awesome...  Good work!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #536 on: August 20, 2010 - 03:08:37 AM »
nice work  :2thumbs:    how does it response to the throttle?  I`d love to hear it bark...  :popcorn: :burnout:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010 - 03:12:42 AM by dutch »
*** Bart ***

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #537 on: August 20, 2010 - 10:47:25 AM »
I haven't done anything other than tune the idle. Without the idle air motor hooked up, I've had to set the idle speed by shimming the throttle body with the tps on it. Since I don't have the two throttles hooked together and only the passenger side throttle has the tps on it, opening the one side makes that bank lean. (the pass side header paint is light grey while the driver's side it dark grey still) Trying to blip the throttle one on side will just drive that bank super lean and I don't want to influence the fuel tables too much before getting both throttles in sync. Especially since I am still learning to use this new software. Once I do get them hooked up, I'll do a better vid.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #538 on: August 20, 2010 - 02:47:03 PM »
"IT'S ALIVE!!!!" He says in his best Frankenstein voice!  :biggrin: :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #539 on: August 24, 2010 - 05:10:26 PM »
So I went to start it last night and prior to starting it, I noticed a fuel smell. Have to admit that I smelled fuel from the first time I put gas in the tank but I chalked that up to having a vented gas cap. In short, my fuel pump failed. It's leaking gas out the positive terminal where the power wire hooks up. NICE! At least it didn't happen while I was driving it somewhere  :misbehaving:
So I'll call aeromotive and see if they can do anything for me. Of course the pump is out of warranty because I bought it a couple of years ago. So about 2 hours of running and dead. I haven't even got the cold start dialed in yet.

Not impressed  :villagers:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010 - 05:12:24 PM by ntstlgl1970 »