Who is an AAR guru that is willing to answer questions?

Author Topic: Who is an AAR guru that is willing to answer questions?  (Read 8426 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Who is an AAR guru that is willing to answer questions?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007 - 06:58:51 PM »
This is what Barry said about new vins in another thread

"New VIN plates even if they show the original VIN of the car come under the "counterfit" VIN category.

The only legal way to have a VIN plate made is by the original manufacture - and only on new cars.

If the VIN tag is missing, the legal way to deal with it is to apply for a state issued VIN."

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=30965.0
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007 - 07:03:06 PM »
I thought i was right, the state will issue a new VIN. This car is no longer a AAR Cuda. Its a parts car.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007 - 10:08:11 PM »
Look for torque box's,LCA plates,exhaust,mayby hi-po manifolds.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007 - 10:09:55 PM by IMNCARN82 »
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007 - 10:11:30 PM »
I thought i was right, the state will issue a new VIN. This car is no longer a AAR Cuda. Its a parts car.

kinda harsh isnt it? relegating a car to parts status merely on the basis that its dash vin plate is missing?
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007 - 10:15:19 PM »
Don't forget to check for the rear quarter panel mounted antenna.   :cheers:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007 - 10:17:17 PM »
Maybe a parts car is harsh, but it is no longer a AAR. Its all about that original tag, without it, you cant prove anything. The only legal way to put that thing on the road again is a reissued VIN.  

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007 - 10:45:04 PM »
You have to agree that even with a state reissued vin number it is still an AAR if the data tag, cowl numbers, original door sticker is BS23J right? what if it has the torque boxes and stuff?
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007 - 10:55:50 PM »
I still consider it a AAR and I sure wouldn't part it just becuase the dash vin is missing.

If the car is anywhere near as described I would go 15k on it any day of the week. I personally think that's a pretty good buy even with the market soft.

Offline MoparMan440

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007 - 11:10:10 PM »
BTW I sent you a PM and would be glad to help. There are many way to tell if the car is the real deal. The AAR's and T/A's are pretty unique so it's hard to pass off a 22 year old rebody(if that's what it is). They did them for various reasons but hardly factory correct that long ago. Again the parts (T/A BLOCK, intake, carbs ect) alone are worth pretty good $$$ I don't think you would get hurt. Of course my own  :2cents: but I would personally buy it if it panned out.

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007 - 11:10:34 PM »
...Vin#  should be on the radiator support/cowl/ and fender tag
...should have second fender tag "TRANS AM"
...trunk lid should have square holes for access to spoiler attachments
...rear mounted antennae
...front spoilers were optional (may not be there)
...hood is obvious, smaller hood springs
...rear springs have an extra leaf

my guess, it probably is a real AAR, but in very poor shape

my personal opinion would be to walk away, don't even waste the road trip

what you are getting is a non matching drive train, green car, that needs a complete resto, and still has a VIN tag problem....it will cost as much to restore this car as it will one with a proper VIN tag....a huge investment and the car would be difficult to sell at best

save your $$$ and get a more correct AAR....investment grade cars cost more to purchase, but are worth it in the long run...

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007 - 11:31:34 PM »
This is what Barry said about new vins in another thread

"New VIN plates even if they show the original VIN of the car come under the "counterfit" VIN category.

The only legal way to have a VIN plate made is by the original manufacture - and only on new cars.

If the VIN tag is missing, the legal way to deal with it is to apply for a state issued VIN."

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=30965.0

Well, thats Barry's take on that subject, and I'm sure he'll chime in here.

Better read that entire thread...there are different interperatations to that law, and it seems clear to me that unless you are intending to commit fraud, it's perfectly legal to restore or obtain a VIN plate for a legit car.

Lawyers can agrue over one word or phrase for hours, so you get a judge to rule one way, and another will rule differently.

The law was made to prevent people making VIN tags to conceal their original identity. When that law was written, they did not forsee these cars as "collectibles" so they did not address replacing VIN tags on legitimate cars. Do note that there are exclusions permiting restoration and repairs. Want to see 2 lawyers agrue over the meaning of the word "restoration"

This all comes down to intent. If you are trying to defraud someone over the identity of a car, you are committing a crime. If you are trying to restore your car to it's original state, thats a different matter.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007 - 11:46:10 PM »
Copy of the law in it's entirity

(a) A person who—
(1) knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters an identification number for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part; or
(2) with intent to further the theft of a motor vehicle, knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act,
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(b)
(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).
(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—
(A) a motor vehicle scrap processor or a motor vehicle demolisher who complies with applicable State law with respect to such vehicle or part;
(B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;
(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law; and
(D) a person who removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, if that person is the owner of the motor vehicle, or is authorized to remove, obliterate, tamper with or alter the decal or device by—
(i) the owner or his authorized agent;
(ii) applicable State or local law; or
(iii) regulations promulgated by the Attorney General to implement the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act.

Sorry about the off track of the original topic.....at 15K I dont think it's that bad of a deal, not a steal by any means. If you are willing to go thru the hassle of getting the VIN plate thing cleared up it is probably market value today....but personally I'd pass.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007 - 11:49:33 PM by hemi71 »

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007 - 11:48:33 PM »
I think that law states that you can remove it from the vehicle for purposes like restoration if you are restoring the car, but having a duplicate made is a crime.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline MoparMan440

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2007 - 11:54:44 PM »
...Vin#  should be on the radiator support/cowl/ and fender tag
...should have second fender tag "TRANS AM"
...trunk lid should have square holes for access to spoiler attachments
...rear mounted antennae
...front spoilers were optional (may not be there)
...hood is obvious, smaller hood springs
...rear springs have an extra leaf

Along with this list you can add.
Larger Rear Sway bar
Kframe - Check the washer for the number stamped. I believe it should be 52
Exhaust hanger position
974 Radiator - Although used in other cars.
Front and rear torque boxes(I think this was already mentioned)
Drifferent torsion bars. I can't remeber the #'s Anyone ?

Some of these things can vary as people change things or can be common. But if most add up mainly the major things you'll have a pretty good idea.

I know the T/A's had the fenders with clearance for the 15in rallyes. Does the same apply to the AAR's ?

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007 - 11:56:24 PM »
I think that law states that you can remove it from the vehicle for purposes like restoration if you are restoring the car, but having a duplicate made is a crime.

(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).

(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—

(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law; and

Pretty clear you can replace the VIN plate if you are not aware the car is stolen