Author Topic: rough estimate to paint shaker hood to match car?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline longgone

rough estimate to paint shaker hood to match car?
« on: September 30, 2007 - 04:50:59 PM »
So if I went out and got a shaker hood setup for my 70 cuda, can anyone give me a rough estimate on what they think it would cost to have the hood painted to match the rest of the car?
My paint job is nice but nothing exotic or super detailed so I would imagine a lot of shops could do it.  I figure some of you have been through this so I thought I would ask.

Probably going to do it this winter.  :money:

Thanks
Blueglow

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: rough estimate to paint shaker hood to match car?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007 - 11:12:29 PM »
I'm assuming the hood is for the car pictured under your name. Plum crazy can be fun to match because of the metallic. Is the car painted in base clear or single stage? What brand of paint is it. We need more details about the paint on the rest of the car to get a more complete picture. Also how old is the paint job and has the car spent a lot of time in the sun?
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline longgone

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007 - 07:06:10 AM »
Paint is less than 12 months old, little time in the sun, single stage.  Has some metalic but not a lot.  No idea on the paint brand, was painted when I got the car.
Blueglow

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007 - 06:58:01 PM »
You should be able to have it matched for less than a grand, especially with it being single stage. If you can find out what paint was used because that will make it easier to match. Not all plum crazy's are created equally. Since the car was painted about a year ago with minimal sun the hood should fade pretty comparable to the rest of the car.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007 - 07:02:18 PM »
Would definitely consider painting the tops of the fenders and the header panel at the same time. That way if it is a little off, no one will notice, since you can't really look at the side and top of the car in the same light most of the time.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007 - 09:59:19 AM »
 :iagree:  If the metallic is off even a little, it will really stand out.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline cudacharlie

• 70 Cuda convert, 70 Charger R/T
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007 - 02:42:40 PM »
Man, it can be real hard to get a repainted plum crazy hood to match.... I know because my Charger blew an engine through the hood (fun!) and my new hood was painted not six months after the rest of the car was, by the same shop, and the match is way off.  They even did it over once to try and get it better, but after a few months the difference got worse....  it's super-easy to tell that my hood is a repaint, it looks awful.   :eek4:
70 Cuda convert
70 Charger R/T
06 Magnum SRT8

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007 - 04:40:35 PM »
Would definitely consider painting the tops of the fenders and the header panel at the same time. That way if it is a little off, no one will notice, since you can't really look at the side and top of the car in the same light most of the time.

Good call!!!  That's what I'd suggest :grinyes:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007 - 05:15:48 PM »
Good call!!!  That's what I'd suggest :grinyes:
:iagree:
Blending the tops and clearing the whole fender is the way to go. A base coat blend will be the easiest.
Dave

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007 - 07:28:11 AM »
I'd say $500, but no body work.. just prep. I'll prob grab one of those steel shaker hoods @ carslile and get it painted black. You can never have too many shaker hoods  lol.

:bigsmile:
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!