Author Topic: Instrument Cluster Voltage regulator  (Read 12072 times)

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
Instrument Cluster Voltage regulator
« on: September 24, 2007 - 12:48:44 PM »
May be a question that may  be simple or if I thought about it long enough would I still ask it.  Anyway, I cannot get the oil pressure or the temp guage to give a readout (Rally panel).  I have checked around and I can get a regulator but I think the one I have is ok.  I hooked up 12 volts to it and it gave the  5 volts out.   Now the question.   I do not at this time have the fuel sending unit hooked up.  I think these three guages are all looped together. By not having the fues guage in the loop, Am I leaving a gap in the electrical circuit?   There I asked the ???  Thanks in advance.  David
Dave or David

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Instrument Cluster Voltage regulator
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007 - 04:08:06 PM »
My guess is that the other gauges should still work because they are individually grounded.  I don't think I've heard about someone's Rallye dash gauges all 3 not working because they had one bad gauge or something.  I could be wrong though....  :dunno:

You are correct to say that these three gauges are looped together in that one wire comes off the voltage limiter, runs to the oil gauge, then the temperature gauge, then finally to fuel gauge.  This is the positve only, as they are "hooked together" in series by connectors at each gauge, each gauge should have it's own individual sending unit.

Make sure that the wire coming off the voltage limiter has continuity all the way through to the end where it connects with the fuel gauge.  You may (I'm not sure but just a hunch  :thinkerg: ) want to test each gauges individual ground at the gauge also to make sure that the "POS" juice has a place to go.  They have individual, separate grounds according to the FSM that lead to the bulkhead connecter.

Hope this helps!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007 - 05:36:28 PM »
Electrical questions perk me up, so I am here to guess until I get it right.  :eek7:

The gas gauge is the last in the daisy chain wiring coming from the voltage limiter, so it doesn't matter if that isn't connected at this time. Are you testing the gauges with the gauge pod screwed in to the dash for the ground connection? Can you post a pic of these 3 gauges, as they might have all been fried. You can tell this if all the needles are hanging low.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007 - 06:10:28 PM »
You should be able to use a 6-12volt dry cell battery or other DC source to test each gauge

from http://rt-eng.com/mediawiki/index.php/RTE_Gauge_Faq#General_guidelines_to_gauge_testing_on_vintage_mopars

On the Fuel/oil/temp gauges, put 9V or 12V across them for 1 second, and if the hands move then they are good. (This does not test the calibration, but that is more complicated). DO NOT leave the 12V on the gauges for more than 1 second.

Test the limiter by putting 12V into it, grounding the limiter case, and seeing if the output goes off and on and off every 1-2 seconds, using a test light. If it is stuck on 12V, then the limiter is bad and it will fry your fuel/oil/temp gauges.

Take the ammeter out of the housing, and look and see if it has any corrosion on it (do NOT use a corroded one in a car, it can catch on fire). Also gently wiggle the two studs, and if either stud moves, DO NOT use this ammeter in your car as it can catch on fire. I can rebuild these if you have a bad one. Also, make sure that the needle points to zero as you tilt the ammeter around. If the needle moves and points far to the left and right, then the magnet in the ammeter is bad and you need a new ammeter.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007 - 06:16:30 PM »
Aaaw, what the heck,

Pics of the wiring, and of working gauges. The 12 volt feed plugs into the lowest tab on the voltage limiter.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007 - 06:17:38 PM »
Mike, you are awesome!  :2thumbs:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007 - 06:27:11 PM »
Mike, you are awesome!  :2thumbs:

If only you were a girl...   :smilielol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007 - 06:34:52 PM »

Ba-dum-sshhh

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007 - 09:38:01 PM »

Sorry to disappoint you...  :P   :roflsmiley:

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007 - 10:27:03 PM »
OK.  I know my relay is now working.   Put 12 volts to it and was getting the pulse voltage out.  Decided to check my guages again.  Negative wire, simulating the sensor wire, to the sensor post.   Positive 12 volts to the post that received the pulse voltage. Only for a second....... all the guages worked. :bananasmi :bananasmi.   Now I realize that the  limiter hasn't been getting voltage.  I got to go thru all the wiring in the dash anyway because I wasn't getting any dash lights either.   Now the time consuming task.   Thanks all for the help.
Dave or David

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007 - 02:10:46 AM »
Dash lights are usually either a ground problem with the upper panel or a bad dimmer switch [not headlight dimmer on the floor ]

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007 - 10:15:31 AM »
... a bad dimmer switch [not headlight dimmer on the floor ]

:iagree:  My dash lights didn't work and I kept working the dimmer switch (next to the headlight switch) back and forth and that I guess helped to clean the contacts and the dash lights now work in my particular situation.

Offline larry4406

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007 - 06:39:02 PM »
I agree on the instrument dimmer.  Mine died, no dash lights.  I made a jumper out of a piece of copper stripped wire and jumpered the socket feeding the dimmer.  Full bright all the time, dimmer in position looking like it does something.  Did this almost 20+ years ago, not sure how I did the jumper.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007 - 08:03:18 PM »
I agree on the instrument dimmer.  Mine died, no dash lights.  I made a jumper out of a piece of copper stripped wire and jumpered the socket feeding the dimmer.  Full bright all the time, dimmer in position looking like it does something.  Did this almost 20+ years ago, not sure how I did the jumper.

Nice move.  :thumbsup:

I wasn't so creative. I replaced my bad dimmer with a toggle switch. You have to look hard to notice it on my dash panel, so I don't get too much crap.  :lol: The good news is it makes my dashlights much brighter than anyone who still is useing the original dimmer switch.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD