Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191432 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Break out the band saw and grow a pair....
« Reply #630 on: March 12, 2012 - 11:24:31 AM »
First the car looks fantastic.  It's too bad you have to cut the throttle body down to make the hood fit.  I know all about 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards.

What's your ride height set at, measuring from the ground to the top of the front fender wheel opening?

24" - I'm going to raise it to 25 I think. This is with a 245/45R17 in the front.
Travis
72 Cuda
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline edl94

• She Cuda
« Reply #631 on: March 12, 2012 - 03:58:17 PM »
WOW! All this started with an oil leak. That was one hell of a leak. You are doing an awsome job it looks great!

Offline Travis72

« Reply #632 on: March 12, 2012 - 07:09:23 PM »
Mine is about 24 1/8" on one side and 24 1/4 on the other with comparable height tires in the front (275/35/18).  I was thinking of moving mine up 1/2".  Mine has quite a bit of rake because I can't get the rear as low as I want it so I'll probably end up raising up the front of mine as well.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #633 on: March 19, 2012 - 01:18:41 PM »
I finished altering the manifold and throttle body yesterday. I hope that the hood will fit now. I'm going to try and put it on tonight. This should have given me about 3/4" more clearance. I had to alter the idle air bypass screw, cut the IAC motor, redrill and tap a new hole for the other end of IAC motor to hold it together and cut grind and sand the heck out of everything so it doesn't look too terrible.

70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline usraptr

« Reply #634 on: March 19, 2012 - 08:43:58 PM »
That's some pretty impressive machine work.   :2thumbs:  I would even begin to know how to do that.   :scared:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #635 on: March 20, 2012 - 03:12:02 PM »
Of course the hood now hits the idle air motor, so I get to cut the hood too. GREAT!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #636 on: March 20, 2012 - 06:09:36 PM »
Of course the hood now hits the idle air motor, so I get to cut the hood too. GREAT!
Just like the title of your post says.... :poopoke:
I'd cut the intake ? Take about an inch off the height , reweld , smooth down the welds then powder coat it?

Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #637 on: March 20, 2012 - 08:16:53 PM »
Just like the title of your post says.... :poopoke:
I'd cut the intake ? Take about an inch off the height , reweld , smooth down the welds then powder coat it?
After cutting off that flange, there is nowhere else to remove material from. The issue is with the downward angle of the intake at that point, the throttle body is only 1/4" or so from hitting the 90 degree water outlet I had to buy to run this intake in the first place. At least the notch I'll have to add is centered in the scoop opening as opposed to how it would have been before I cut the intake/throttle body.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #638 on: March 20, 2012 - 08:55:55 PM »
After cutting off that flange, there is nowhere else to remove material from. The issue is with the downward angle of the intake at that point, the throttle body is only 1/4" or so from hitting the 90 degree water outlet I had to buy to run this intake in the first place. At least the notch I'll have to add is centered in the scoop opening as opposed to how it would have been before I cut the intake/throttle body.

I was meaning cutting a section of the runners out. I see what you mean about the water outlet being so close. What about milling the tb flange on the inntake and/or the TB? on an angle? say 1/8 on the top angled down to zero?
Is there any room to rework the water outlet to make it lower and give you some room?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #639 on: March 21, 2012 - 06:52:18 AM »
How much do you have to lower it to get the clearance you need, there is another solution, you could always drop the K-frame down and put spacers in between the chassis and the K-frame to get extra clearance for the engine and hood issue :2thumbs: You should be able to drop it down enough with spacers without effecting any of the steering and suspension at all, some firewall holes for the column allow enough drop also, this would be the only place you may have an issue with.
Let me know if you like this idea as an easy fix. :bigsmile:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #640 on: March 21, 2012 - 04:41:21 PM »
Most of the tolerances are close enough now that to cut the intake runners would mean reworking a ton of other stuff. (and my tig machine won't weld 3/8ths aluminum reliably - I proved that when I built the former intake) I thought about lowering the engine a little, but again, so much other stuff is factored off where the engine currently lives that I would have to rework a ton of other stuff - and the trans pan is already the lowest point on the car.

I cut the hood.

It turns out that the section I took is in the scoop opening enough that if I put some mesh or something in the opening, you would never see it. This is after rough cutting it out, it will get smoothed out tonight. About a 1.5 x 4" section. The AAR scoop doesn't really "work" anyway for my application, the air intake comes from somewhere else...

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #641 on: March 21, 2012 - 06:31:08 PM »
That doesn't look so bad. (Not what I envisioned.) If you round it back to the edges it will hardly be noticable!
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #642 on: March 21, 2012 - 08:02:41 PM »
That doesn't look so bad. (Not what I envisioned.) If you round it back to the edges it will hardly be noticable!

That is what I am hoping too

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #643 on: March 22, 2012 - 01:08:09 AM »
The cutout looks ok I guess. I'll have to work on a filler of some sort soon.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #644 on: March 22, 2012 - 04:03:08 PM »
The cutout looks ok I guess. I'll have to work on a filler of some sort soon.

What if you smoothed out the cut out.  I think if you widen the cut out and transitioned the edges to the exisitng scoop, it may look ok.  You might not even notice that you cut any thing.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!