Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191463 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
You sure seem to be getting the work done. Way to go!!!  :2thumbs:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Having the roof replaced on the house sure has kept me from working on the car. Now it is raining, yuck. Hopefully I can get back on this when I return from the SEMA show, not much free time between now and then.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
Great looking car!!! My arms are getting tired just looking at the pictures!  :rofl:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: My Adventure- 70 Barracuda (this ever happen to you?) -many pics -Update 9/30
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2008 - 05:48:01 PM »
Having the roof replaced on the house sure has kept me from working on the car. Now it is raining, yuck. Hopefully I can get back on this when I return from the SEMA show, not much free time between now and then.
I can't believe it's been this long since I've been able to work on it. All this rain (not the only reason) sucks - are you with me Topcat?  :)
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear
Very nice work there , i will soon grind off the paint on my car to. Nice machine the National Detroit DA900 . Think i have to get me one.
Good luck and keep the pics coming :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
I can't believe it's been this long since I've been able to work on it. All this rain (not the only reason) sucks - are you with me Topcat?  :)

Yeah It looks like we are finally starting to see spring out here starting. We have some nice weather this week end so off I go to get going again on mime. You're getting so close to getting it done. Keep going. you're doing a great job.  :2thumbs:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Finally had a chance to get some work done. Had watched guys on various shows do this so I thought I would try it....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008 - 01:41:24 AM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
The trunk lid gaps are too big on my car I think, so I thought that today I would do something about it...by welding some 3/16 rod to the edge to make the lid a bit bigger. It helped close the gaps up a bunch! I had about 1/4 on each side and 3/8 between the filler panel and the front of the lid. I still have to finish welding and grinding tomorrow, but it's lookin good!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008 - 08:46:36 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
more of what I did today until I ran out of tri-mix for the mig...the marks on the trunk lid are spots I need to hit one more time to close up the gaps between the wire and the trunk edge

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
Looks like a great job welding the edge like that to close up the trunk lid gap. Keep the pictures coming! :wow:

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
I have about 7 hours into it right now, since you can't just run a continous bead, it takes forever to tack weld the whole edge. Hope to get some more done tomorrow.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
looking great!

do you have pics from the inside of the trunk lid?  welded all the way too?
I have gap problems with the doors in my car, might just be the way to tackle the problem. There is no way I will be able to get other doors overhere... :eek4:
great work, keep it coming  :thumbsup:
Bart
*** Bart ***

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
I only welded every  4-5 inches on the  inside of the trunk lid. When I get the topside where I want it, I'm going to use sealer around the edge like the factory did, no one will know, except for members here. If you look through my entries on this thread, I had a bunch of problems with my driver's door. If I could offer some advice:
1st - replace or rebuild the door hinges/pins before doing any fitting of the door(s) to the body
2nd - buy a long (like 4 foot long) straightedge
3rd - start from the rear where the door meets the quarter panel and work your way forward.
4th - don't expect the fit to  be that good on all gaps - the cars weren't perfect to begin with - I still have some gaps that will need work on the driver's door
5th - take your time

:bigsmile:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: ntstlgl - 70 Barracuda restification -many pics - Update 4/2! kinda
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2008 - 01:24:38 PM »
back to the future!

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: ntstlgl - 70 Barracuda restification -many pics - Update 4/2! kinda
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2008 - 01:25:57 PM »
Reposting pics that were lost in the server crash/changeover, the areas outlined with the sharpie are low in relation to the rest of the opening in the body, which actually was a result of the filler (dutchman) panel being welded in incorrectly at the factory. My choices were to cut the panel out and reweld it or make the trunk lid fit the opening. I chose to make the lid fit. I'm not building a show car.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008 - 12:46:43 AM by ntstlgl1970 »