Author Topic: Conversion from manual to power steering  (Read 1585 times)

Offline mjb765

Conversion from manual to power steering
« on: September 30, 2007 - 08:13:56 PM »
Does anyone know of anybody that sells a complete kit to convert my 70 Challenger R/T 383 from maual to power steering? Maual brakes I can handle, but P/S would be nice.

Thanks

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Conversion from manual to power steering
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007 - 08:41:28 PM »
I don't know of anyone that sells a kit, but before I put power steering on my car I would look at the new manual box from flaming river. In order to switch from manual to power you will have to replace the steering column because the shaft lengths are different for manual and power steering boxes. Actually you just have to change the steering shaft. It is a lot easier to go from power to manual, because you can buy an adaptor to make up for the fact that the manual box requires a longer steering shaft. Also the power unit is a lot heavier because it is cast iron versus aluminum and it is a lot bulkier. Hope this helps.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007 - 09:39:56 PM »
Well I just so happen to have a 70 cuda pwr steering box, power shaft and coupling. You would need a pump , hose, and double pulley. I checked your profile. Why is it everyone is scared to put what state they live in. I'm in Alabama and you can have what I got for a hundred bucks. The unit has 43k original miles on it. Or I have a 74 challenger pwr box with 42k on it

Offline mjb765

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007 - 10:32:23 PM »
I'm in Long Island. Zip is 11590--not sure how much shipping would be. By the way--how difficult is it to change a steering shaft. With all that I have done over the years, I have never had to do a steering shaft. Does it come out of the column easily??

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007 - 02:12:43 AM »
it is not too hard to change , you need to get the upper column apart far enough to get to the snap ring above the brg in the upper housing , it is just below the turn signal switch , once the snap ring is off the shaft will slide out the bottom

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007 - 05:35:07 PM »
at the risk of running this post of track, I am looking for a good manual steering shaft (mine is FUBAR), if you are looking to recover some of your cost, let me know!
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline mjb765

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007 - 06:13:52 PM »
The car this was all for just fell through...oh well--thanks for all of the help.