Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191474 times)

Offline Raw Untamed

Re: More pics
« Reply #705 on: September 23, 2013 - 11:32:29 PM »
I just made this pic my desktop background.  Nice job.
Joey

71 Challenger

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: More pics
« Reply #706 on: April 17, 2014 - 03:04:06 AM »
I just made this pic my desktop background.  Nice job.

Thanks!

Just got back from a 1600 mile road trip to Spring Fling in L.A. and MATS in Vegas

A couple of videos from the trip

Willow Springs Speed Festival the Thursday before Spring Fling
This video didn't get all 15 minutes converted but you can still get a good idea of how much fun it is to drive the high speed track

Here I go down the straightaway - funny how it looks like you are not going fast, but i was over 100 here...

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014 - 01:56:48 AM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip
« Reply #707 on: April 17, 2014 - 03:13:47 AM »
Didn't kill the tires either which is good...

70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #708 on: April 17, 2014 - 06:49:35 PM »
Looks like lots of fun!  :2thumbs:  Great to see you USING your car!  :clapping:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #709 on: April 17, 2014 - 11:33:55 PM »
Looks like lots of fun!  :2thumbs:  Great to see you USING your car!  :clapping:
yeah I definitely used it this trip, and it used me too. I think I spent at least 4 solid days working on it while we were in vegas. My fuel pump decided to act up leaving LA and I had to supplement it with a pickup pump just to make it home, put a big damper on having fun in vegas.....

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #710 on: April 20, 2014 - 06:02:35 PM »
I've been thinking about writing about our experience spending 12 days on the road going to spring fling and MATS. I can say that it was fun and extremely frustrating too. We got back on Monday and I have not even wanted to look at the car since.

anyway - here is the first installment of the saga

I went to spring fling last year in LA and had a good time. There were things I wanted to get done on the car prior to the show that did not happen. So this year I started getting ready about 5 weeks before the show. It's amazing how quickly those weeks went by with what only seemed to be slow progress. A few things on the list to do were to swap out the dash pad, add in the vintage air system I picked up last year and add in a bigger radiator. Some other things I wanted to do was put an in tank fuel pump to feed the main pump, fix the headliner, make a center console and a bunch of other little stuff. After talking to just dashes and finding out that the lead time for them is about 11 weeks, I had to decide if I wanted to go another year without a dash pad or use one of the plastic backed ones. I ended up using a pad from classic industries. I had previously gathered all the parts to make a 3 speaker, A/C dash pad so I had everything on-hand once the pad arrived. The pad showed up pretty quick and I got to work pulling the dash out of the car (I did the whole thing as one piece). I should have known that the pad wasn't going to fit like the OE one but that didn't phase me. There was a lot of cutting and fitting of the pad before it would go onto my dash frame and more cutting and fitting for the A/C vents would install in their places. All in all, it probably took about 15 hours of work to get the pad to the point where I could bolt it to the dash frame and have it fit and also look acceptable. Maybe at some point I will get my OE one sent to just dashes, but I have no incentive to mess with that thing again right now. With the dash out of the car, I went through and added more dynamat and heat shield insulation to the firewall along with the underside of the air intake/wiper motor area. Since I had the dash out, I thought this would be a good time to install the vintage air heat/AC unit under the dash. The instructions that come with the kit are pretty good, but like everything else, there are modifications that need to be made. I guess I am pretty used to this by now, but it still is frustrating to spend a bunch of money on something, then find out you have to re engineer part of it to make it work in your car. So the instructions tell you to drill some holes in the firewall. I spent a bunch of time welding up all the holes in the firewall before I had the car painted so the last thing I wanted to do was drill some holes in there and have random fasteners sticking through. I ended up using some angle bracket material and drilling holes through the air plenum to hang the box from the inside of the car. I could get at the fasteners through the wiper grille area to seal them from water. With that done, I decided to clean up the wiring mess that has been under the dash for the last 3 years and tidy things up with a bigger ATO style fuse box. I had used a bunch of butt and crimp connectors to hook up all the circuits. Personally, I hate using crimp connectors as they always end up failing at some point, so I cut, rerouted, soldered and heat shrunk all the connections which made me feel much better.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014 - 06:08:32 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #711 on: April 20, 2014 - 06:05:58 PM »
Sounds like you guys had a real adventure and memorable time for real :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #712 on: April 20, 2014 - 06:14:05 PM »
Sounds like you guys had a real adventure and memorable time for real :2thumbs:
Yeah we had both an adventure and a memorable time. Next year, I want to have a "fun" memorable time and not spending so much time  :working: and more time  :cheers:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #713 on: April 20, 2014 - 06:15:26 PM »
I predict a bit more straight line and drifting action in your future Eric :wave: Car is still looking amazing buddy. :clapping:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #714 on: April 20, 2014 - 06:25:10 PM »
Maybe  :2thumbs:

here is a panorama picture from the Picture Car Warehouse cruise in on Friday night in Van Nuys, they always have some cool stuff there and we got to park in the back this time
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014 - 06:27:20 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #715 on: April 20, 2014 - 06:30:52 PM »
that is a cool pic :bigsmile:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #716 on: April 20, 2014 - 11:48:30 PM »
that is a cool pic :bigsmile:
Thanks!

So back to the pre trip prep - Things were going ok, though slower than I would like. Another thing I had wanted to do was to fix the dome light - silly me had put in the headliner without running the wiring for the dome light - DOH! Working on the car every day after work and all weekend was taking it's toll on me. I wasn't sleeping well because the departure date was approaching quickly and I did not want to miss the Speed Fest at Willow Springs like last year on Thursday. I had taken the Wednesday before speed fest off so that we would not have to do a red-eye drive down to Palmdale the night before. This is when Mr. Murphy let us know that he would be coming along for the ride. I think I was changing the spark plugs when I noticed that there was a gap between the steering box and the K member. This seemed odd since I never noticed it before, but I could see the threads of one of the steering box bolts in this gap. So next thing you know, I'm pulling the steering box out of the car. Of course pulling the steering box out means dropping the steering column, pitman arm, header and the starter. This wasted a day figuring out what the issue was with the box. I had to test fit the box multiple times to confirm the issue was solved. Turns out that there was some machining leftovers that did not get removed from the box before it was painted at flaming river that kept the box from mounting flush to the k-member in one spot and another part of the casting that hit the k member where I added some reinforcement. After removing the machining flash and taking about a 1/4" of material off of one part of the casting, the box finally fit flush. This was good and bad. Good, the box is mounted solid. Bad was that the pitman arm height was changed, which changed the toe, which changed the steering wheel center. Now the wheel is crooked and I was not sure the car will drive straight. Not much I could do about it now, we were leaving in 2 days and I had to just roll with it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014 - 11:56:19 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #717 on: April 21, 2014 - 09:15:00 AM »
We get some of our best work and the most done when we have a deadline, don't we? I've gotten so much done this way. It is stressful but you stay focused. You also find out how little sleep you can get by on.

When you get to the event, with all of the other car guys, it all pays off just being there.

You just have to stay on it and never say "Just screw it I'll go next year".  I get this way sometimes towards blastoff time.
Next year will be another whole set of excuses.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline sadil340

« Reply #718 on: April 21, 2014 - 06:43:10 PM »
Can't wait to hear the trip recounted!  :popcorn:
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #719 on: April 22, 2014 - 01:04:13 AM »
So one of the other things I wanted to do before the open track day was put a rear sway bar on. This wasn't too bad of an installation, though lining up the holes going through the frame was interesting, only had to move the fuel pump input hose, reroute the parking brake cable on the passenger side a little (there were witness marks from the cable hitting the exhaust) and do some welding. I took a guess and set the adjustment on the middle hole though the instructions say to use the softest setting. So far so good. When we were looking at the engine the day before we were to leave, something looked "off". the engine was sitting low on the passenger side. Turns out the passenger side motor mount was shot. At least I had an extra so that was good. The bad was yet another unscheduled repair, what was to be the first of many on this "adventure". So the last night before the trip was spent changing out the motor mount. Luckily I was able to sneak the mount out of there after removing the alternator and jacking up the engine a little. And - hey, what do you know - after replacing the mount, the passenger side header doesn't hit the inner fender anymore and the idler arm doesn't hit the collector. turns out the engine had sagged down a 1/2" due to the bad mount. So after all that I was beat and called it a night. I went in and started a stack of all the stuff I wanted to take with us, both extra parts and normal travel junk like clothes and sunscreen. So the next morning I was up nice and early and out tying up the last of what I could do before leaving. I was hoping to leave between 12 and 1pm so we could make it down to Palmdale in time for dinner (it's about a 6 hour drive from Sacramento). So what's on the list to do - change the oil, check all the suspension points, check the rear axle bearings, check the brakes and any other last minute stuff I can fit in. I had a cup of coffee and some yogurt so I'm good to go. I think. Oh crap, I need to finish hooking up the headlights after some of the other related wiring stuff I mentioned earlier so that was the last thing I needed to do and it's now 3pm. I still haven't eaten anything. There comes a point where you have to draw a line and say "that's all I'm going to do, it is what it is" and go. By the time I loaded up all the stuff and headed out, it was 5pm. Rush hour. So I pick up my buddy and we are about 10 minutes down the road and he says "I think I forgot the reservation stuff for Vegas at home". So I pull over and he checks, and he is right. So back we go. Ok. 6pm we are really leaving - finally!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014 - 01:23:06 AM by ntstlgl1970 »