Author Topic: How Do You Keep Thieves From Jacking Your Car?  (Read 8495 times)

Offline mopower

Re: How Do You Keep Thieves From Jacking Your Car?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007 - 06:30:50 PM »
just leave em a note telling them how much money they would need to maintain these cars..  ?

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007 - 06:39:11 PM »
just leave em a note telling them how much money they would need to maintain these cars..  ?

:smilielol:   :roflsmiley:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007 - 06:44:11 PM »
Thanks NZ, I'll look into a Tilt sensor. I wanted one in vegas when I daily drove my car. I wonder if its just a mercury switch (like some hoods how there is a switch inside the hood, when its opened so far it makes a connection without a switch mounted solid on the car... :clueless:

Fuel shutout (electric, or i had a manual valve at my pump that was tucked in when i ran a mechanical pump.), ignition cutout, complete system shutoff, (another easy one gang is a neutral safety switch cutout, just make a switch in series with the ground wire to the NSS...). I have an interia switch if i was worried about it, i could smack it and take fuel out too, alarm with ign cutout........i basically have the necessary stuff to keep a average theif out. Even if your good, you're not gettin this thing started...or more than a 1/8th mile down the road. Basically all i can do to keep it from driven off, towed....nothin you can do, well not much  :banghead:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007 - 06:48:21 PM »
Take the rotor out of your distributor cap, that ought to fix 'em.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007 - 07:12:21 PM »
Yes it is a mercury switch.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007 - 09:03:47 PM »
Is there any place where you can buy one of those wheel clamp things that he police put on a car to immobalize it? Thise things are practically indestructible.

Maybe we should start building Transformers, and the cars can take care of themselves. LOL.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007 - 09:17:55 PM »
Take the rotor out of your distributor cap, that ought to fix 'em.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Thats what I do....unless they carry a bunch of rotors with them than they are SOL. I also have a time lapse camera covering the garage at all times and usually park cars in front of it so they would have to move them to gain access. If I'm on the road then I just park it where I can see it or in an area that is busy. As for a carjacking, I have a CCW permit and usually carry a .45 with me so I welcome the idiot that tries it.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline mopower

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007 - 07:58:26 AM »
leave em a note and tell them your a taliban suicide car bomber           

Offline mrob

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007 - 08:42:50 AM »
How about GPS tracking? That way you don't have to rely on your local police force to have the Lojack tracking equipment. Here's an example of one GPS tracking system: http://www.collectorsautosupply.com/mobile%20iq%20-%20jim.htm

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007 - 09:34:28 AM »
Wow, do you guys go to this much trouble to safegaurd your daily drivers too?

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007 - 10:38:12 AM »
How about GPS tracking? That way you don't have to rely on your local police force to have the Lojack tracking equipment. Here's an example of one GPS tracking system: http://www.collectorsautosupply.com/mobile%20iq%20-%20jim.htm

GPS tracking is great, but if you own one, don't go telling the whole world. Why? The easy way around GPS is by packing the car into a steel container or truck where in most cases the signal is weak or non existent from within the steel confines of the truck/container. So, if you own one, keep it to yourself. Word gets around and the would-be burglary knows, he can now set up and get the right people & equipment to pull it off. If they don't know, they won;t go to all that trouble of getting a big steel container or truck. They could pull it out and drive home etc etc and not know 3 Police cars are minutes away from their address. GPS are also good as they send alarm signals out to your phone, fax, email where ever you want. I read this, I don't have one, or do I?  ;)

HP2 - Daily driver? Depends what daily driver you have I guess. My Jeep just has a standard 5 star alarm, no tilt etc. Guess it depends on how much someone wants to protect their cars. What's $500 on a good alarm compared to losing ones car? Or, in simple form, what's the difference between an alarm and insurance? Not much really if you think about it. Well, the alarm has no ongoing costs so is a just a good precaution to have. Gives you time.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007 - 10:42:54 AM »
Nothing really, if they are so determined they are willing to break into your garage. Most career criminals know how to get around alarms of most automotive and home types.

True but what alarms really offer is time, time is the true defender of ones possessions. :thumbsup: No alarm, sad sack owner - gone in a second. Alarm whaling and things chirping, makes the burglar rush, get nervous and in most cases leave the scene. People often think alarms are there to stop car theft when although this "true" and how they are sold to the public, it's not "really" the case, they're only there to delay the process and warn anyone within the immediate area that the car is being broken into.

Any alarm system can be broken in to (almost all) but to do most the buglar would basically have to take the car back to his garage for 10 mins, 20, mins 30 mins+ to get past some of these systems, the good systems anyhow. The cheap local car alarms you get with a free balloon are utter shlt, spend good money on the best there is and there is something you can do about it. With or without is up to the owner, I'll take any precaution I see fit to save my pride & joy(s).

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007 - 10:47:03 AM »
Thanks NZ, I'll look into a Tilt sensor. I wanted one in vegas when I daily drove my car. I wonder if its just a mercury switch (like some hoods how there is a switch inside the hood, when its opened so far it makes a connection without a switch mounted solid on the car... :clueless:

As far as I know (71hemi included in topic) no, it's not a mercury setup. It's connected to nothing and is an inbuilt unit that sits under the console. It relies truly on it's own sensor devices not disconnecting etc. I have the mercury style switch setup you speak of on my hood & truck and it's nothing like that although they work good too.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007 - 12:40:45 PM »
The only problem with alarms, is that people are getting way too used to them. I don't know about you, but there isn't a time goes by when I am at a Mall, that someones alarm isn't going off. I always look, but I notice that most other people don't even pay attention any more. You know how the fairytale about "Crying Wolf" turns out.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007 - 01:54:19 PM »
The only problem with alarms, is that people are getting way too used to them. I don't know about you, but there isn't a time goes by when I am at a Mall, that someones alarm isn't going off. I always look, but I notice that most other people don't even pay attention any more. You know how the fairytale about "Crying Wolf" turns out.

Mine tells me when mine is going off. I know to pay attention to it :D
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link