Author Topic: HiBeam issues  (Read 5487 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: HiBeam issues
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007 - 11:48:39 PM »
I think so??

Are you talking about "angel eyes"?  The lights that encircle the headlights?  :clueless:

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007 - 11:27:35 AM »
Oh, daddy like!! yeah, thats the ones!! I dig the look, are there any wiring mods to be done??
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007 - 02:02:36 PM »
I would imagine so.  Have to hack into the factory wiring and all.  They do look cool.  I've had a fast BMW come up behind me with red angel eyes and boy did I get out of his way fast.  That car looked mean!

Do a google search for angel eyes or angel eyes installation to what you're in for.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007 - 02:17:20 PM »
Those are cooooool :smokin:      Keep us posted please! :popcorn:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007 - 03:36:52 PM »
gitty up!

Ive seen "Halo" bulbs on eBay before, but im also thinking that some wiring would have to change due to the fact that theres some sort of power going to all 4 bulbs at one time or another. I'll report back with my findings......
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007 - 03:45:54 PM »
gitty up!

Ive seen "Halo" bulbs on eBay before, but im also thinking that some wiring would have to change due to the fact that theres some sort of power going to all 4 bulbs at one time or another. I'll report back with my findings......

Shouldn't be too hard to wire up something like that. Be a interesting look, keep us posted.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007 - 03:53:06 PM »
Here's a universal angel eyes kit from Europe.  No expensive.  There probably is a supplier in the U.S. that has they.  Will have to keep searching...

http://www.auto-cruise.net/White-LED-Angel-Eye-Kit-p-16180.html

They have them for Chargers too! http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36647
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007 - 03:56:26 PM by Super Blue 72 »

Offline willhaven

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007 - 04:09:37 PM »
Goody, do you recall what brand headlights you used? I checked the eBay auction on you're site and it's been wiped.

I need to decide on a headlight setup pretty soon and thought I'd ask since you like your so much.

Thanks!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007 - 10:28:33 PM »
shouild just wire into the park light circuit

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline duodec

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007 - 11:37:20 PM »
Goody, do you recall what brand headlights you used? I checked the eBay auction on you're site and it's been wiped.

I need to decide on a headlight setup pretty soon and thought I'd ask since you like your so much.

Thanks!

Hella used to be the most common maker of 7" (dual) H4 headlights; they were not DOT approved so only legal for motorcycle and off-road use, and looked unusual because they were almost flat. Cibie used to make lights with a 'sealed' glass capsule inside; the reflector unit was completely sealed but accepted an H4 bulb; those were street legal but the reflector pattern wasn't as good as the Hella or other "European" type lights.

I have Carello JOD H4 and H1 (quad) 5-3/4's on my Challenger.  Also not street legal, but they had the excellent European pattern.  They also made it 100% mandatory to install headlight relays.

There are a lot of chinese made noname lamps on Ebay; I don't  have experience with them.  You may still be able to find Hellas online or in catalogs for older Euro imports (BMWs and the like) or at motorcycle shops that cater to older bikes.

Offline gomopar440

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007 - 04:47:52 PM »
I got a set of those "angel eyes" (also know as Halo) H4 conversion bulbs from Ebay a while back. I also got a set of the H4's with the full clear faces at the same time. I haven't gotten them installed yet, but just from test fitting them I can tell they'll take some modifications to make them work. The alignment nubs on the back (one of the sets doesn't have any) don't line up with the recessed notches in the stock Chally headlight mounting buckets.

My solution is to grind the nubs that don't line up off the back of the conversion bulbs and then just add some of my own nubs back on once I get the bulbs aligned correctly. I'm planing on running the relay setup as well since H4's can be had in higher wattages than the stock bulbs. I wouldn't want to ever overheat the stock switches and have my lights cut out on me while driving at night.

FWIW: I'm planing on running the Halo's in the outboard positions and use them for the Hi/Lo beams only. In the inner bulb positions I'll be using the clear lense conversion bulbs. They're getting fitted with 100W H4 bulbs and they will run off a seperate switch and relay setup to be used as my driving lights.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007 - 08:12:52 AM »
that sounds sweet! let us know what the final product is like and what it took to ge there  :thumbsup:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline gomopar440

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007 - 10:43:47 PM »
Well, this is the headlight mod mid-project update for what it's worth.

The Halo bulbs had two of the alignment tabs line up but the third was off by about 1/2". I need to figure out which one is interfering and grind it off. The backs are made of plastic but the lenses are glass. All the chrome plating is inside the bulb so the outer portion of the back of the bulb is ok to grind on. Once It is removed I'll just wrap the bulb bracket in saran wrap and set the bulb in place (oriented properly of course). Then squirt some epoxy into the gap where the tab is missing and let it set up till dry. That should make a tab on the bulb that fits the bracket perfectly.

The other main item of concern is that these bulbs are slightly larger in diameter than the original bulbs. The trim rings will NOT fit over them without modification. What I am doing is cutting the existing joint on the trim rings and then using part of a spare trim ring to fill the gap. You will need access to a spot welder or know someone that is VERY good with welding thin metal. Below is a pic of the trim ring where I split it. The gap to be filled is about 1/2" or so.

Also, on the back of the clear lense bulbs there are some protrusions that interfere with the bulb being able to sit in the bucket. I took the grinder to one of those and it fits in there fine now. I'll have to do the saran wrap and epoxy trick to it as well because these bulbs don't have ANY alignment nubs on them at all.

Other than that, it's a straight forward swap. You can use the existing headlight bulb plugs to plug into the H-4 bulbs. Just check the existing wiring to verify that the wires are going to the correct pins. For the wires to operate the halo rings, just wire them into the parking lights or a switched power source. Whichever you prefer.

If you plan on doing the relay mod, these H4's will work just as well as the regular bulbs for that.

For the Driving light mod I plan on doing... ;) I'll let you know how it goes when I get there. It will be run through a dash switch and a relay on a completely seperate circuit.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007 - 10:46:20 PM by gomopar440 »

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007 - 06:34:01 AM »
I would like to know where to get them lights to goody i need them vdery dark where i am at.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007 - 06:50:01 AM »
Found them on ebay in 5 3/4 size.here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270171818298

i emailed them and awating response.

Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)