Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191395 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Little bit more progress
« Reply #510 on: July 20, 2010 - 03:23:32 PM »
Not trying to knock your fine work but can I offer a couple of suggestions?

When on the power tour this year, we idled in traffic at least 3-1/2 of the 8 hours on day 2. It was HOT. The engine was HOT. The dipstick handle could burn your fingers.
Even though the cooling system kept my engine below 200 (I run a 192 degree thermostat) Everything under the closed hood was HOT.  I'm afraid that one or two of your coils will cook either running or after shutting of the car, then you can't just throw another one on quickly. I have a Quad-4 that kills coils but they can be changed under the head cover.

Also that EDIS controller connector "should" be water proof. but when I get stuck in a rainstorm driving 70 mph, that area is might as well be under water. Ford ALWAYS mounted those high.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Thanks for your help on that'81 fuel injected Chrysler Imperial.  All of the modules melted the potting goo out of the backs because of the heat so I just put a carb on it and sent him on his way.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Little bit more progress
« Reply #511 on: July 20, 2010 - 07:02:04 PM »
Points taken. Right now I just want to get it running and not have it look like a jumbled mess.

I was able to get the fuel tank sender installed (modified it to clear the tank sump), hooked up the vent lines on the tank, ran the 3/8" return line up to the engine, mounted the harness connector in a somewhat unobtrusive place, did some other wiring stuff. Still a couple of things that I want to clean up on the wiring before I bolt the intake on for good.

Just for fun, here are some jumbled mess pictures....

:cheers:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010 - 02:31:28 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Little bit more progress 7/26
« Reply #512 on: July 26, 2010 - 02:35:42 PM »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #513 on: July 26, 2010 - 10:44:42 PM »
Looking good. I like the bulk head connector. Whats that from? I couldn't find one I liked with enough pins. I ended up with several in line connectors and a grommet.
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #514 on: July 27, 2010 - 08:39:04 PM »
The connector is from from diyautotune.com they have a lot of efi stuff there. It's a weatherpack connector so that can be good or bad I guess.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #515 on: July 27, 2010 - 10:28:34 PM »
Eric I can't wait to hear about you got it running. This thing outta purr like a Kitty and roar like a Lion. Please do a YouTube video on the day you bring er to life.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #516 on: August 02, 2010 - 03:32:07 PM »
Mike- I will do that. I'm hoping to make some noise before my birthday in the middle of the month.

Over the last couple of days I took care of a lot of little things. Mounted the battery switch (with a support plate on the inside of the box). Pressure tested all the fuel lines I made - good thing I did, I found one of the fittings was bad and had a leak, so I replaced that one. Made the line from the return port on the regulator to the hard line of the frame. Did some small detail work on the fuel return line. Made a dummy distributor plug to keep the oil pump drive in place. Have to make some sort of hold down for it still. Checked my electrical parts, found out my IAT sensor is open, so good thing I checked it first. Got the terminals installed into the harness plug. Also ordered a new electrical oil pressure and water temp gauge so I can include them in the harness. I'm going to change the way the harness runs to the coils, I didn't like the way it came out before. Charged up the laptop and made sure all the tuning software was up to date. Got the valley pan installed -just for shelbydogg- made sure I could RnR the coil packs with the intake on just in case  :drunk: Next up I need to relocate some of my throttle body mounting holes, and put some threaded openings in the manifold for vacuum fittings and the idle air motor.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010 - 03:41:47 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #517 on: August 02, 2010 - 04:32:16 PM »
Got the valley pan installed -just for shelbydogg- made sure I could RnR the coil packs with the intake on just in case  :drunk:

LOL......   I'm glad I have you planning ahead more than you plan ahead...
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #518 on: August 02, 2010 - 05:24:06 PM »
LOL......   I'm glad I have you planning ahead more than you plan ahead...

Changing parts on the side of the road sucks, so I usually try and make stuff easy to change.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Little bit more progress 8/2
« Reply #519 on: August 03, 2010 - 01:32:32 AM »
I made the gaskets for the intake base since they are discontinued by mopar, and made the mount for the regulator and welded it on - that was fun. Tomorrow I'll weld up the throttle body mount holes that are messed up and redrill them.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #520 on: August 04, 2010 - 10:37:09 AM »

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #521 on: August 05, 2010 - 02:32:40 PM »
Got the throttle body mount holes fixed, made gaskets for them and started shaping the intake. This is the absolute worst, messiest way to lighten your engine.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010 - 02:37:01 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
Re: Little bit more progress 8/5
« Reply #522 on: August 05, 2010 - 05:26:34 PM »
Belt sander or grinding discs?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #523 on: August 05, 2010 - 05:45:23 PM »
grinding down the long welds on top if it?   I think I would mill them to the deepest point and grind from there. Might be a bit easier to get a straight line in there.
*** Bart ***

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #524 on: August 06, 2010 - 02:43:14 PM »
Belt sander or grinding discs?

I used a belt sander on the places that were easy enough to access and the die grinder on the rest. Most everything you see here was done with the die grinder. Once it gets close to the shape I want, I'll use the belt sander more, it just doesn't remove material as fast as the die grinder. (I have a small 6" disc/4"x36" belt sander)

grinding down the long welds on top if it?   I think I would mill them to the deepest point and grind from there. Might be a bit easier to get a straight line in there.

I will make a cover or some sort of plate to cover the part in the top center for a couple of reasons - mainly there isn't enough weld to work with and not break through as opposed to the end corners where there is a lot of weld material deposited. The part where the center comes together is almost a butt weld and is about the thickest I can weld with my machine without going to helium or torch preheating. Also, I warped the top center pretty bad welding it, so it would look a little goofy if everything else is pretty flat and then the rear center drops off to the back.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010 - 02:52:16 PM by ntstlgl1970 »