Author Topic: Man do I feel bad, too much labor and no common sense  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Man do I feel bad, too much labor and no common sense
« on: September 26, 2007 - 09:38:43 PM »
So I couldn't get my factory tach to work. Stupid me pulls the dash out and changes the tach from my other dash and it didnt work either....oh well I said and let it ride for a while

fast foreward

So now I'm making my reverse light work on the dash and I change a bulb that kinda looks good but didn't test and it didn't work either.

Fast foreward

I decided to check the fuse box...duhhhhhhhhhh and the reverse lights fuse was blown

Well   now my tach works to.   Talk about a pain in the but to take the dash and gauges apart and then find out it was the fuse.......

I can only look back and grin now

I guess I needed my wife in the back ground asking the simple things like----did you check the fuses?   

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Man do I feel bad, too much labor and no common sense
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007 - 09:49:40 PM »
Don't feel bad Al..... :cheers:   Been there done that stuff also....    :bigsmile:   All you can do is look back, shake your head and laugh......     :roflsmiley:    :smilielol:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007 - 10:54:32 PM »
Al I hate to admit it but been there... DOH! 
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007 - 11:10:10 PM »
I do feel good about a fixit job I did on the car today. When I got my car, the rearend was already in it. I put 15x7 wheels on it and the lft wheel had right hand lugs and the right wheel had lft hand lugs. So I swapped the axles back and when I did I had notice the adjuster lock for the axle was on the non adjustable axle. They really screwed up in 1975 when they pulled the 391's and put back the original 323 suregrip. I was going to get the dana I have for it narrowed this week and my office said leave out for work saturday for 6 weeks. I'm gonna hate that cause I finish my trip in Ca and have to drive back 2600 miles.  Sure going to miss the purple car now. I got 5 miles on it working out the bugs

And the post about the dimmer switch cursed me. Now I have no brights just dims and they worked before someone made a post about this subject this week. :roflsmiley:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007 - 12:15:23 AM »
Next time I bet you check the fuse first!   :grinyes: 

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007 - 01:05:17 AM »
Alan,

When you took the dash out you already knew the fuse was bad.  You where just practicing taking the dash out so the next time you take it out it will be easier.   :2thumbs:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:

I hate when I do those things... :banghead:  :banghead:  :wave:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007 - 01:14:21 PM »
You're not the only one.   :grinno: :wave:

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007 - 01:56:20 PM »
Man, we have all gone through that at one time or another. What we should do, is create a flow chart of diagnostics when we are working on an issue. When it is resolved, we can go through and edit the chart of irrelevant checks. We can then post the flow chart in its own section for everyone to use when they have an issue. It may be quicker for someone to diagnose their problem than it is for everyone to give them things to check and they don't have easy access to the PC until the next day.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007 - 02:36:30 PM »
Allan...look on the bright side, you have at least one & possibly two working Tachs .  :grinyes:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007 - 06:02:35 PM »
My theory is always replace the most expensive component in the system first, then go back and find out what is really wrong.   :faint: Yes, that has cost me a few $$$.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007 - 06:27:52 PM »
I think it was me who cursed your headlights.  :-\  DOH!!
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline aussie-e-body

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007 - 08:58:21 PM »
touche'  :stirpot: :smilielol:
i want it all-i want it yesterday-and i want it for nothing

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007 - 09:09:34 PM »
At least it was something small like the fuse.  On my newest daily driver (still sitting at home for a little more work, though) I've been trying to track down all the smaller issues in the electrical system and let's just say I checked the fuses first and didn't have any luck there...::)
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007 - 11:36:29 PM »
At least it was something small like the fuse.  On my newest daily driver (still sitting at home for a little more work, though) I've been trying to track down all the smaller issues in the electrical system and let's just say I checked the fuses first and didn't have any luck there...::)

Well if it turns out you need a tach, I have 2 that work, call me a dummy, but I took the dash out again and installed the original back in...don't know why :banghead:don't know why :banghead:

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007 - 07:33:33 AM »
Here's one for you. I just finished a summer long project. customer picked it up. I had completly re-engineered the electrical system 2 years ago. Car has all kinds of gizmos. So, I find the MSD stops workign mid stream in teh project. It took a friend (fresh brains) to come over and help me figure out there was a short in teh main power feed to ground. Enough to make the ignition not work, but not enough to show major issues with testing voltages like MSD says to. So we fixed that. I got it all done, finished a 27 hour marathon to "git 'r done". I turn on the dash lights, and the radio and gear venders turn on.  :faint: No key on. No accessory on. The poarking lamp circuit is also the trigger for Halogen road lamps. That relay is in the passengers compartment, all others are part of a combination buss under the hood. What happened was, either the road lamp hot lead, or the MSD 12V hot lead, melted the insulation next to a large ground and each other somewhere in the harness. The dash lights allowed the power to back feed the gear venders and the radio/amp, and wouldnt allow the road lamps to fundtion. I found this out at 7pm on Sunday night, with the owner right there. So, unplug the road lamp relay, isolate the short, and add that fix to next years "things to do" list...lol. It happens. Least you found it.