Author Topic: Who is an AAR guru that is willing to answer questions?  (Read 8425 times)

Offline a34

• I miss my Cuda's and Challenger.....
Who is an AAR guru that is willing to answer questions?
« on: September 28, 2007 - 01:56:34 PM »
Hey Guys,

I have a buddy who is looking at an AAR for sale. I was wondering if there is an AAR guru that wouldn't mind answering some questions. If so, please pm me with your number.

Thanks !!!
Wanted 1969 Charger NOS parts. Whatcha got?

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
Re: Who is an AAR guru that is willing to answer questions?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007 - 02:00:53 PM »
Hey, why not share with everyone, maybe we can all learn something.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007 - 02:53:50 PM »
Maybe Barry will see this post. He is about the most knowledgeable person I can think of to answer most of the questions you want to have answered. But try sharing with all of us in the mean time

Offline a34

• I miss my Cuda's and Challenger.....
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007 - 04:10:02 PM »
Maybe Barry will see this post. He is about the most knowledgeable person I can think of to answer most of the questions you want to have answered. But try sharing with all of us in the mean time

Sure, be glad to.

Sassy Grass AAR automatic. Been in storage 22 years. Supposed to have an excellent body. Original engine gone, but includes T/A block. Tranny gone. All other parts there. Carbs have been rebuilt, has new exhaust system, 15" rallys'. This is as stated by the owner to my friend, my friend is driving 3 hours Sunday to look at it. Now, here's the kicker. DASH has been changed out and original VIN is missing. Title, fender tag, cowl all supposedly match and say AAR (J engine code).

So, I'm wondering what does he need to look for to verify this is a real AAR as all those numbers could be moved. Any other tell tell signs to be sure? I know the quarter panel mounted antenna is one.

Also, the guy is asking $15K. Assuming this turns out to be the real thing and is as described above, is $15K a fair price to pay? My friend is very excited as he has never had one of these cars and always wanted one. I'm concerned he might let that excitement cloud his judgement/vision once he gets there. Unfortunately,  I can't accompany him.

Any help is appreciated !!!

Wanted 1969 Charger NOS parts. Whatcha got?

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007 - 04:26:58 PM »
I cant answer a specific AAR question, BUT i will say that I see AAR's/TA's going for $50k. if the car is mostly complete its money in the bank for $15K (any '70 Ebody would be worth the investment), but if he's excited enough, resale won't matter. its safe to say he'd easily spend an aditional $15K on restoration. Im no expert, just my 2cents.  :cheers:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007 - 04:43:17 PM »
I don't care for the "Dash" being changed out and the vin missing.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007 - 04:48:28 PM »
yeah thats a little bogus, who goes through the trouble to remove an ebody dash. its a bastard!
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007 - 05:08:35 PM »
Should have the AAR/TA spoiler on the deck lid. The fenders and front valance should have the holes for the front spoilers.

What about the front radiator support? do those numbers match? Should be a 26 inch support, no 22 inch radiators in trans am cars.

I doubt somebody moved the cowl numbers 22 years ago, but you never know. Look for obvious signs that there was welding on the cowl...you can run your hand under the cowl by taking off one of the wiper linkage screens and feel for a seam where there should be none.

All Trans am cars have power discs on em, no manual or drum brake cars.

With the dash vin plate missing, that car takes a serious hit $$ wise in my book.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007 - 05:15:56 PM by hemi71 »

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007 - 05:16:20 PM »
"Title, fender tag, cowl all supposedly match and say AAR (J engine code)".

Hopefully the seller has the title in his name, I take it the door vin sticker is missing too right?

I would be very wary of anyone passing an AAR (or any e body for that matter) off without supporting documentation unless the stamped numbers in the body match the fender tag/title and said title is in the sellers name. Otherwise you have no idea what you are getting into.
If it has the stock fenders, look from underneath to see if it ever had a hole in the passenger fender for the antenna. It shouldn't.

70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007 - 05:20:44 PM »
Hey Guys,

I have a buddy who is looking at an AAR for sale. I was wondering if there is an AAR guru that wouldn't mind answering some questions. If so, please pm me with your number.

Thanks !!!

Get a hold of Barry Washington and see if he has any record of it.

AAR will have PDB and 11" rear brakes.  Also, the rear springs are special.

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007 - 05:35:11 PM »
Without the original VIN, its no longer a AAR. Its just a parts car. Without a VIN tag on the dash, i cant see a title doing any good. If the car was put back on the road, they would issue a new VIN tag.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007 - 05:47:43 PM »
Without the original VIN, its no longer a AAR. Its just a parts car. Without a VIN tag on the dash, i cant see a title doing any good. If the car was put back on the road, they would issue a new VIN tag.

With the proper documentation, you can get an original dash VIN plate made up.

IIRC, I think it was $300 + to get it done.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007 - 05:58:15 PM »
Check with BArry but I think that is illegal.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007 - 06:29:21 PM »
Check with BArry but I think that is illegal.

Depends on what your motive is.....if you are trying to alter a cars identity, then it's illegal. If you are replacing a missing tag, then it's not. Now these VIN plates were available a few years ago, they may have tightened down on that stuff lately. Pretty thin line, and something I'd never get involved in. Once the original VIN plate is gone, I'd stay away from it.

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007 - 06:31:27 PM »
I would not spend that kind of money on a car without the original VIN.

To me its a parts car
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007 - 06:33:09 PM by JS23U0B »