Author Topic: Timing (again!!) attention Chryco and Dangerfield!!  (Read 714 times)

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
Timing (again!!) attention Chryco and Dangerfield!!
« on: September 23, 2007 - 03:33:53 PM »
 :horse:

anyway.... Ive started doing some experimentation.

I unhooked the vacuum adv and plugged the carb. timed to 35* total @ 2500 RPM's

i bring it back down, still w/o the adv, and im getting 18 - 20*. it jumps a little due to my cam. so i hook my adv up... slight rise in idle, and now im reading around 38*

once again, i know im beating a dead horse literally, but can anyone shed some more light on this and what i should be looking for?? If i play with the adv (counter clock less adv and clock more adv) will that change up that jump from 18* to 35*??

thanks for all the help. lets treat this like "timing for dummies" I understand total time, but can you guys help me out with the others? it was my understanding, after cutting and pasting all the other articles into one word file to read up, that when you bring it down after total timing and w/o the adv hooked up that you would have between 12* - 16*. but what should i be getting when i hook up the adv??

and Im not interested in "welding slots" and "mechanical adv systems" id just like to work with what i have without major distributor surgery.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Timing (again!!) attention Chryco and Dangerfield!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007 - 04:14:47 PM »
First, let me ask IF you have a problem? Does the engine miss, or what? 12-16* timing is the usual with a bigger cam. That is with the advance line plugged. You might have a problem at cruising speed if the pod in your distributor is advanced too far. You will notice a miss, or random bucking.

From what you have done, you might be fine. Drive the car and let us know.  :wave: If it pings, the timing needs to be retarded.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007 - 10:37:55 PM »
re-connecting the vacuum advance will affect total timing causing the potential to over advance & miss as Mike said
 so you are now reading 38* at high RPM ?...........so you are gaining 3* with vacuum connected which could be ok
See how it runs

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007 - 09:23:20 AM »
Ah, thanks guys. at the moment Im not pinging. I was noticing a miss at mid throttle (cruise 40mph) I then re-timed and now i just notice the slightest... slightest missing at a slow steady throttle (going up a hill at 10mph)

I just wanted to try and get it as close as possible to get the most out of my "408" thanks guys.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline matt63

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007 - 10:02:28 AM »
My 408 seems to run pretty good with 15 initial and 35 total (w/o advance).  I then hooked up the vacuum advance.  The distributor is the MP unit with the performance curve springs. This timing set-up seems to work for lots of people.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD