Author Topic: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip  (Read 191476 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Re: Willow Springs, Spring Fling, MATS 1600 mile road trip
« Reply #735 on: April 26, 2014 - 12:56:46 PM »
Great story so far.

Love to see such an awesome car driven long and hard.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #736 on: April 27, 2014 - 08:17:57 PM »
Great story so far.

Love to see such an awesome car driven long and hard.

Jason

Thanks Jason

So Friday is the beginning of Spring Fling - first thing is the cruise to Malibu for lunch from Woodley Park. After talking to Steve at speed fest, he said most people meet up there around 9:45am, then the group leaves sometime around 10:30 for Malibu. When we showed up the park, there was a good turnout of cars, maybe 30-40 already in lined up. This was going to be fun. All sorts of cars, including an Australian Valiant were on display. After checking out all the cars, the organizer called us together to explain the route we are to take to Malibu. I think I heard everything he said, but I wasn't sure. I just figured that I would follow the crowd and we would be fine. I had not participated in a big cruise like this before and we got a good taste of what LA traffic had in store for us for the remainder of this portion of the trip. So we all pull out into traffic then line up on the side of the road so everyone was in one pack. Then it's off to the freeway - the 405 - at close to 11am on a Friday and it's stop and go. Really?! Of course I get caught out at the stoplight prior to the merge onto the freeway and I've got about 20 cars behind me on the cruise. I suddenly wish I had listened to the organizer a little more carefully. I know we need to merge onto 101 to head towards Mulholland drive. So we get on the freeway, navigate this crazy exchange onto 101 with a bunch of cars following me, and I'm not sure where we are supposed to go because part of the instructions we were given on the printout were identified as being wrong by the organizer. Luckily, one of the other participants came around me and took the lead.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014 - 08:52:55 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #737 on: April 28, 2014 - 03:46:49 AM »
That last picture is a VG Valiant hardtop from Australia :2thumbs: They made the journey over from America to Australia as pieces of a Dodge Dart, everything back from the A-pillars back is all 68-69 Dodge Dart, even the hump in the floor was left closer to the right hand side of the car as it came from Dodge America.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #738 on: April 29, 2014 - 04:53:30 PM »
That last picture is a VG Valiant hardtop from Australia :2thumbs: They made the journey over from America to Australia as pieces of a Dodge Dart, everything back from the A-pillars back is all 68-69 Dodge Dart, even the hump in the floor was left closer to the right hand side of the car as it came from Dodge America.
There was a Valiant Ute at MATS, but I don't think I got a picture of it. Never seen one of those before.

We were following a '64 Valiant convertible through town to the "Rock Shop" - a popular destination on Muholland Drive. It took a while to get there, driving through the hills in a big procession, but the views were great. A lot of pedestrians would stop to check out the cars going by. Once at the Rock Shop, we quickly filled all the parking spaces - so much so that the CHP came by and made sure that some of the cars were parked completely off the road. It was a good crowd of car and bike guys checking everything out. We hung out here for about 30 minutes then we were off again.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #739 on: April 29, 2014 - 05:01:34 PM »
There was a Valiant Ute at MATS, but I don't think I got a picture of it. Never seen one of those before.
I think i know that car, a friend of mine over here is a friend of the guy who owns that ute, what colour was it ? :wave:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #740 on: April 30, 2014 - 03:11:42 PM »

We were following a '64 Valiant convertible through town to the "Rock Shop" - a popular destination on Muholland Drive. It took a while to get there, driving through the hills in a big procession, but the views were great. A lot of pedestrians would stop to check out the cars going by. Once at the Rock Shop, we quickly filled all the parking spaces - so much so that the CHP came by and made sure that some of the cars were parked completely off the road. It was a good crowd of car and bike guys checking everything out. We hung out here for about 30 minutes then we were off again.

Sure looks like a fun time! Someday I WILL get out that way with my car! :aarg:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #741 on: May 02, 2014 - 02:54:39 AM »
I'll have to find a picture with the Ute in it, I know I did not get a chance to see it up close

So one last picture of the Rock Shop before we left. We drove maybe 10 minutes further up Muholland before stopping at a scenic overlook, then we were off again. I'll say that organizing such a long procession of old cars takes some planning and the club members of CPW did an excellent job. Before getting into Malibu we had to join up with a highway which was a good opportunity to open it up a little. Then there was a tunnel - and you know what tunnels are made for - right?!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014 - 03:48:33 AM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #742 on: May 02, 2014 - 08:21:33 PM »
what a cool gathering :cooldancing:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #743 on: May 06, 2014 - 03:00:24 AM »
what a cool gathering :cooldancing:

The cruise definitely had more people participating than I expected.

Once we made it into Malibu, we joined the PCH / Highway 1 and headed south towards the lunch spot. There is definitely some traffic in Malibu and people drive crazy there, weaving in and out of traffic and all that good stuff. We stopped on the side of the road to let everyone group up again, that's when it happened - one of those traffic surfers made a wrong turn and ended up getting to know a bread truck intimately

We drove further on down the road and stopped at a nice overview of the beach. Got to talk to some guys from Canada that were hitching a ride in the Australian Valiant. We hung out on the side of the road for a while then it was time to fire em up and head to lunch. With all of us in the seafood place it took forever to get our food, but it sure was good stuff. Made the $7 parking fee (yikes!) not hurt so bad. That will teach me not to park in the beach parking area (part of the state park system). Once lunch was finished we all loaded up and headed back to the hotel.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014 - 02:14:32 AM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #744 on: May 07, 2014 - 01:58:15 AM »
So after we got back to the hotel, we had a little bit of time to relax before the kick off party at Picture Car Warehouse. This place is really cool, they have a bunch of cars there that you would recognize from movies and commercials, Kenny Wayne Shepard's Xtreme Lee and another car of his. Plus the storage area has lots of older cars to see. The catered fish tacos were awesome and since the place is an old Cadillac dealership, it's pretty big so between the food and the cars you can get lost there for hours. Last year, the inside parking area was partially blocked off because they were shooting a show or something, but this year they let us park inside, they had a good mix of cars in there. They also have one of those crazy driving simulators with the 3 widescreen monitors and everything but it seemed like every time I wanted to try it out, there was someone already using it. Oh well. I don't know where these guys find all the cars they have on the lot - weird Mopars that you rarely ever see and lots of funny movie props lying around. As the night wore on, the cars thinned out and it was time to head back to the hotel. As we were driving out of the back lot, some guy comes up and says we should do a burnout in the parking lot. I have no problems with this but in the past I have gotten myself in some trouble so I was a little hesitant since I don't know any of these people and it is someone's business. The guy kept insisting it was no big deal and if you are on private property you can't get in trouble with the police. Yeah - I'm not convinced, then he pulls out a couple of business cards and it turns out he is one of the managers there - so - GAME ON! Sorry - no pictures of that, but he was happy, then I proceeded to merge into traffic from the driveway at a high rate of speed and angle that scared the crap out of someone in a minivan- mission accomplished! Next step was to try and get out of the area. Can't exactly blend into traffic in this car so we played it cool getting back to the hotel.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014 - 02:47:43 AM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #745 on: May 15, 2014 - 02:05:23 AM »
So the next morning is the Spring Fling show and shine (no judging) - Just show up and hang out. It always amazes me how different the turnout for Saturday is vs. Sunday. For example, last year, there were a number of Dodge Daytona's on Saturday and almost none on Sunday. The swap meet is always best on Saturday in my opinion, so we parked the car and went straight to the swap meet. The temps were much cooler this year. I like it when it is in the 80's vs the 100's (no kidding!) like last year. Since it's just a show and shine, things are pretty low key so we hung out for the day, then it was off to Bob's Big Boy for the cruise in

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #746 on: May 15, 2014 - 02:30:12 AM »
Bob's has a big section of the parking lot roped off (which is good because part of the shopping center is taken up by target). One thing that was a surprise is Bob's had updated their menu and the food is better than before. I was craving a milkshake - mission accomplished. Check out some of the cool cars that showed up.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014 - 02:42:57 AM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline Haddixj

« Reply #747 on: May 15, 2014 - 08:52:04 AM »
Hey are you planning on being at the hagen park show this year? If so see you out there

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #748 on: May 16, 2014 - 02:08:19 AM »
Hey are you planning on being at the hagen park show this year? If so see you out there

Hey Jason, yeah I'll be at the Mopar Day in the Park show at hagen (capitalcitymopars.com). I'll also be at the Mopar Alley show (which moved to De Anza College in Cupertino for this year) Hope to see you there!

Back to the story -

So Saturday was a lot of fun, and the next day was the judged show. If you go to spring fling - stay at the host hotel - airtel, its pretty nice, with secured parking and its about 1.5 miles from the park. They have a pool and enough attendees stay there that it turns into a car show in the parking lot too. So the weather was great again on Sunday - get a t shirt early - they sell out of all the colors until all there is left is white. Another thing I'm glad they have is the ice cream trucks, they didn't do as much business as last year but I did my part to help them out  :grinyes: There weren't many AAR's or T/A's this year. Like I was saying before, the turnout changes so much every year, there were some cars I saw last year I was looking forward to seeing again that did not make it this year. So kinda cool, I ended up winning second place in E Body modified so that was a nice surprise.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014 - 02:24:07 AM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #749 on: May 16, 2014 - 02:25:32 AM »
hang on for the next installment, it's where things start going wrong.....