Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191418 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Finally drove it tonight!
« Reply #615 on: February 23, 2012 - 02:48:12 AM »
I have to admit, I'm glad I had a converter built for the car, well worth the investment. I've got about 200 miles on the car now, it cruises pretty nicely on the freeway. I started in a new position at work that's taking up a lot of my extra time, I've got to start tying up loose ends to make the ohlone (mopar alley) show. I'll be there no matter what, but I want to have as much completed as possible. I'll add some pictures tomorrow....
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #616 on: February 23, 2012 - 03:18:17 AM »
 :woo: ........... :bananasmi :woohoo: :bananasmi ............ :woo:
That is awesome :2thumbs: you are really close now buddy :grinyes: been looking forward to the finish ride, definitely a stand out car :money:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #617 on: March 01, 2012 - 03:47:54 PM »
:woo: ........... :bananasmi :woohoo: :bananasmi ............ :woo:
That is awesome :2thumbs: you are really close now buddy :grinyes: been looking forward to the finish ride, definitely a stand out car :money:

Thanks Ken,

I spent a bunch of time getting the dynamat and heatshield stuff under the carpet and between the exhaust and the floor on the underside. I like how the interior is coming along so far. I still have a lot to do, I'll post up some pics of my slapstik to overdrive shifter solution next.

70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #618 on: March 01, 2012 - 03:53:53 PM »
I guess I was bored one day and spent about 4 hours messing with this shifter. I knew I wanted to use a slap stik for a shifter but I can't use the stock linkage because of the case differences between the 727 and the 47RE. I ended up changing the shifter so that there is a direct linkage between the shifter and the shift arm on the trans. I ended up making this frame to mount the shifter, then I had to figure out how to seal the opening through the floor. I ended up using some roller bearings and parts from another slap stik housing to seal the shift arm. I also ended up taking the shift mechanism apart to tighten it up.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012 - 10:08:17 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
Re: Some interior updates
« Reply #619 on: March 01, 2012 - 07:36:03 PM »
That is way cool :2thumbs: , what a fantastic idea buddy :clapping: no fumes coming through now you did that mod :bananasmi
I love seeing the progress on your car :wave:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #620 on: March 03, 2012 - 08:51:15 PM »
Drove the car to work a couple of weeks ago, I think I need to face reality - I can't drive the thing this low. I really like how it looks and all, but there is not much suspension travel. I removed a couple of leaves from my super stock springs (2 on the PS and one on the DS), removed my lowering blocks and installed some new QA1 shocks. I'm hoping it will drive a little nicer. I hope that this will hold me over until I get some new springs for the back. I changed my mind on so much stuff since I first took my car apart so many years ago. I don't care about the drag race stuff as much as I used to.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #621 on: March 04, 2012 - 01:59:52 AM »
Took it out for a test drive - man those stupid urethane leaf spring bushings are noisy. Also I've got a clunk coming from the rear shocks I need to sort out. the video is 37mb so it's not dial up friendly

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Shot another video
« Reply #622 on: March 04, 2012 - 08:34:28 AM »
great sound  :2thumbs:  did you grease up the leaf spring bushings real good?
*** Bart ***

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #623 on: March 04, 2012 - 12:00:25 PM »
great sound  :2thumbs:  did you grease up the leaf spring bushings real good?
No, that is on the list for today. I disassembled the leaf spring pack with the springs in the car so I didnt have the shackles off to grease them (I don't have urethane in the spring eye). Also I removed all the spring clamps and I think that the nose of the differential is going negative on decel without the clamps (I get some vibration) so I need to reclamp the front of the springs as well. With the amount of arch the SS springs have, the drivers side is hard to get apart without a prybar. Since I don't want to scratch the paint, I need to take the rear valence off, but to do that I have to remove the bumper. I wasn't up for that yesterday. I hope to get some more stuff done and make another video during the daylight.  :working:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #624 on: March 04, 2012 - 10:51:57 PM »
great sound  :2thumbs: 
:iagree: Great sound, real mellow and deep. would love to hear it when you are really standing on it :burnout: :bigsmile:
Looks like you have not put any Black decal on the top surface of your turn indicators yet either buddy, were you planning on doing that at some stage ? Looks unreal cruising around with no hood, it even looks like you do not have your head lights on in the video, i am glad you were driving, as i could not see a thing from where i was sitting. :roflsmiley:
Awesome how close you are now though :2thumbs: good luck with sorting out the springs buddy :wave:

Offline usraptr

« Reply #625 on: March 07, 2012 - 07:37:40 PM »
Great sounds!!  :2thumbs:  What kind of exhaust system/mufflers are you running?
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #626 on: March 08, 2012 - 12:18:24 AM »
Great sounds!!  :2thumbs:  What kind of exhaust system/mufflers are you running?
It's all homebuilt with magnaflow mufflers

Offline usraptr

« Reply #627 on: March 09, 2012 - 02:26:23 PM »
 Thanks!  :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #628 on: March 11, 2012 - 04:00:20 PM »
Well, I'm at the point where I need to figure out what to do about an air filter and how to get the hood on the car. So I had to grow a pair and cut the throttle body, then I have to pull the intake off the car and cut that to match. It really pisses me off that I have to do this in the first place after spending so much money on these parts. The whole flange area I have to cut off serves almost no purpose.  I should know better by now but sometimes its really aggravating to own a mopar. I also bought this adapter so I could put a cone style filter on my mass air sensor- that didn't fit either. Aftermarket parts, it just never ends. So another couple of days and tens of hours down the drain.

Offline Travis72

Re: Break out the band saw and grow a pair....
« Reply #629 on: March 11, 2012 - 10:38:12 PM »
First the car looks fantastic.  It's too bad you have to cut the throttle body down to make the hood fit.  I know all about 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards.

What's your ride height set at, measuring from the ground to the top of the front fender wheel opening?

Travis
72 Cuda