Author Topic: Installed a new tank and fuelline - Need help  (Read 2666 times)

Offline LAA66

Installed a new tank and fuelline - Need help
« on: September 29, 2007 - 05:44:27 PM »
 I can't seem to get the fuel to the carb though the new fuel line. Does it need to be primed or something?

Starts fine after filling the float bowl but, dies after that fuel is gone.

When I pulled the hose at the (stock) fuel pump there was a suction sound like maybe a blockage to the tank. Bye the way, the sending unit was replaced as well.  :1zhelp:

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Installed a new tank and fuelline - Need help
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007 - 05:50:19 PM »
Make sure all of your rubber hoses have a GOOD tight connection. Any sucking of air will mess things up. I usually fill the bowls up at the carb and run it, it shoulddd catch up if all is well. You sure its got gas in it?  :biggrin:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007 - 05:52:18 PM »
Do you need a vented gas cap?
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007 - 06:03:26 PM »
Do you know if the fuel pump is good? When I replaced my solid fuel line, the fuel bowls were just about out of gas by the time the gas got sucked up thru the new line. It stalled once, then fired right up after that.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007 - 06:58:34 PM »
 Got gas.... 5.21 US gallons Goody:biggrin:. Checked the sender and it's clear, bubbles when blowing into the tank.. Will check the stainless line between tomorrow. Only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump diaphragm dried out during this 8 Weeks project. (BTW: 4 year old fuel pump)

Had the gas cap off also.

Ever notice we Mopar people all think alike?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007 - 07:22:54 PM »
Is it possible the new sending unit is not in correctly leaving the pickup above the fuel?
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007 - 09:27:28 PM »
are the hoses new , they can collapse inside resticting flow

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 74 340 4speed

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007 - 11:05:44 PM »
Loose clamps on the connections will definately cause it.  Other than that, I would say its the fuel pump. 
Andy
1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc 505 hp/506 ft lbs|4 speed|Posi|3.73s
1969 C/10  350|Turbo 350
1969 Dodge D300 318|4 speed|Dana|4.88s
1972Nova: 350|Turbo 350
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|posi
1999 Camaro SS: Auto|Longtube Headers|True Duals|TT2s
2013 Challenger R/T: 6 speed|Hurst with pistol grip|mopar performance exhaust|super track pak

Offline LAA66

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007 - 11:35:15 PM »
 Thanks for the advice everyone.  :wave: I'm pretty sure the sender is in right. Points directly at the hard line to the engine.

The hoses are all new and pretty flexible, I'll check that out tomorrow.

Clamps are as tight as I dare, kinda splaying out the ends even.

How would one check the fuel pump? That's my first instinct here,

Offline bandit67

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007 - 12:29:24 AM »
Pull the hose from the tank at the pump. If the tank has several gallons of gas in it, fuel should be running out. If not, slip a five foot peice of clear hose on the line to the tank and pull a vacuem on it. There are seveal ways to do this, ahand held vacuem pump being the safest. You can see when the fuel inters the clear line. When you are sure you have fuel to the pump , hook the hose back up to the pump. Get you a clear inline fuel filter and install just before the carb. Crank the motor, if the filter does not fill up, bad pump.  In my switch over to Mopars I have found  once the pumps dry out from being in service, they usually do not go back to working.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007 - 12:37:09 AM »
 :popcorn:  I'm just curious to see if it's the pump or what not.  I let my car sit for about a year after replacing the fuel tank and it started right up, not issues with the pump...  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007 - 07:19:23 AM »
Just to make sure the sending unit is installed right, is your gas gauge reading anything right now? Another check for the fuel pump would be to connect the input side of the pump to a gas can(run a short rubber line to the gas can). That way the gas has no distance to travel before it reaches the pump.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007 - 02:55:15 AM »

When I pulled the hose at the (stock) fuel pump there was a suction sound like maybe a blockage to the tank. Bye the way, the sending unit was replaced as well.  :1zhelp:

Well, you know the pump is trying to work, otherwise there wouldn't have been a vacuum in the supply line to the engine.

Somewhere between the pump and the fuel there is a blockage or collapsed hose. That is the only way you would have vacuum in the supply hose when you pulled it off. If you have a hand vacuum pump, see if you can pull fuel from the tank at the tank. That would narrow it down to something in the tank or something in the line/hose between the tank and the pump.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline LAA66

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007 - 09:42:04 AM »
 First off, any redemption points for honesty? :misbehaving:

Turns out I left the plastic cap on the end of the new fuel line and managed to fit the hose over it. It was kinda dark down there is my only excuse well,,, that and being a knucklehead.:banghead:  She started right up and runs fine.

The fuel gauge still reads low, same as with the factory sender I replaced. 1/8 of a tank with 5 gallons of fuel. The tank is advertised to hold 18 gallons.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007 - 11:43:56 AM »
First off, any redemption points for honesty? :misbehaving:

Turns out I left the plastic cap on the end of the new fuel line and managed to fit the hose over it. It was kinda dark down there is my only excuse well,,, that and being a knucklehead.:banghead:  She started right up and runs fine.

The fuel gauge still reads low, same as with the factory sender I replaced. 1/8 of a tank with 5 gallons of fuel. The tank is advertised to hold 18 gallons.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Well,

Removing the protective plastic cap off the end of the line was one possibility I didn't think of.  :grinno: Glad you found it.

If you short the blue wire going to the sending unit to ground, does your gas gauge read full with the key in the "on" position?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD