Author Topic: Putting tranny fluid in engine oil???  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Putting tranny fluid in engine oil???
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007 - 09:23:47 AM »
:clueless:  Never heard of pouring it in the carb, but I have heard of doing that with water.   :2thumbs:

:iagree:  Just water that I've used with a mist bottle....

I wonder if it's similar in practice as this?  When I worked at Acura, some of the '91 Legends had some carbon build up due to the design of the rings and would cause knocking.  The treament for this as a first step was to let the engine "drink" engine cleaner through one of the vacuum hoses.  As soon as the can was empty, you shut down the engine then let it soak in for a couple of hours. 

After that came the fun part!  You start the car and immediately get out on the road and get the engine in the higher RPMS so as to clear out the cleaner.  It made a huge cloud of smoke!  We always pretended to be the Batmobile throwing out a smke screen!  :roflsmiley:

If the knocking was still there, it was re-ring time.... :bricks1:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007 - 09:39:58 AM »
I use to do that with my 383. I would use a quart of tranny fluid. Pour 1/2 in the carb, slowly. Reving the engine. Then dump the the last 1/2 and stall the motor. Let it sit over night. Start it the next day and run it til the smoke cleared. I've heard of using water but never did.

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007 - 12:07:58 PM »
I heard it was brake fluid and water. Never tried it though. I have used transmission fluid in the crank case though. It seemed to work OK. The newer motors 2.5,3.0, and mostly the 3.7 motors are prone to sludge. This causes problems (ticking) with the valve lash adjusters (lifters). I have used Sea Foam (detergent) and Lucas oil treatment(to keep viscosity of oil) in an oil change and ran that until the oil was dirty. That was about 6 weeks. It cleans very well and fast. I then changed the oil again.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007 - 01:24:01 PM »
I've heard of doing this as a means to reduce leakage. The trans fluid swells the rubber up and stops leaks. 

I've heard of the water trick. I also used to know an old timer who also said that a little ajax and water squirted into a cylinder and left over night would lightly hone a cylinder, reseating rings, and avoiding a full blown rebuild.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007 - 01:39:53 PM »
Sounds similar to the de-carbon treatment they used on Mercury outboards. They had a unique Mercury spray product for this. You would warm the engine then start shooting this spray foam down the carbs while you were in motion till the engine died. Continue shooting the foam till the can is emptied. Let sit for 10 mins, then run the heck out of it.     
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Robb

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007 - 11:16:42 PM »
I have used Sea Foam (detergent) 

I have just recently used Seafoam on my 2002 TransAM ws6 and on my 99 4Runner.   Let the tank get down to 1/2 and then pour in 2 cans to the gas tank.  run the tank as close to dry as you can, before adding any more gas.    Helped both vehicles noticeably, increased mpg with the 4runner and ended the light pinging in the TA.    I am going to do the Vacuum line and gas line on the 68 Sport Satellite in a couple of weeks.  procedure as decribed above, let it suck in through the brake line slowly for 1/3 pint (can) and then shut engine off for 1/2 hour and then go drive it off with a smoke cloud.  Ill have to report back how it goes  on the 68.  (the motor is original and hasnt been gone through before, and has 90K miles on it)

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler