Author Topic: Am I crazy?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Am I crazy?
« on: September 26, 2007 - 11:12:22 PM »
I got this crazy idea the other day.  Since I cant afford to have my car painted this winter (Dang other projects!   :pullinghair: ) it looks like it will only be of driver quality for at least another year.  The one thing that really bugs me about my car when I look at it is that hideous black painted top.  My car is coded for white vinyl top. 

My question is:  Has anyone removed a driver quality top without wrecking it?  Do you have to wreck a top to remove it?  It would only be temporary, and most likely anything looks better than this.  That way I can put all of my trim on and it would look much more presentable.  That way I wouldnt plunk down the change on a top that would be removed in the next year or so again.  Plus, it would look wierd with the aged/chipped paint.  Am I crazy for thinking this?  I just want it to look a little better, the pictures dont show how bad it really looks.  So, now, who is taking their white vinyl off?   :bigsmile:

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: Am I crazy?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007 - 11:20:43 PM »
I think you can get a brand new vinyl top for around $150. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007 - 11:24:13 PM »
I think you can get a brand new vinyl top for around $150. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Youre right.  But then I would have to pay someone to do it, for fear of me screwing it up.  And it totally wouldnt vibe with the car.  It would look out of place, too new, know what I mean?  And I plan on painting it within 2 years, then off it would come again.  I hate spending $$ twice. 

You can tell me if I'm crazy, too.   :crazy:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007 - 11:32:57 PM »
Ok, you're crazy..........  :crazy:

Can't you do a paint job and mask off a new vinyl top later on?  The new top should last a while....  :dunno:

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007 - 11:48:31 PM »
I agree, unless the car sits outside the new top would last as long as you do.  it shouldn't  cost that much to put the new top on and then you're done. just mask it off when you paint the car .
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007 - 12:09:11 AM »
I would wait it out. I think you should wait after paint, and get the top sanded down, then paint it orange also. Even if it did not come from the factory that way. For now, just hit it up with some flat black to make it OK for a while. I dont see a used top coming off in one piece. Mine came off in shreads.       

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007 - 09:58:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I may even paint it a semi gloss white this winter.  That wouldnt take much.   :dunno:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007 - 03:11:30 PM »
If you have some extra rolls of electrical tape your roof could match your ELX code side stripes.... just kidding..... :roflsmiley:  :misbehaving:  :poopoke:  :biggrin:  Ok, I'm the crazy one...  :crazy:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007 - 10:22:38 PM »
Clean it up,shoot it white,save your cash. 
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007 - 10:59:51 PM »
If you have some extra rolls of electrical tape your roof could match your ELX code side stripes.... just kidding..... :roflsmiley:  :misbehaving:  :poopoke:  :biggrin:  Ok, I'm the crazy one...  :crazy:

:walkaway:

I knew I shouldnt have said something about that.   :roflsmiley:

Clean it up,shoot it white,save your cash. 

Thanks, I'll have to put that on my winter to do list. 

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007 - 12:02:07 AM »
I can't see how you could ever get it off without screwing it up.  I new a guy that was replacing a chrome piece and screwed his top all up 'cause some of the glue was on the trim

Offline buzzard

• Why is their AIR
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007 - 10:29:33 PM »
 A couple of rattle cans would take care of the color