Who is an AAR guru that is willing to answer questions?

Author Topic: Who is an AAR guru that is willing to answer questions?  (Read 8415 times)

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
Re: Who is an AAR guru that is willing to answer questions?
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007 - 12:00:17 AM »

(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).

(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—

(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law; and

Pretty clear you can replace the VIN plate if you are not aware the car is stolen

I would never being to debate this as I'm no lawer. There are services that perform restoration and or replacement tags. I would think their lawers have looked into this quite a bit. Maybe I'm wrong but I would think any decent business would.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007 - 12:09:42 AM »
I always heard that all aar's and t/a's came with the chin spoilers unmounted and in the trunk and the dealership put them on during prep?
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007 - 12:25:03 AM »
I always heard that all aar's and t/a's came with the chin spoilers unmounted and in the trunk and the dealership put them on during prep?

they were an option, J78, and they were dealer installed
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007 - 12:50:54 AM by DAYTONA »

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2007 - 12:25:24 AM »
not a good picture, but this was an original NON restored T/A I owned several years ago....it didn't have the front spoiler option.....many of the cars you see don't carry the J78 code, but have had the spoilers added for looks...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007 - 12:50:06 AM by DAYTONA »

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2007 - 02:20:24 AM »

(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).

(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—

(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law; and

Pretty clear you can replace the VIN plate if you are not aware the car is stolen

That is how I interpret the law.....  but this car would be too much hassle for me to put up with, and I bought a car with no title. 

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2007 - 05:34:02 AM »
I know the T/A's had the fenders with clearance for the 15in rallyes. Does the same apply to the AAR's ?

Not all Trans Am cars had the rolled fenders - some did, some didn't.  It seemed to depend on the assembly line worker.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007 - 03:38:43 PM by MJS73 »
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline ozrt4406

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2007 - 05:52:24 AM »
IT IS A VERY STRANGE CONCEPT A CAR IS NOT A CAR WITHOUT A VIN TAG , IN AUSTRALIA YOU CAN REGISTER A CAR WITHOUT ONE AS OUR LAWS ARE THAT THE STAMPED BODY NO IS THE CORRECT AND ONLY VIN NO EXCEPTED, NOT A PLATE AFFIXED WITH RIVETS , ALSO THE US TAG CAN BE DUPLICATED ETC BECAUSE IT HAS NO BUILD DATE/ OR ANY OTHER DETAILS ON IT INC A STAMPED MANUFACTURER , ALSO I UNDERSTAND YOU GUYS CANT REMOVE THE TAGS , WE CAN , IE LHD/RHD CONVERSION, DAMAGE REPAIRS , PAINTING ETC ETC , A "DASH " VIN TAG ON A DASH PAD MEANS NOTHING HERE AS I CAN BE CHANGED SIMPLY , AS IN A CHANGE OF DASHPAD SO THAT MEANS ITS A DIFFERENT CAR OTHER THERE BUT NOT HERE.THE REGITRATION LAWS DO NOT RECOGNISE THESE TYPES OF TAGS , ITS A STAMPED CHASSIS NO OR NOTHING , IF CAR DOESNT HAVE ONE , THEY ISSUE YOU A NUMBER THAT YOU STAMP ON YOURSELF AND THEN REGISTER THE CART.
T/A AND R/T............... IM GREEDY.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2007 - 08:02:22 AM »
I know that Galen has a service for fender tags if you have a broadcast sheet. couldn't you contact him to find out his opinion? if the fender tags are there then you get a VIN from that. does it have a legit title?? Id check with the state police and find out if its stolen before i hand over 15K. there are services out there to get a new title legally...
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2007 - 09:46:51 AM »
IT IS A VERY STRANGE CONCEPT A CAR IS NOT A CAR WITHOUT A VIN TAG , IN AUSTRALIA YOU CAN REGISTER A CAR WITHOUT ONE AS OUR LAWS ARE THAT THE STAMPED BODY NO IS THE CORRECT AND ONLY VIN NO EXCEPTED, NOT A PLATE AFFIXED WITH RIVETS , ALSO THE US TAG CAN BE DUPLICATED ETC BECAUSE IT HAS NO BUILD DATE/ OR ANY OTHER DETAILS ON IT INC A STAMPED MANUFACTURER , ALSO I UNDERSTAND YOU GUYS CANT REMOVE THE TAGS , WE CAN , IE LHD/RHD CONVERSION, DAMAGE REPAIRS , PAINTING ETC ETC , A "DASH " VIN TAG ON A DASH PAD MEANS NOTHING HERE AS I CAN BE CHANGED SIMPLY , AS IN A CHANGE OF DASHPAD SO THAT MEANS ITS A DIFFERENT CAR OTHER THERE BUT NOT HERE.THE REGITRATION LAWS DO NOT RECOGNISE THESE TYPES OF TAGS , ITS A STAMPED CHASSIS NO OR NOTHING , IF CAR DOESNT HAVE ONE , THEY ISSUE YOU A NUMBER THAT YOU STAMP ON YOURSELF AND THEN REGISTER THE CART.

...what if the body numbers are different (radiator number doesn't match cowl number) due to a previous accident, which number do they use then.....this would be a potential nightmare to track a car

...they must have Kangaroos working in the license bureaus :bigsmile: :roflsmiley: :bigsmile:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2007 - 09:48:41 AM by DAYTONA »

Offline ozrt4406

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007 - 10:04:26 AM »
WELL DAYTONA YOURE RIGHT ACCIDENT DAMAGED CARS , DIFFERENT SKIRTS , RAILS ETC , SOME CARS HAVE HAD FOR EG A S/WAG FRONT PUT ON WITH S/WAG NUMBERS THEN DEREG , THEN REREG AS A S/WAG LATER ON , I KNOW IT SOUNDS STRANGE TO YOU GUYS BUT IT WORKS QUITE WELL. WE HAVE STOLEN/WRITTEN OFF CAR REGISTERS HERE TO STOP THE REBODIE PROBLEM AS WELL AS A VIV SYSTEM , ( VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION VERIFICATION) FOR REREG OF DAMAGED VEHICLES , OUR LAWS WILL NOT ACCEPT VIN TAGS AS BODY NUMBERS AT ALL , IN FACT UP UNTIL A FEW YEARS AGO A VEHICLE WAS IDENTIFIED ONLY BY ENGINE NUMBER , NOT CHASSIS NO AT ALL BUT WE ARE USING VIN NOS NOW , ALL AUSTRALAIN BUILT VEHICLES MUST HAVE A 17 DIGIT VIN NUMBER OR NO REGO AT ALL UNLESS IT GETS AB ALLOCATED NUMBER.

Offline ozrt4406

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2007 - 10:08:45 AM »
THEY ONLY ACCEPT ONE SET OF NUMBERS , MOST LIKELY THE COWL NUMBERS AS THE SUPPORT PANEL COULD OF BEEN CHANGED ( ACCIDENT ) MY70 RT IS REG BY THE COWL NUMBERS OU110350, ON THE REGO PAPERWORK.

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2007 - 12:52:02 PM »
It's the same here in Norway, the tag on the dash is not valid as a VIN number, It has to be stamped in the chassis. However mopars do not have the whole number stambed. Some are requied to stamp the whole number some are not, I didn't have to, luckily.
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2007 - 02:21:42 PM »
It's the same here in Norway, the tag on the dash is not valid as a VIN number, It has to be stamped in the chassis. However mopars do not have the whole number stambed. Some are requied to stamp the whole number some are not, I didn't have to, luckily.

Your right, my whole VIN is not present on my Rad. Support

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2007 - 02:53:54 PM »
Not all Trans Am cars had the rolled fenders - some did, dome didn't.  It seemed to depend on the assembly line worker.

Mike

Thanks Mike AKA MJS73, I wasn't sure which logic applied to the AAR. The T/A's I've owned either had the rolled fenders or already had replacements. I haven't had a factory one without but I'm sure many made it out that way.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2007 - 03:20:26 PM »
Hey gang,

First of all, if the car was born an AAR, it is still an AAR. Having the original dash VIN missing does affect the value. You can get a state issued VIN tag for it assuming the car was not stolen. (Unless it was stolen and recovered)

Replacing the dash vin in the law quoted applies to removing and replacing the ORIGINAL tag, ie, removing the existing tag and putting it back on the same car, even then it should be witnessed by an LEO for your protection. It does NOT mean it is legal to have a second VIN tag made.

If you need to call with any questions I will help if I can, 907-225-2709 - Evenings after 5 pm my time are usually the best time to get me on the phone.

Barry