Author Topic: Return Fuel Lines...  (Read 906 times)

Offline Scott MH

Return Fuel Lines...
« on: September 28, 2007 - 02:10:57 PM »
are return fuel line necessary because i was going to just run a 3/8" fuel line from my tank to the Hemi...but do i need a return line?

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
Re: Return Fuel Lines...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007 - 02:23:24 PM »
I would use it along with the vapor separator.  Otherwise you run the rick of vapor lock when the engine compartment get hot.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline wiging19

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007 - 02:31:00 PM »
I don't think you have to have one.  It just helps prevent alot of minor problems.  Fuel purculating in the carb at shut down issues are one.  The hard to start on hot days after driving only a short time previously, different kind of bogging down issues when you have too much fuel in the carb.  Even a well tuned carb has some impact from sharp acceleration, deceleration and acceleration again (not that you would be doing any of that).  I'm sure someone else can come up with alot more explanations why it helps.  They are minor things and it all depends on how your going to drive your car.  I'd think with a hemi in the car you will probably be pushing it on occassion just for the heck of it and you'll find out what I'm talking about.  I had the same choice to make and I upgraded to the largest line from the fuel tank I could find.  Then the smallest standard line back.  I wanted to see if I could use the stock clips to hold them in but size made me have to use non standard clips.  In the end for me I just wanted to be sure my engine didn't have any problems with fuel starvation.  A problem with many high horse power engines using the standard lines that came with their cars originally.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007 - 05:18:56 PM »
I don't have a return line, but I have a spacer under the carb. to prevent the vapor lock headache.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Scott MH

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007 - 03:00:51 PM »
so what compents would be involved in adding a return line system?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007 - 04:40:54 PM »
! return line & mounting clips , the sender with the extra nipple or add one yourself to the sender you have & the vapor separator or a 3 line fuel filter

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t