Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191430 times)

Offline Grancoupe

Re: ntstlgl - 70 Barracuda resterfercation - Update 4/11
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2008 - 10:12:00 AM »
learning a lot from this thread

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: ntstlgl - 70 Barracuda resterfercation - Update 4/11
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2008 - 02:47:52 PM »
Ok, 2nd pass. I think I have the pinholes taken care of, there are a couple of sanding scratches I missed. Think I am going to take a break from the trunk lid for a while and work on something else. It's beginning to aggravate me. I think I'll work on welding in the subframe connectors.

learning a lot from this thread
I think I am learning that I suck at bodywork  :pullinghair:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008 - 02:51:10 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
Re: ntstlgl - 70 Barracuda resterfercation - Repetitive Update 4/14
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2008 - 04:12:32 PM »
I think we're all learning that bodywork is as much an art as a skill.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2008 - 04:38:32 PM »
I'm going to keep trying, but I need to step away from this for a little while and work on other things. I have some friends that are in the business that I need to bug for their input
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2008 - 07:39:53 PM »
Your progress is great. :woo:

Let us know how you go with bugging your buddies old mate. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2008 - 01:49:16 AM »
I'm right there with you.... I don't know how many times I've sanded the same spots over and over.  Then every time I shoot primer on I see a bunch more flaws.  I think having the eye and feel for the various defects before you apply even primer is what really sets apart a pro from a amateur.   :-\

There are two trains of thought in regards to keeping your sanity while doing body work.  1) That you keep working the same spot (e.g. the decklid) until it's complete to give yourself a sense of accomplishment.  Or 2) Keep moving around so you don't drive yourself crazy on the one spot.    :banghead: 

I did the moving around a lot, trying to get both doors and 1 quarter done and it's tough because you don't feel like you're getting anywhere.  The one good thing about moving around a lot is that I could apply filler to multiple spots and sand one while the other spots where drying, etc.

Hang in there... just keep reminding yourself how sweet the car is going to be when you're done!!!!

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2008 - 12:59:16 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. Looks like I'm busy for the next 4 weekends so I'll only be able to do small steps during the week. Thinking I might start working earlier hours to get me home earlier while there is more sunlight. I'll get there, it's that I am getting impatient.

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2008 - 10:23:45 PM »
How far did you go preping the trunk lid before painting it? i have seen on TV that they wet sand with really fine sandpaper prior to painting. How fine did you go and still end up with scratch marks? I'm not judging your working. Just trying to gain knowledge without the pain. What is the last grit to be used prior to paint. 1000 or 2000 grit? 600?

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2008 - 12:21:03 AM »
How far did you go preping the trunk lid before painting it? i have seen on TV that they wet sand with really fine sandpaper prior to painting. How fine did you go and still end up with scratch marks? I'm not judging your working. Just trying to gain knowledge without the pain. What is the last grit to be used prior to paint. 1000 or 2000 grit? 600?
Hey GC,

If you have seen anyone Wet sand any exposed bondo using Water it will be junk.  The bondo is a sponge and will soak up water, the panels that are bare metal and have bondo must be sanded using dry paper only, wet sanding can only be done after their is a primer or sealer coat applied.  Eric has only applied a light coat of etch primer to seal the bondo and steel from the elements. :2thumbs: thats all.  Alittle bit more sanding with finer paper and using a blade putty eleminates scratches and pin holes. :drunk:

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2008 - 12:23:48 AM »
I'm sorry. I thought there was paint in there at one point. Just primer? So it is OK the wet sand after the filler primer? Like just before you are ready to paint the car?

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2008 - 12:25:35 AM »
I'm sorry. I thought there was paint in there at one point. Just primer? So it is OK the wet sand after the filler primer? Like just before you are ready to paint the car?
Exactly buddy, that is the point you will get the body work to its straightest.  Just before final color. :2thumbs:

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2008 - 01:29:57 AM »
cool thanks

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2008 - 01:32:03 AM »
Way to keep on plugging away! I have been stalled on my paint job so long that I have kind of become bummed out. So many things I could be doing like restoring the Rallye dash or polishing the vinyl top moulding or windshield/backlight mouldings.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2008 - 08:12:45 AM »
I beleive i stopped @ 320grit on most parts of my car, i could be wrong....

anyone out there, it helps to spread with something flat and stiff..  :misbehaving: anyway, i use a blocked wooden paint stick, my uncle uses a big flat peice of metal...

less work, those stupid spreaders just conform to the dents  :pullinghair:

looking good!!  :2thumbs:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline moparfreak1963

« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2008 - 04:57:40 PM »

It's looking good  :2thumbs: Don't worry about the bondo and sand mark showing on the first coat of primer. Apply a thin coat of glazing putty for the pinholes and the sanding marks will come out with more priming and more sanding with a sanding block using 180grit (dry sanding) After I apply a good coat of primer I use a can of flat black paint ( flat gray if it's a dark primer I'm using) and lighty dust the area I'm working on before sanding. As I'm blocking sanding the flat paint will show me if I have any low spots or sanding scratches. if you do add more primer and sand again. I finish dry sanding with 320grit and move to 600grit to wet sand the car before painting it. And yes sum times you need to just step away for a little bit. just my two cents hope it helps